Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
I just think there is no reason to think that your beliefs trump everyone elses.
When did I ever say that my beliefs should trump everyone else's?

Quote:
What difference does a person's sexuality really make?
I'm not sure how anyone can say that our sexual orientation doesn't play a role in how we experience life and relate to each other. You'd have to be burying your head in the sand in order to not see it.

One big difference: Gays are much more likely to suffer from depression or commit suicide.

Suicide and the GLBT Community (http://www.soulforce.org/article/653 - broken link)

Are you going to tell them that their sexual orientation doesn't matter?

You said you're a teacher. I find it hard to believe that a teacher could be so insensitive to these issues.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,307 times
Not insensitive, just not sure how much if any emphasis should be placed on the sexual orientation of historical figures. I also said that children are not allowed to tease, bully, or make fun of anyone for any reason or did you miss that? I also am part of a group that kids can come to at any time for any reason. My gay/lesbian students know that I love them, however, in the classroom their sexual practices are none of my business. During break, lunch, or any other time that they need to talk I am available, but not during class. In our system we are so busy trying to keep up with the No Child Left Behind requirements that we do not have extra time to discuss sexuality of any kind. The school systems cannot cover every topic, but we do help troubled kids. I help them during my free time too, so once again you do not know me so don't judge.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Not insensitive, just not sure how much if any emphasis should be placed on the sexual orientation of historical figures. I also said that children are not allowed to tease, bully, or make fun of anyone for any reason or did you miss that? I also am part of a group that kids can come to at any time for any reason. My gay/lesbian students know that I love them, however, in the classroom their sexual practices are none of my business. During break, lunch, or any other time that they need to talk I am available, but not during class. In our system we are so busy trying to keep up with the No Child Left Behind requirements that we do not have extra time to discuss sexuality of any kind. The school systems cannot cover every topic, but we do help troubled kids. I help them during my free time too, so once again you do not know me so don't judge.
No one, and I mean No One, but the anti-gay crowd has suggested making the sexual orientation of historical figures part of the cirriculum.

For the hundreth time, the only suggestion is making the fight for equality for the GLBT community part of the Civil Rights cirriculum.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,522 times
.....along with the "fisting" practical exam....

....mmmmmm cherry flavored lube anyone?.......

....Our public schools are soon to become a hideous real-to-life scene from the film "Caligula"......

Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post

....Our public schools are soon to become a hideous real-to-life scene from the film "Caligula"......
Were you going to attempt to have a coherent, mature conversation?

Or are you going to stick with your neocon media nonsence?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Some posters sure do love to talk about fisting; interesting that it's almost always the ones who are anti-gay.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:

Your favorites?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some posters sure do love to talk about fisting; interesting that it's almost always the ones who are anti-gay.
Indeed, mystery sir.

The anti-gay crowd seems quite fixated on genetalia in general.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
The anti-gay crowd seems quite fixated on genetalia in general.
And they love talking about gay issues in general. Hmm.

Why would someone who is anti-gay want to talk about homosexuality all the time? Hmm.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And they love talking about gay issues in general. Hmm.

Why would someone who is anti-gay want to talk about homosexuality all the time? Hmm.
Because they don't want to seem any less straight and/or Christian than anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies