Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
If there were no women in the US military the guys wiould just rape women on the streets near their bases. Sad but true.

Instead of dealing with the women and talking about taking the women away, we should be figuring out how to make the MEN in the military act with a little bit more dignity and common decency. Most US soldiers act completely disgraceful.

Especially overseas, the way they act gives the USA a bad name. It's probably a major reason why the world thinks the US is a bunch of violent, ignorant goons.
How do you figure that? If such were the case, those numbers would be 10x higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
How do you figure that? If such were the case, those numbers would be 10x higher.
Well, i've lived near military bases in many different US cities and a few foreign countries. And every time, in every place, the military bases and the surrounding areas are complete cesspools of violence and other problems.

Everyone knows it too. Most people don't want to live near the base, they don't want to go to the same bars and clubs that are full of military guys, and when military guys are encountered in a dark alley it's usually trouble. Military guys are famous for two things around the bases, sexually harassing women, and starting fights with men. They are just like animals.

I am in an Asian country now and there is a huge US army base nearby and it is a complete dump. This whole entire country is very peaceful overall, but around that base it's all bad. It's a cesspool of fights, bad vibes and crazy, perverted, scummy American guys going out and raising hell. Military guys are almost always in a total jock mindset, naturally, as they should be considering the nature of the job they do.

In this country, the military guys represent America, and people's views of Americans are shaped by these guys. And they are giving the USA a terrible reputation.

These military guys are out of control and completely low-class. They have no honor, no dignity, no self-respect, they just act like total thugs.

On the other hand, the military guys who are native to this country almost always act like proud and dignified soldiers. You can tell they are trying to represent the uniform well and be respectable.

Never trust statistics. Things often don't get reported, things get swept under the rug, people are afraid of being snitches, being get intimidated out of snitching, happens all the time....

Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
If there were no women in the US military the guys wiould just rape women on the streets near their bases. Sad but true.

Instead of dealing with the women and talking about taking the women away, we should be figuring out how to make the MEN in the military act with a little bit more dignity and common decency. Most US soldiers act completely disgraceful.

Especially overseas, the way they act gives the USA a bad name. It's probably a major reason why the world thinks the US is a bunch of violent, ignorant goons.
you are making a ridiculous number of generalizations in all of your posts on this thread. i am not sure if you are really as unaware of this as it seems, but you can't successfully argue a generalization. it just doesn't work.

find a new argument if your intent is to prove that "most US soldiers act completely disgraceful."

and to stop your faulty line of reasoning before it starts, living "near" military bases does not even remotely give you the firsthand experience that you will need to prove it.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:57 AM

68 posts, read 65,194 times
Quote:

I can tell that you never served, but even so, the depth of your ignorance about our citizens in uniform is astounding. Astounding, and untrue. But as you go through your day's routine, consider the wisdom of George Orwell:

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."

Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.mona42 View Post
Since this is such a prevalent problem, why don't they just give women their own branch of the military?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uBbEaXFIZw

Why is this coming up , when a terrorist just killed 10 or more service members??????????????????????

Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
And I'd venture to say you didn't serve in the military either.
And you'd be wrong.
I was in before you were probably born.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I can’t believe that so many men here are blaming the women for being raped.
Buck up fellas, women aren’t raping themselves.
Men are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The military has been doing an apalling job dealing with this growing problem. There were a lot of reservations about women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, and at the time I understood the fear for their safety to be from the enemy, but I guess that was not the real fear and perhaps all along people "in the know" saw this happening. Now women are needed to maintain numbers and skillsets. Whatever happened to codes of conduct, and why is it alright for the brass to be covering up so many of these incidents. It's disgusting, and unacceptable, and totally despicable that people are justifying this in any way at all. Women may nag, or complain, or whine, or whatever generalizations you may choose to belittle them, but they most certainly never deserve to be raped. And why do men who serve their country appear to garner more respect than women doing the same job. Imagine if 1 out of 3 men in the service were being raped, I think we would be hearing a little more about that, don't you?
American Forces Network (AFN) has spots where they act out the scenario where women get raped walking from work to home.
If it’s a PSA, it’s at a critical number of incidences and someone’s trying to cover their butt.
Military high command from all branches of service are now producing PSAs addressing this issue.
Suicide is another issue that’s being presented in a lot of PSAs these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharnen View Post
Women in the military need to learn how to protect themselves, what's the point of being in the military if you don't know how to fight?

Do they even teach self defense?
Women in the military shouldn’t have to protect themselves from men in the military.
I like how you managed to put the problem back on the women.
Ever been raped? Ever been gang-raped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Have you actually checked the recruiting standards or ar you just repeating what others may have said without checking it out?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharnen View Post
The military now is desperate for recruits, so they start accepting the lowest common denominator inbred criminal type. Not surprising.
Military Entrance Requirements | USMilitary.com
Enlistment Standards
Today's Military - Entrance Requirements FAQ

I’ve checked.
Army has made its entrance requirements more lax.
HS equivalency is not required.
Criminal offenses, even violent ones, are okay.

Quote:

Even if there are women in the military to rape, they still rape outside. (I know that’s not what you meant, but it still plays out the same).
Okinawa and other places in Japan are prime examples of military bearing off-post.
Some Marines seem to rape young girls in Okinawa every few years. At times, the entire island is shut down and Americans are under house arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInVegas View Post
I can tell that you never served, but even so, the depth of your ignorance about our citizens in uniform is astounding. Astounding, and untrue. But as you go through your day's routine, consider the wisdom of George Orwell:

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."
Yes, those “rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us, as well as those who would not.

I live in military communities myself, I find the same behavior. Probably not to the degree mentioned, but certainly higher than normal, especially in Army and Marine communities.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Of course the women would be a lot safer if there were more gays in the military. That and have guys to share fashion tips with!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 AM

65 posts, read 120,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Women in the military shouldn’t have to protect themselves from men in the military.
I like how you managed to put the problem back on the women.
Ever been raped? Ever been gang-raped?
Notice how I'm not defending rape. Those men should keep their hands to themselves. I think raping a fellow soldier should be considered treason. trialed, hung, and cremated.

my point is if your in the military, they should teach you how to fight. self defense should obviously be apart of that.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 AM

65 posts, read 120,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Even if there are women in the military to rape, they still rape outside. (I know that’s not what you meant, but it still plays out the same).
Okinawa and other places in Japan are prime examples of military bearing off-post.
Some Marines seem to rape young girls in Okinawa every few years. At times, the entire island is shut down and Americans are under house arrest.

I've heard of this and this is despicable, no wonder why the Japanese want the base shut down. I don't understand why they don't send the "good 'ol boys" back home ASAP. Imagine if we had a Japanese base in some American town costantly raping women, it would be WW3, the Japanese are too tolerate of this nonsense. The last one involved a 14 yr old girl. They should trial and hang those bastards.

Michael Brown Okinawa assault incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marine Major's attempted-rape trial set to begin on Okinawa - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans

4 to face trial for alleged gang rape in Japan - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans

US Marines in Japan Accused of Rape - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies