Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Because there is a discrepancy between the way Medicare works and the way most insurance plans work. For one thing, Medicare cannot negotiate on behalf of its insureds for better prescription prices. We need to close that gap, and coopt the advantages of both types of plans.
yes they do..
Medicare.gov - MPDPF: Intro
Quote:
"Sixty-two percent of all bankruptcies filed in 2007 were linked to medical expenses... Of those who filed for bankruptcy in 2007, nearly 80 percent had health insurance.

Daily Dose - New Study: Bankruptcy Tied To Medical Bills

And before you say it, although some of the debt was due to being out of work and lost income, the bigger issue is that during that time, insurance coverage is often DROPPED.
We've seen the study numerous times, relinking it wont change the facts that people file bankruptcy due to loss of INCOME..

Did you even read the report on how these were counted?
92% of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5000, or 10% of pretax family income. The rest met criteria for medical bankruptcy because they had lost significant income due to illness or mortgaged a home to pay medical bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Because there is a discrepancy between the way Medicare works and the way most insurance plans work. For one thing, Medicare cannot negotiate on behalf of its insureds for better prescription prices. We need to close that gap, and coopt the advantages of both types of plans.

"Sixty-two percent of all bankruptcies filed in 2007 were linked to medical expenses... Of those who filed for bankruptcy in 2007, nearly 80 percent had health insurance.

Daily Dose - New Study: Bankruptcy Tied To Medical Bills

And before you say it, although some of the debt was due to being out of work and lost income, the bigger issue is that during that time, insurance coverage is often DROPPED.
And once again, instead of fixing what is broke, we just absorb it all with a new government program.... swell. I'm glad you are fine with all this crap.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:51 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Topic Title; Congress Passes Health Care Reform Bill

Not only do you not even read your own posts, you also have the topic title of this thread wrong
I didn't create the title, which is obviously wrong. CONGRESS has not passed the bill, the House has. The Senate still has to go through the process.

And multiple requests have been made to the mods to edit the title to that effect.

SOMEONE hasn't read the thread he is posting in.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes they do..
Medicare.gov - MPDPF: Intro

We've seen the study numerous times, relinking it wont change the facts that people file bankruptcy due to loss of INCOME..
Really? Because no one has posted it in this thread. Try reading the studies that are posted before assuming you've seen them before. It really doesn't help your clout to announce that you ignore facts.

Quote:
Did you even read the report on how these were counted?
92% of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5000, or 10% of pretax family income. The rest met criteria for medical bankruptcy because they had lost significant income due to illness or mortgaged a home to pay medical bills.
Yes, and I've done other research. For example:

"That was actually the predominant problem in patients in our study -- 78 percent of them had health insurance, but many of them were bankrupted anyway because there were gaps in their coverage like co-payments and deductibles and uncovered services," says Woolhandler. "Other people had private insurance but got so sick that they lost their job and lost their insurance."
Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies - CNN.com

Do your homework. I can't hold your hand the entire way.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,206 times
Quote:
I didn't create the title, which is obviously wrong. CONGRESS has not passed the bill, the House has. The Senate still has to go through the process.

And multiple requests have been made to the mods to edit the title to that effect.

SOMEONE hasn't read the thread he is posting in.
So we change one word in the title ... um ... "HOUSE" Passes Health Care Reform.

Actually, the real subject here is, "Government Mandate Passed" .. or "Entitlement Program Passed" ...

This garbage legislatoin has more to do with unlawful taxation than it has to do with anything else IMO

Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
An employer can just pay a tax and then make the employee deal with the hastles of getting their own care, be it public or their own private, they are out of the loop. When you said an employer is not eligable for the public option you were wrong. All they have to do is cancel their current policies in place and pay the tax, they absolutely can go to the public option..
Quote:
No, they can't. Their employees can, but once the employer drops private coverage, the employer has lost a bargaining chip that attracts employees, because they are no longer involved in the health insurance game in any way, shape, or form. Thus, the corporation does NOT have a public option.
Do you really think individuals will care about a lack of "corporate" coverage if they can just pickup the phone and sign up for a "government" option? All I'd care about at that point is pay. Is my pay sufficient enough to pay my bills and pay for the NEW tax.

I love this new liberal argument that it wasnt an incentive before the public care to offer care but now that a public option might pass, its all of a sudden an incentive to offer care.

Are you telling me the government option will be inferior to the private options?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Really? Because no one has posted it in this thread. Try reading the studies that are posted before assuming you've seen them before. It really doesn't help your clout to announce that you ignore facts.
Do you think you are providing us with new data that has never been discussed here before?
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...cal+bankruptcy

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tries-uhc.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ankruptcy.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ical-debt.html

And there are more..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't have loads of free time to read EVERY thread on C-D.

My statement, that the study I posted has not been posted in THIS thread, holds true.

Really, is that the best you can do?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't have loads of free time to read EVERY thread on C-D.

My statement, that the study I posted has not been posted in THIS thread, holds true.

Really, is that the best you can do?
Is the search button to difficult for you to click?

Here, you can save this posting so you can easily figure it out in the future
//www.city-data.com/forum/search.php

Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Do you really think individuals will care about a lack of "corporate" coverage if they can just pickup the phone and sign up for a "government" option? All I'd care about at that point is pay. Is my pay sufficient enough to pay my bills and pay for the NEW tax.

I love this new liberal argument that it wasnt an incentive before the public care to offer care but now that a public option might pass, its all of a sudden an incentive to offer care.

Are you telling me the government option will be inferior to the private options?
The incentive has always been there - it is an employee benefit. The reform aims to help those who are self-employed, or contractors, or work for companies that are too small or too part-time oriented to offer coverage.

I am not saying the public option will be inferior to the private option per se, but the best reform will make the current employer plans more attractive to those for whom they are available, as well as to the employers themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies