Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,076,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Doesn't a carpenter give up control of what they are doing with their body when building a house for a client? A boxer? Anybody who uses physical labor to earn money? Be honest, what we are seeing is a result of a stigma attached to the evils of *gasp* sex.

We see the same nonsense about regulating and making illegal all sorts of non-crimes in this country. It is the use of force which makes an activity a crime, not personal beliefs.
The carpenter just gives up his/her rights to do whatever they please in order to get the job done. The carpenter is still viewed as a person and treated with respect. The prostitute allows the john to invade her actual body and to treat her as if she is a sexual plaything. It reduces the women as objects. What woman would VOLUNTARILY allow this to happen to her body? I don't care if prostitution is legal, only a desperate woman would allow this to happen to herself and society is making is legitimate? When the woman is cast aside, she feels nothing but shame and may wind up turning to substance abuse to numb that pain. These women need serious psychological help and not a sense of legitimacy for this harmful lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 PM

68,387 posts, read 54,647,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So 18 year olds are not old enough to drink but are somehow old enough to sell their bodies? Keep in mind that the 18-yr old was only a 17 year old kid just the year prior ....
They're certainly old enough to sell their bodies to the military

Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Those places in Nevada? Yes, they do. Not that they're nymphos, but for money. They may have the same inner mental problems a street corner prostitute may have or have delusional ideas that this makes them glamorous, but at least they're legal. That means they have mandated health checkups and so on, and they're not out on the corners heckling the passersby.
That does not take away the objectification that takes place of these women and society wants to turn a blind eye to that by making it legal? Do you think that society would offer these women help for getting out of "legal" professions?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,769,020 times
It could be the only way to get their money back from rich Republicans

Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,366,138 times
Quote:
That does not take away the objectification that takes place of these women and society wants to turn a blind eye to that by making it legal? Do you think that society would offer these women help for getting out of "legal" professions?
A "blind eye" is always turned to ignore an illegal act, not a legal one.

And, there are a lot of blind eyes on the "birther" and "truther" threads.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,532,845 times
Quote:
Yeah ... I think the reason why so many men advocate for legalization of prostitution is to make it easier for themselves to obtain the services of the sex laborer. Many men don't give a damn about the women they use or the lasting harmful effects that the woman has to live with. She is nothing more than an object to be used and cast aside.
That's an interesting motivator for some but not the primary one for me. I'm for legalizing marijuana usage, too. I don't smoke it, I don't want to smoke, I don't anticipate smoking it if it ever becomes legal. My primary motivation is freewill.

And if a woman is concerned about being used and case aside, then my recommendation to her is that she should not choose to enter the 'profession' and, instead, pursue some other line of work. If, however, she accepts these risks, then she should be allowed to choose to be a prostitute. I do not advocate forcing anyone to become a prostitute.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,258,864 times
Quote:
Yeah ... I think the reason why so many men advocate for legalization of prostitution is to make it easier for themselves to obtain the services of the sex laborer. Many men don't give a damn about the women they use or the lasting harmful effects that the woman has to live with. She is nothing more than an object to be used and cast aside.
You're assuming the prostitute's feelings get hurt in the business transaction.

Illegal prostitution = pimps, drug addiction, disease, highest bidder, complete exploitation and victimization-- nothing to discourage whatever problem that got the girl into this situation.

Legal prostitution = medical checkups, no exploitation, nothing involuntary, no drug addiction or disease if she wants to stay in business, likely smaller group of "regular" clientele, access to law enforcement and legal protection -- and without all the above hampering her, she has time and money and the clear eyes to get help for her problems if she wants it, or get out of the business. And probably a market would appear, counseling for prostitutes. (Surely there already is one but it would grow.) Group health insurance.

I agree it's awful that it exists, but since it will anyway it should be legal.

Last edited by delusianne; 10-31-2009 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: tinkering

Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
A "blind eye" is always turned to ignore an illegal act, not a legal one.

And, there are a lot of blind eyes on the "birther" and "truther" threads.
I don't subscribe to the "birther" or "truther" idealogies and ignore those threads to avoid getting those nutcases more legitimacy. If a woman is caught up in a harmful occupation that society deems as legal, then the urgency towards helping her is diminished. A woman who chooses to sell her body is sending out a serious cry for help. The fact that so many folks here are even advocating for the legalization of objectifying these women are taking the woman's lib movement backwards.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,175,161 times
Quote:
Ah ... There are many of us conservatives who feel that prostitution should remain illegal as well. When a prostitute sells her body, she is giving someone else the rights to do with her what they please. The girls caught up in this so-called profession are subjecting themselves to emotional harm and to being used by their johns just for a few bucks. The emotional effects outlasts whatever monetary compensation they receive.
But should the government be the ones to control this, government can not control morality. I happen to think prostitution is about the lowest of low, my opinion only, but I don't think this should be the governments place to decide. Not to mention, if it is legal the money being earned can be taxed and there may be greater control over health issues.

Nita

Old 10-31-2009, 12:53 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,175,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Republicans have always favored violence over sex.

When he two come together, as in the Richmond rape event, things are at their ugliest.
what a biased and stupid statement to make!!!!

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies