Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I used to feel that way, but the reality is that many young women, actually girls, are being forced to act involuntarily.
No one is supporting child prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,053,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, when it changes, I hope you would support it being legal, given the way you operate.
I don't always agree with the majority but in the case of prostitution being illegal, I wholeheartedly agree. If the public tide changes, I will still feel that prostitution should be illegal. Thank goodness that isn't the case for now.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,749,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Ah ... There are many of us conservatives who feel that prostitution should remain illegal as well. When a prostitute sells her body, she is giving someone else the rights to do with her what they please.
Do "conservatives" also believe that all forms of labor are as morally reprehensible and should thusly be illegal as well? How exactly would prositution differ from other forms of voluntary labor? Is it a crime because it has to do with...*whisper*...sex, *back to normal voice* between consenting adults?

Where there is no initiation of force there can be no crime.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So I presume that there will be an age-limitation set to control who can and can't prostitute their bodies? Don't forget, minors can obtain work permits and many hold down after school jobs. So what age do you advocates of legalized prostitution think a girl should be before going into what would be a legal profession?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,871,279 times
Quote:
I don't always agree with the majority but in the case of prostitution being illegal, I wholeheartedly agree. If the public tide changes, I will still feel that prostitution should be illegal. Thank goodness that isn't the case for now.
Then don't trumpet your support for the majority, if you're going to be a flip flopper. Just say, you believe people should be told what they can or cannot do with choices in their personal lives, and that the government has every right to take away their personal choices.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,220,242 times
Quote:
Why? To make it easier to be victimized and used by her johns? To place society's stamp of approval and validate this lifestyle which only leads to emotional harm for the prostitute?
No, Chatteress, because if it's legal then there would be no more impetus to shanghai girls into it. No more pimps on the corner, no more pimp wars or whatever, no more junkies in the business.

If it's legal the prostitute is willingly going into a state-regulated market on his or her own or as a subcontractor.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,508,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatteress View Post
so i presume that there will be an age-limitation set to control who can and can't prostitute their bodies? Don't forget, minors can obtain work permits and many hold down after school jobs. So what age do you advocates of legalized prostitution think a girl should be before going into what would be a legal profession?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,749,511 times
Quote:
So I presume that there will be an age-limitation set to control who can and can't prostitute their bodies? Don't forget, minors can obtain work permits and many hold down after school jobs. So what age do you advocates of legalized prostitution think a girl should be before going into what would be a legal profession?
I would assume that age would be the same as most of our laws regarding "adults". Namely, the age of eighteen.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Do "conservatives" also believe that all forms of labor are as morally reprehensible and should thusly be illegal as well? How exactly would prositution differ from other forms of voluntary labor? Is it a crime because it has to do with...*whisper*...sex, *back to normal voice* between consenting adults?

Where there is no initiation of force there can be no crime.
Prostitution causes emotional harm for the women caught up in this lifestyle. When a woman allows a complete stranger to do what he (or she) pleases with her body, she is giving up her rights for monetary compensation. We barely have enough health care as it is so how are we going to protect these women from the emotional damages and health ramifications of her profession? At least the illegal status of prostitution is a deterrant for many women but make it legal, more would enter the profession with society's seal of approval.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
In the current situation, much prostitution is NOT simply a matter of "between client and provider". Prostitution in the country can be nasty for the prostitute. An 18 year old may be legally an adult, but she's not much more than a kid, in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies