Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Understandably enough, I have also seen the reckless nature of men in uniform.

Before I was going off of you saying 'most' soldiers weren't respectful. Where I have been stationed, there was always a repeat-offender group of a-holes making it bad for everyone.

And that, in turn, made us all look bad. It was understood, however, that that was not the overall reflection of our unit.

Contrary to popular belief, military bases (foreign/domestic) are just like US cities...crime included unfortunately.
I'm not sure that anyone is disputing that it's a small percentage involved. What I think is troubling is the precedent so far of the military brass making questionable decisions with regard to crimes of a sexual nature. Once the incidence started skyrocketing the military leadership should have been a loud and resounding voice against fraternal cover-ups, and intimidation, but based on the cases reported, they were not handled with the best interest of the victims in mind for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:16 PM

65 posts, read 120,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I think you need to point to where in the world "Criminal offenses, even violent, ones, are okay" in the recruiting regulations. Also what you mean by more lax. If you mean HS is not required that has nothing to do with someone being not moraly, physically, and intellectually fit to serve. Are you part of the "zero tolerance" group?
I enlisted in '78 and still serving. I cannot even claim I was at least a HS dropout becuase I never attended one to drop out from. I now have a masters degree and half way to another and so of my peer that enlisted those days and have become great Senior Noncommissioned Officers with very honorable service to the country on the battle field and great examples to young people today. Many were part of a generation when a judge told them "Young man you have a choice, jail or the Army". I am not saying we should not check on people's background but people can also go to an extreme where people do not have chances to straighten up their lives. Many did so by joining the military. There has to be some type of balance there.

Also, I read the websites and I do not know where you read something to claim "even violent ones". You need to read more closely and you will see it is written in very vague language. You need to go to the actual regulations to know exactly what it is.

Also, have you taken a young man or woman to a recruiting station for enlistment? I have. The last time it was about two months ago. The young man had one incident of possession of marijuan when he was 15, he is now 21, does not have a GED and was turned down.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
That still doesn't explain away the one in three women who are raped in the army, nor does it explain away the rape and murder of Japanese girls by US mercenary thugs. They are not soldiers, they are criminals. They belong in jail not in foreign countries.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm not sure that anyone is disputing that it's a small percentage involved. What I think is troubling is the precedent so far of the military brass making questionable decisions with regard to crimes of a sexual nature. Once the incidence started skyrocketing the military leadership should have been a loud and resounding voice against fraternal cover-ups, and intimidation, but based on the cases reported, they were not handled with the best interest of the victims in mind for sure.
You won't get an argument from me there. As I stated earlier, big Army had better come up with something b/c it ain't looking good.

Having a problem is one thing, not addressing it is another thing entirely.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 PM

65 posts, read 120,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.mona42 View Post
Since this is such a prevalent problem, why don't they just give women their own branch of the military?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uBbEaXFIZw

Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.mona42 View Post
Since this is such a prevalent problem, why don't they just give women their own branch of the military?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uBbEaXFIZw
Separation is not a solution to prevention

Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe women shouldn't be allowed in the military at all. Only 100% heterosexual males should be allowed.

Opinions? Agree or disagree?
Bingo!!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM

81 posts, read 123,663 times
That guy looks likea real grease ball.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
That guy looks likea real grease ball.
What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharnen View Post
That still doesn't explain away the one in three women who are raped in the army, nor does it explain away the rape and murder of Japanese girls by US mercenary thugs. They are not soldiers, they are criminals. They belong in jail not in foreign countries.
My messages were not explaining the issue. You made a comment on recruiting standards and I replied to your comment, different points.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
If there were no women in the US military the guys wiould just rape women on the streets near their bases. Sad but true.

Instead of dealing with the women and talking about taking the women away, we should be figuring out how to make the MEN in the military act with a little bit more dignity and common decency. Most US soldiers act completely disgraceful.

Especially overseas, the way they act gives the USA a bad name. It's probably a major reason why the world thinks the US is a bunch of violent, ignorant goons.
I will say that your comment "Most US soldiers act completly disgraceful" is an exageration and a stereotypical comment.

I have been a Soldier the last 31 years and have handled rape cases. I am a unit victim advocate on sexual assault and rape cases. I also have been an Equal Opportunity unit representative and have also handled EO cases.

I do not know if you have served and for but I will comment that your comment is simply based on ignorance as far as I am concerned. I have been serving with a lot of great human beings but I also have seen the low life type individuals. The great majority are people like you and me that are doing their job every day in and out. They are willing to put their lives on the line for you and me and I would proudly keep serving them and put my life in their hands if necessary.

Also, to some degree what the services have is simply a reflection of what society give us. Do some fall through the cracks and end up in the military? I am sure some do, there is not perfect system but overall they are dedicate people. I as a leader in the Army have had to the task of doing a lot of parenting many parents out there never gave them. I have been a mentor, brother, father, trainer, etc to many young men and women that joined the military lacking many skills, abilities, and moral compass. I do feel a lot pride when some of them have told me they learned much more from me in a year or so than from their parents. However, despite the claim made for another board member, the standards are high in recruiting Soldiers.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies