Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You just made me laugh with this one. The day of the car chase I was in the labor room beging the doctor for some drugs, there was a TV in the room and I was yelling at the TV... "no OJ NO...You stupid"....
We laughed at the car chase too. Really...where was he going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Nice spin. It has everything to do with what this thread is about. Do you EVER see any black communities come out and denounce any crimes committed by their residets? NO! All you see is full SUPPORT for the thugs if anything. Let me be the first to let you in on something, stereotypes are made from truth.
You are wrong on that front regarding FULL SUPPORT. There are many black neighborhoods that march within their own community denouncing violence in the community. My area has a march once per year regarding this and I am sure that other areas have one also. Aside from that, if something occurs that I have no clue about why would I be in the street talking about it. If a black guy in Alabama does something, why would I, in New York, come out of my apartment and have some kind of rally to denounce what he did? Does anyone else do this or is this something that for whatever reason Black people are supposed to do.

As far as stereotypes being made from the truth, I could probably list stereotypes about every culture that there is that have no basis in fact but may be truthful to some people. Truth is a very slippery thing since we all perceive truth differently. Your truth may not be my truth and vice versa.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You just made me laugh with this one. The day of the car chase I was in the labor room beging the doctor for some drugs, there was a TV in the room and I was yelling at the TV... "no OJ NO...You stupid"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
We laughed at the car chase too. Really...where was he going?
Yea, it was pretty funny. All you could do is look at it and wonder what he was thinking. I mean you probably could have jogged next to him on the highway as he was making his "getaway" .

Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, and how exactly is that suppose to come about? What sort of enforcement mechanism would you suggest for bringing about compliance with these "higher" standards?

When white folks figure out how to get their underclass to obey the rules of good citizenry I will be eagerly await the publication of how you did it.
Exactly. I'm not sure how to handle the rural meth problem and all the crime that generates, for example. I'm not sure anyone else is either.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But is it correct to classify that as "White Unity"? Or simply a segment of the White population with an agenda?

The issue is that you are viewing the Black population a singular voice. You are ignoring the fact that the majority of Black voters are Democrats. These same people watched pre-election coverage of the McCain campaign that was not appealing as far as what would change from the GWB administration.

Did some people vote for Obama simply because he is Black? Sure. Did some people vote for Hillary because she is a woman? Sure. Does this equate to "Black Unity" or "Female Unity"? Not really.
Let's start with your first point.

Ok, lets set aside the term "unity" for a moment. Could the election of Obama by 95% of the black vote not be a segment of the Black population with an agenda? Afterall, its pretty evident that 95% is an extreme mandate.

Even if that's the case, could that "agenda" not be a showing of unity by definition? Black people were unified in their vote, an "agenda" if you will.

So why then is it hard to believe that the concept of black unity exists? 95%. Think about that number.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Let's start with your first point.

Ok, lets set aside the term "unity" for a moment. Could the election of Obama by 95% of the black vote not be a segment of the Black population with an agenda? Afterall, its pretty evident that 95% is an extreme mandate.

Even if that's the case, could that "agenda" not be a showing of unity by definition? Black people were unified in their vote, an "agenda" if you will.

So why then is it hard to believe that the concept of black unity exists to further the agenda of black people?
Since 1960, the large majority of voting black people have voted for Democrats in General elections for a number of reasons. Last year, they continued to do so. Maybe more of them registered to vote, but more young people did too. Why did more young people register to vote last year than usual? What is the source of perhaps national unity among young people?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Since 1960, the large majority of voting black people have voted for Democrats in General elections for a number of reasons. Last year, they continued to do so. Maybe more of them registered to vote, but more young people did too. Why did more young people register to vote last year than usual? What is the source of perhaps national unity among young people?
Political apathy is a major contributor to low election turnouts at every level, and has been since the founding of the nation. At this point, its nearly impossible to narrow down the plethora of reasons that so many new (young) voters registered for the 2008 election. However, it is a bit more understandable that 95% of black voters voted for Barack Obama. People have different reasons for voting the way they do, but it will take a very convincing argument to reinforce the notion that skin color did not play a factor in the 2008 election, particularly among black people. 95% is far more than politics as usual.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Political apathy is a major contributor to low election turnouts at every level, and has been since the founding of the nation. At this point, its nearly impossible to narrow down the plethora of reasons that so many new (young) voters registered for the 2008 election. However, it is a bit more understandable that 95% of black voters voted for Barack Obama. People have different reasons for voting the way they do, but it will take a very convincing argument to reinforce the notion that skin color did not play a factor in the 2008 election, particularly among black people. 95% is far more than politics as usual.
I'm not so sure. I bet the percentage of black voters voting for Kerry in 2004 was likely around 95% too, maybe minus a percentage point or two. I'm at work and have a million things to do, but maybe I'll look it up when I get home.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I'm not so sure. I bet the percentage of black voters voting for Kerry in 2004 was likely around 95% too, maybe minus a percentage point or two. I'm at work and have a million things to do, but maybe I'll look it up when I get home.
88% of the black vote went to Kerry in 2004 according to the Manhattan Institute. A seven percentage point spread in electoral politics is a huge difference. If George W. Bush had beaten Kerry by 7 points, it would have been considered a mandate. If Obama's approval rating soared or tanked by 7 points tomorrow, either side would be up in arms. 95% anything in electoral politics is truly an amazing feat.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Shame can also do a lot for a whole group. Look at when the Virginia Tech killer turned out to be Korean. It was as if the entire country of Korea apologized, hung their heads, and expressed remorse. Korean churches set up charities. Koreans all over denounced him. Instead of blaming others, they examined themselves. Self-examination is the FIRST STEP to correcting oneself. If one refuses to do that as an individual OR community, there is absolutely no hope for improvement.

If a crime shames an entire community, "shame" might, just might be a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies