Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,076,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
But we're talking about prostitution and abortion. They will continue to exist and have existed throughout history. It's just a fact. Wouldnt it be nice if these things didnt exist? But they do.

So what is to be done? Put a mature realistic argument out there, dont just moralize.

Put it this way. Do you want prostitution to stay the way it is now?
If we legalize it, it will increase just as abortion has increased. I don't know if we can afford the psychological implications of more and more women voluntarily allowing themselves to be objectified because society tells her its ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,258,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Do you not realize the idea that Prostitution should be illegal really only picked up steam with the Progressives and the Womens Christian Temperance Union in the late 1800s? When this nation was a "Christian" nation if you will Prostitution was legal or tolerated. Only when the moral police and the nanny staters got in charge was it outlawed.

You know the Catholic Church supports Prostitution as a necessary evil? Way back when the Pope figured that some men are going to cheat on their wives. So he said instead of the man trying to get with the guy's wife next door and causing disharmony let him keep other mens marriages inviolate and not prey on young girls and instead go to the local brothel and work off his "energy". In Catholic nations the act is almost completely legal. Just not in the good old United Nanny State of America.
I'm not Catholic and this flies in the face of what they purport to believe in. I'm concerned about society legitimizing the victimization of women. We have already sanctioned so many vices and all that does is increase the incidences of those particular vices. If we continue legalizing everything in the name of "oh .. it's gonna be done anyways" then we better prepare for anarchy.
Am I on ignore or something? I posted to you the practical realities of legal prostitution.

Last edited by delusianne; 10-31-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: removed misquote

Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,465,404 times
Quote:
So I presume that there will be an age-limitation set to control who can and can't prostitute their bodies? Don't forget, minors can obtain work permits and many hold down after school jobs. So what age do you advocates of legalized prostitution think a girl should be before going into what would be a legal profession?
There are certain jobs that children can't do.

For instance, you can't join the military unless you are 18.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,911,353 times
Quote:
So we should just abolish all laws and give in to anarchy then? Laws by their very nature, limit the freedoms of others.
Laws are meant to protect personal freedom, not take those away (as is true with this issue).

As for Anarchy versus Fascism, well, that would make for an interesting topic at another time.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,837,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
Liberals and Democrats make the claim that abortion is OK because a woman has a right to her own body.

So, do they either believe prostitution should be legal as well because a woman has a right to her own body, or do they just want to be able to abort pregnancies and only use that claim to benefit their particular stance?
yep! legalize it and make the hookers pay taxes on their tricks!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In the current situation, much prostitution is NOT simply a matter of "between client and provider". Prostitution in the country can be nasty for the prostitute. An 18 year old may be legally an adult, but she's not much more than a kid, in reality.
Our government doesn't believe so. If you want to bring up the drinking age (which I believe should be 18), then they could raise the age of consentual prostitution to 21.

Also, lest we forget, women mature at a much faster mental rate then men.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,079,455 times
Prostitution isn't going away. As long as it's illegal it'll be a dark and violent business. I tend to view a prostitute as someone with a product/service to sell no different than a contractor or a retailer. The difference is that contractors and retailers have regulations they follow, pay taxes, and are punished when they break the rules. They also don't live in fear and since are engage in legitimate business, no one is kidnapped, beaten, tortured, and brainwashed into becoming a retailer or a carpenter.

As far as abortion, while I do believe a woman has a right to do with her body as she pleases, once she become host to an entirely new human life, that's a contract that she should be bound to. Before you label me as a right-wing religious neocon, please remember that I'm an atheist and don't believe in immortal souls. I define a human life by very precise scientific statutes and have no philosophical psychobabble clouding my ideas. Simply put, a fetus does indeed fit the description of a human life. At that point the legal rights of the fetus must also be considered. While this may infringe upon the rights of the woman for several months, the abortion affects the legal rights of the fetus forever.

Except in rare cases, a woman has a great deal control as to whether she becomes pregnant or not. If she chooses not to use the safeguards available to her, then both she and her partner should be held responsible for their own actions. I don't believe in "god-given rights" but I do believe in rights afforded by law and a fetus, fulfilling the definition of a human (and I'm talking hard science, not philosophy), is also afforded the same rights.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,753,186 times
Quote:
It isn't sex but a business transaction that cheapens the woman to nothing more than a sexual toy to be cast aside. At least in marriage, sex is about mutual pleasure and not about getting your jollies at the expense of another human being.

I agree with alcohol and marijuana being poisons and they should be limited. Other folks freedom to abuse these substances have caused horrendous traffic accidents and countless loss of lives. Back to legalizing prostitution, do you honestly believe that a woman would freely enter a profession where she will be used and victimized by her john without some sort of coersion if it were legalized? If you do, I have a bridge to Hawaii I'd love to sell ya!
I am sorry. I really am not trying to convince you that your beliefs are wrong. You are entitled to believe what ever you like. All I am saying is that your beliefs are not a justification to restrict the freedoms of others.

It is not any individual's right to define "right" and "wrong" for everyone else. If you cannot prove that a particular individual is forcing someone to do something against their will, there simply is no crime being committed. Voluntary actions among people, no matter how repulsive that we may personally perceive those actions, should never be viewed as illegal. It is the use of force upon another which is not just. Voluntary agreements use no such force.

Some may wish to impose their will upon others by initiating force, but that would be an injustice upon everyone else. This is the thinking of tyrants, thugs, and criminals and not the thinking of just, free, and peaceful people. It is based not on reason and humility but rather megalomania and superiority.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,258,864 times
Quote:
If we legalize it, it will increase just as abortion has increased. I don't know if we can afford the psychological implications of more and more women voluntarily allowing themselves to be objectified because society tells her its ok.
If abortion has increased since the days when it was illegal, and Im not sure how that could be quantified, deaths of women and girls have decreased proportionately too. If prostitution increases because it's legal, that's at least their decision, and they can start or STOP at their own pace.

I asked earlier if you wanted prostitution to stay the way it is now, but I think I know the answer. I think for a lot of right wingers those girls and boys and men and women who become prostitutes on the street are an acceptable attrition, because they're poor and dirty and let themselves become familiar with nasty things like pimps and drugs.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The problem with your assumption, is that when its an illegal business, its hard to determine the numbers of people actually doing something.

Prostitution is the worlds oldest profession. There is a reason for this, it is something that always has, and always will be in demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies