Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 PM

208 posts, read 476,476 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/14/us/politics/14immig.html

"The Obama administration will insist on measures to give legal status to an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants as it pushes early next year for legislation to overhaul the immigration system, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Friday."

It should be clear enough that recent presidents and their administrations have been encouraging and fostering immigration from Mexico, legal and illegal. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, while governor of Arizona, demonstrated support of illegal's and illegal immigration all the while she was governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Here is my input-

Trust me. I am not just some typical liberal who wants illegals to come and live here BUT I think that the smartest thing for us to do is go ahead and give the illegals in this country now legal status. ONLY BECAUSE they can pay back into our system and it would cost wayyy too much to gather them all and deport them.

Make them legal (I hate it too-TRUST me) AND THEN make border security so tight that even a cricket cannot go through with the tax money THEY will start paying.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Here is my input-

Trust me. I am not just some typical liberal who wants illegals to come and live here BUT I think that the smartest thing for us to do is go ahead and give the illegals in this country now legal status. ONLY BECAUSE they can pay back into our system and it would cost wayyy too much to gather them all and deport them.

Make them legal (I hate it too-TRUST me) AND THEN make border security so tight that even a cricket cannot go through with the tax money THEY will start paying.
Haven't we tried the "give them amnesty then close the boarders" thing before? It probably encouraged more to come in hopes for another amnesty. And here we are.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:54 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Haven't we tried the "give them amnesty then close the boarders" thing before? It probably encouraged more to come in hopes for another amnesty. And here we are.
Yes but I honestly do not believe that we try hard enough to secure the border. I remember reading this article once where there are like 2 border security people who are protecting their section of the border.

Instead of investing so much into our military why not even take a fraction of that and invest it border security?

I honestly do think this would work. Our politicians are just not serious about it.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:25 AM

413 posts, read 562,311 times
WHAT IS INSANITY???

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Congress has passed 7 amnesties for illegal aliens, starting in 1986.

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti

6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens

HELP STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.......MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD: NumbersUSA | For Lower Immigration Levels - For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/ - broken link)

SUPPORT AND DONATE TO NUMBERSUSA: Donate | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

Old 11-14-2009, 01:32 AM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Add this nonsense to the list of CHANGES that America voted for in '08.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 AM

403 posts, read 535,130 times
great!
now the economy should be the #1 issue in america now.

put them in the system & tax them like everyone else

let them work the LEGAL minimum wage or better like everyone else. no more getting paid under the table or greedy employers looking for cheap labor. let their employment status be determined by their qualifications & not by how much money they'll keep in the CEO's pocket.

create new jobs & put everyone back to work so we can afford to pay for our own health insurance & provide health insurance to the disabled & needy.

invest in the jobs for the middle class

then we can be one big ass happy family without a bunch of people whining about the illegals unless somehow the democrats & republicans will find a way to screw it all up

Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
liberalvoice: Tom Brokaw had a excellent series on this issue years ago and it was quite a eye opener.
The US doesn't provide enough temporary work Visas to Mexicans who should be able to travel back and forth while their VISAS are valid.

The US needed to grant yearly temporary work Visas of around 450,000 a year to work in agriculture and other fields but less than 1/10th was handed out to illegals.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 AM

744 posts, read 1,210,276 times
It won't be long now and our economy will force me to sneak into mexico looking for work!!!! Making them legal will just encourage them to have family members come in take the jobs they were doing (getting paid under the table) then they can claim unemployement or get government assistance all the while not contributing their fair share. We need to secure the border first then actually deport the ones that are not working at all. Grant amnesty to the ones that deserve it.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterwilco View Post
why do we need 450,000 mexicans to work in agriculture when we have 10.2% unemployment or over 15,000,000 unemployed Americans?aren't those "green" "shovel ready" jobs?or is it those are jobs Americans won't do? as if there should even be "jobs that 15,000,000 unemployed"Americans won't do.are there not atleast 450,000 innercity kids with no skills capable of picking strawberries in L.A. ? I think I know the answer.....why pick strawberries when free money is available,money that other people worked for that was confiscated by the government and redistributed.during the great depression families migrated to California for the OPPERTUNITY to pick strawberries, today this notion is considered absured.and that is absured.
The common argument is that these are jobs that americans won't fill but that's BS. They won't fill them because the illegals have driven the wages down for those jobs. Someone has to pick the strawberries and if there is no one willing to do it for $7 an hour then they'll offer $8 , $9 or whatever it takes to get someone to do it. It's also a hindrance to innovation for higher paying jobs as we could have someone building and servicing robots to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies