Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

I opinion on this issue echos what most others have said.

Living with your parents until a later age isn't a bad idea if you are going to school or saving up to buy your own home. The problem though, is that these days, people in my generation (y), just stay at home until their mid twenties because they are lazy.

I have two cousins both in my age group. One of them (age 26) is a successful mechanic who continues to live with his parents because they own a farm and having an extra hand helps out. The family is always speculating how much money he has saved up because he hasn't ever had any rent/mortgage payments to make since he started his job out of high school. lol. This situation is fine to me. Works out great for both the parents and the son/daughter living with them.

The other one, who is just a year younger than me, does nothing but stay on drugs. He can never hold a job and the thought of going to school is laughable to him. He needs to just get kicked out of the house but his mom 'loves' him too much to do that.

I personally moved out of my house 3 weeks after graduating high school. Senior in college now and I don't regret it one bit. I love drinking, partying, and bringing home one night stands; none of which my parents would enjoy having in their house. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,736 times
Anyone who doesnt think theres nothing wrong with living at their parents has yet to ever attempt to get laid in his parents house, post-high school. I have yet to hear a story that did not end either badly or horrifically.

Adults live on their own. Children live with parents.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I'd bet kids that lived with their parents longer are probably the one's with lower divorce rates?? I'd be interested to see if anyone has a statistic on that, because if you do, your parents are usually almost always right about who you shouldn't marry. They may not know who you should, but they certainly know you and have keen insight into who you shouldn't start a life with.

It's a beneficial thing in my opinion and keeps kids out of stupid reckless mistakes, that they do not always need to learn the hard way.
I would tend to think not. When a grown man or woman believes it's fine to run home to momma anytime things don't go quite right, I think they would be the kind more inclined to divorce over anything trivial.

When people realize they have to cut the apron strings, grow up and make it on their own, they would be more adult about everyone.

And no - parents are not who should be picking out your spouse. That's another reason for someone to grow up at some point.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I opinion on this issue echos what most others have said.

Living with your parents until a later age isn't a bad idea if you are going to school or saving up to buy your own home. The problem though, is that these days, people in my generation (y), just stay at home until their mid twenties because they are lazy.

I have two cousins both in my age group. One of them (age 26) is a successful mechanic who continues to live with his parents because they own a farm and having an extra hand helps out. The family is always speculating how much money he has saved up because he hasn't ever had any rent/mortgage payments to make since he started his job out of high school. lol. This situation is fine to me. Works out great for both the parents and the son/daughter living with them.

The other one, who is just a year younger than me, does nothing but stay on drugs. He can never hold a job and the thought of going to school is laughable to him. He needs to just get kicked out of the house but his mom 'loves' him too much to do that.

I personally moved out of my house 3 weeks after graduating high school. Senior in college now and I don't regret it one bit. I love drinking, partying, and bringing home one night stands; none of which my parents would enjoy having in their house. Haha.
Well in your case I would say you would be better served if you still lived at home. One night stands---you have got to be kidding. How gross. You never heard of AIDS? You may live longer if you stayed at home.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
One has to question when and why multi-generational households became an issue in this country. No one had a problem with it prior to the 60's. What's wrong with families living together and supporting each other? Why are so many willing to live with total strangers -- and we all know how badly that can work out -- but not their own family? How did we go from multi-generational families being the norm to being a negative? Why do we all need to live alone in our own households? What's the point?

Of course, for multi-generational households to work, all generations must have respect for each other and contribute to the household with time and, ideally, with money. No generation can expect the other generation to carry the whole burden of the household. Parents need to stop parenting, children must become adults.
Before the 60's???? My grandfather was from well before that and he wasn't living with his mommy and daddy past age 20 nor was my grandmother.

Living with the parents as an adult has not been an American tradition. There have always been cases where someone did because they couldn't make it as an independent adult but it's never been the norm.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Living with parents is absolutely PATHETIC and if America starts to accept it, it means, we will become a Third World country soon. I left my house when I was 18, I remember catching a bus at the Houston Greyhound station and heading for NYC on my own, SCARY? Yes, but the best thing I could have done! I have never moved back and never WILL because my parents deserve some peace and privacy!

My parents immigrated here from Brazil where living with parents is OK and I see the damage it does to people, I know guys in Brazil who are 30, 40, 50 and still living with Mommy, these guys basically wake up in the morning, watch TV and go to sleep, Mommy gives them a credit card and they go out every night to the bar spend her money! Most don't even have cars, they drive cars owned by their parents.

I was in Brazil for 3 weeks this last October and most of these people that still live with parents are TOTAL LOSERS, totally unable to deal with life and make decisions on their own!
Very true. Living with the parents is the norm in third world countries. Adults never leaving their parents makes for a complacent population. Jobs and the economy aren't very important when the parents are still feeding the "kids" when the kids are 35, 40 years of age. Once the population accepts that the children never have to work, never have to pay their own bills, buy their own house, it accepts that kind of economy. When the population accepts several families living in a one family home, the third world has arrived.

The USA has had other recessions, other times when the economy wasn't great and instead of living at home, people would go out of town to look for jobs. Today they want to sit home and wait for a job opportunity to come knocking at their door playing video games in the meantime.

I live where the culture is that of a third world nation and many adults never leave their parents' home so you see grandmothers raising the grandchildren, the adult children are free to party, marriage isn't all that common because no one wants to leave home to face the pressures of adult life and independence. It's not uncommon to see 3 or 4 families living in one house, the grandparent in one room with some of the grandchildren, sometimes a wife and husband and kids in one bedroom, an unwed sister and her children in another bedroom, a brother and his girlfriend and their kids in another bedroom, and the childless siblings sleeping in the living room. Since several people in the home contribute with low wages, food stamps, welfare checks, there is enough to go on happily this way indefinitely. Keeping a job often isn't too important because the "safety net" is there.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:01 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Well, I am sure when our country was more of a farming community families lived together and helped out in everyday chores. I live close to a Mennonite community and they keep building wings onto their homes when kids get older. Of course, those kids get married and grow up. They do not party till morning and bring home a different person each weekend.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:48 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well, I am sure when our country was more of a farming community families lived together and helped out in everyday chores. I live close to a Mennonite community and they keep building wings onto their homes when kids get older. Of course, those kids get married and grow up. They do not party till morning and bring home a different person each weekend.
For once, I agree with you there.

If you are helping out in the house, you should be able to stay. If you are working to better improve yourself, I think you should be allowed to stay to focus on studies if you want.

I would let my child stay up until middle or late 20's IF he/she were working or/and going to college to better themselves.

If not, get out.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well in your case I would say you would be better served if you still lived at home. One night stands---you have got to be kidding. How gross. You never heard of AIDS? You may live longer if you stayed at home.
I am very educated about AIDS, thank you. I have taken many classes in college on sexual health. In fact, I just attended an AIDS awareness and research fundraiser in Miami over Thanksgiving weekend. I only bought a t-shirt, but every little bit counts. lol. My health is quite sound : ).

Its kind of rude to blatantly insult someone. I was not the only person to mention the fact that sex is difficult when living with parents. Everyone has reasons for moving out, and this just happened to be one of mine.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
My kid can live with me if she 1) Pays rent 2) Helps around the house 3) Is respectful that it is our house and not hers.

I don't think it's too much to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies