Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I hope all this angst between Dems and Reps passes and we can unite as a country to represent ourselves to the world.
Isnt that what Obama campaigned on? Much to the current chagrin of independents and moderates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 PM

757 posts, read 802,949 times
Considering the stinking pile of crap George W Bush left the country, I think Obama is doing great. It's odd the way Republicans act like Bush never existed. The Stock Market has recovered greatly. The economy grew for the first time since Bush left office. Ahead of schedule getting out of Iraq. Healthcare reform. Restoration of our place in the World Community. Not a bad first year in office.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
As president I think he has been terrible. As a punchline to jokes from around the world he has been perfect. If you do not think other countries are not laughing you have not traveled recently.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Considering the stinking pile of crap George W Bush left the country, I think Obama is doing great. It's odd the way Republicans act like Bush never existed. The Stock Market has recovered greatly. The economy grew for the first time since Bush left office. Ahead of schedule getting out of Iraq. Healthcare reform. Restoration of our place in the World Community. Not a bad first year in office.
OK now you said the stock market has recovered greatly. What do you see as the evidence of that. Ahead of schedule for getting out of IRAQ, again I still know alot of Marines there fighting with no end date. Health care reform that has not passed and that hopefully will never pass. And he has put our place in the world community as one of subserviant not the dominant nation we should be. Yeah great first year in office.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
How do you feel President Obama has handled his first 10 months in office?
From one to ten: 3

He has done nothing but to spend. The bailouts only helped retain government jobs and programs, and stuff the pockets of the people and companies in charge of the largest banks, and the Stock Market. Norh Korea and Iran stick their middle finger at Obama quite frequently, he is pushing for a disastrous health care change, and is surrounded by people who will probably destroy him at the end. For example, bringing 9/11 terrorists to be tried in NY is a horrendous idea. He should have left that to the military courts. He is now visiting China, and China has already told him to pay the money we owe them instead. Not only that, but bowing to other world leaders like he is kissing butt.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Palin gives Barrack a 4 out of 10...
I tend to agree, as the Washington pinheads are driving the
dollar lower every day and have no clue about politics.
Foreign policy is very sad...healthcare is worst ever....cap and trade
will top off and drown the USA for good!
Yes all signs point in the direction where Obama wants this country
to ultimately fail!

He has many radical friends...
Always will not admit there is a war on terror!
Fort Hood was not a terrorist attack according to Obama.

These WP's are killing me and we need change fast!

Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Trying to limit ammo for gun owners, right to bear arms. Currently in Chicago trying to get them to reverse that Amedment in the city.

Lowered the Payroll Tax? Are you kidding me? An extra $2 a week is not quite fixing our economic standings.
$2 a week? Sorry bout your luck I guess... I didn't ask for it, I don't necessarily want it, but the difference in my pay check is between $100 and $200 a month.

As to your example. Is this something he's done as President? Or is it something Chicago-specific? Currently gun laws seem to be a state-to-state thing. I've seen no push to limit guns or ammunition on the federal level by Obama.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:17 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
OK now you said the stock market has recovered greatly. What do you see as the evidence of that.
Dow Jones Industrial Average Index Chart - Yahoo! Finance

I am admittedly not a big proponent of using the stock market as an overall indicator for the health of our economy, but since you asked.....

I'd say from 6500 to over 10000 (a 50% increase) is recovery.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I certainly hope you were calling for Bushes impeachment.

Add a poll to this thread.

And I approve overall. Just like around 54% of our country.
Please provide me with a list of what Bush did that wasn't Constitutional. I'm not a big fan of his but he was worlds better than what we have now.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Cite the amendment he violated.

"Expressing desire" doesn't violate the Constitution I don't believe. If any justice were to begin legislating based solely on their personal biases and not using the rule of law there'd most certainly be an ethics violation for that justice, but that wouldn't be on Obama.

Yeah, I was perusing the Constitution and saw nothing on this. Help me out here.

Fancy name for lowering taxes on some and raising taxes on others. Now that an income tax is constitutional, and has been for a century or so, what amendment does this violate?

Why aren't tax breaks for oil companies "unconstitutional"?

I think you're confusing, "I don't agree with it" for "unconstitutional". You know they aren't synonyms, right?

Actually the forefathers who WROTE the Constitution designed it to BE a "living, breathing" document. Obama didn't coin that phrase. Either way, you haven't stated anything above that violates anything written within the Constitution, so it appears that YOU would have to get a new amendment in order to make any of this "unconstitutional".

Now this isn't meant to be read that I agree with everything that Obama has done. All it's meant to show is that my disagreement doesn't magically make something "unconstitutional"... Again, seems to be a word that the Right is throwing around a lot without knowing a darned thing about the Constitution.
If it isn't spelled out in the Constitution, It's not within the Fed's powers. You say you know The Constitution? HAH! It was NEVER intended to be a living document. Anyone who thinks that is a very ignorant of our history and the mindset of our Founding Fathers. They had a total mistrust of an overpowering Federal Government and the Constitution was designed to control the Federal Government's powers. By stating it's a living document you show you have no knowlege of it at all.
If you really think dedistributing wealth is just another way of lowering taxes, you are way beyond help. Who says income tax is Constitutional? just because it's been in effect for a long time doesn't mean it's Constitutional. This has been unsuccessfully challenged many times. You really do not have any true knowlege of The Constitution no matrer how many times you may have read it. You need to comprehent too ya know? You're dismissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies