Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post
I believe it is a no brainer and it is the right of every American citizen every human but we will not even go there) to have their health and the ability to be treated by doctors etc.

What do you all feel about that?
Food is MUCH more important than health care. You can't live longer than a couple weeks without it.

Where's your post saying that food is a "right"? Are you for "universal food"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Get a clue. There are many, many people with considerable income -- including some doctors -- who support socialized medicine and who are willing to pay taxes to provide health care for everyone. It's cheaper than the crap system we have.

I got a clue, sonnyboy. We (meaning me and you) are better off arguing the War Between the States and/or the Confederate Battle Flag...

Answer ONE SIMPLE QUESTION:

IF THERE WERE NO DOCTORS? WOULD HEALTH CARE STILL BE A RIGHT?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:52 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I got a clue, sonnyboy. We (meaning me and you) are better off arguing the War Between the States and/or the Confederate Battle Flag...

Answer ONE SIMPLE QUESTION:

IF THERE WERE NO DOCTORS? WOULD HEALTH CARE STILL BE A RIGHT?
I didn't address the health-care-as-a-right issue and don't intend to.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You mean as opposed to the support posted for that oft repeated idea that only those who want to take from others are in favor of socialized medicine? You know, just the lazy bums who won't get off their fat asses and work and want handouts from others support it? Your side has been posting unsupported and unsupportable bull**** about who is in favor of what since the topic came up.

Here's the support for the doctor claim: Physicians for a National Health Program - Health Care is a Human Right

I'm not even going to bother supporting the "many, many people" statement. You have to be brain dead to not know that many, many people support it, even if that "many, many" is less than the majority. Hell, there are many, many people on this board who support it.
More laughable pablum.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Are you saying only conservative evangelical Republicans give to charity, volunteer, or help someone in need? Ridiculous.

Oh, and it is spelled their - analogous - ancient - sergeant - just trying to help someone out

Well as a matter of fact conservatives contribute about 30% more!

Conservatives Give More to Charity than Liberals? - Casting Stones

Old 11-14-2009, 02:32 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Are you saying only conservative evangelical Republicans give to charity, volunteer, or help someone in need? Ridiculous.

Oh, and it is spelled their - analogous - ancient - sergeant - just trying to help someone out
Nope. Not saying that at all. Who said anything about evangelicals or republicans? What I am saying is that liberals tend to be fairly greedy and do not want to contribute any of thier own personal wealth or labor to the causes they promote. That is a very hollow level of committment, but that appears to be the case in most instances.

Next time you consider a liberal position, ponder these issues-

1. "Global warming". Ask a lib to stop consuming meat, stop driving thier car, or to turn down thier air conditioning or heat

2. "Save the........... (fill in the blank for any particular animal)". Ask a lib to pay double for thier electric bills for the trout, guppie, or whatever and they will freak out. They would prefer to grill them rather than have THEIR bills go up.

3. Immigration. It is all good and fine until someone has to pay for it. Ask any lib to pay the health insurance cost for just ONE illegal immigrant, or the cost of educating ONE illegal immigrant child. Again- "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!". Illegal immigration is just fine, as long as someone else pays for it. The job of the liberal is to appear concerned for humanity, but then turn thier back on their fellow man when it involves some sacrfice.

4. Racial quotas. Of course! Ask any lib to give up thier personal promotion for a minority.

5. Trade policies. Despite the damaging nature of cheap imported goods (or expensive ones for that matter), ever see a lib buy American at the expense of a cheaper foriegn product? No way! That would cost more!

6. Torture. Every single lib in the US would EAGERLY torture (probably with thier own hands) a terrorist if they knew the information gained would save the life of THIER child. If other people's kids die, that is perfectly okay, as it is better to preserve one's sense of "decency" and have other fellow citizens perish.

7. Death sentences. If a lib's child was savagely raped and murdered by a twisted criminal, a lib's view of the death penalty would take a dramatic turn. If a murder kills other people's children, it is just fine.

8. Taxes. High taxes are very good for society. Yet ask a lib to pay higher taxes or volunatarily pay more to the feds (this is an option), they will flatly refuse. They want OTHER people to pay taxes, but not them, heaven forbid, they ALREADY PAY "payroll taxes". Wow- thanks for the fair share.

9. Homeless. How many libs have opened their homes to the homeless? They are dirty! No way! NIMBY!

Liberalism- the religion of shallow values and false virtue.

PS- thanks for the spelling corrections. I have also noted that libs are more concerned with such gramatical errors and the appearance of process, rather than information and final results. It is analagous to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I have my secretaries correct my spelling errors, as I am no longer in school.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:46 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Nice comment,better if u replace the term "liberal " with the term "progressive "...
The original meaning of the term liberal is close to "libertarian ",a person who centers his philosophy on liberty...

Old 11-14-2009, 05:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
When you speak in the right/privilege binary, you miss a great point. Health is a public interest. It is good to have a healthy society in the same way it is good to have a well educated society. A large segment of society being unhealthy or uneducated is a liability in a competitive world.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:01 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
When you speak in the right/privilege binary, you miss a great point. Health is a public interest. It is good to have a healthy society in the same way it is good to have a well educated society. A large segment of society being unhealthy or uneducated is a liability in a competitive world.
To some extent I agree. I am not opposed to the concept of reform. I am opposed to a program that is not substainable from a financial perspective. Mandate a payroll tax on all employees at a rate that keeps the program deficit neutral and I'll support it.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Nice comment,better if u replace the term "liberal " with the term "progressive "...
The original meaning of the term liberal is close to "libertarian ",a person who centers his philosophy on liberty...
You are correct, tho the distinction has been lost (and the practical meaning fundamentally inverted) in common parlance. So even those of us who know the difference use "liberal" so as to meet the common understanding, rather than constantly having to explain what we meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies