Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Good Gods, don;t people read threads before replying?

The O N L Y people suggesting sepcial cirriculum centered on famous gay people are the anti-gay crowd.

What the OP merely suggested was adding the ongoing fight for Equality and Civil Rights the GLBT community is engaged in to the Civil Rights courses already offered in public schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If so, at what age/grade would it be "appropriate" to introduce said history into the curriculum?

For those of you who are voting no, could you give some reasons for your objection?
The appropriate quote.
What it says to most teachers is a stand alone class.
I have written curriculum up to and including Advanced Placement.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Not only do I read the thread prior to posting, I also use the spell check. It is the OP that put the question out to get people's opinions as to their objections to why they are for or against it. Most of the posts/replies I read of yours lead me to believe you are an experienced and educated person (I smell a male). I would think you know that never and always only apply in death, so I'm curious - who are the O N L Y people?
I don't cheat and use a spell checker.

What you see is what you get, an arthritic person who doesn't even bother to proof read most times.

And what does my gender ahve to do with anything? How about me being a grandparent, does that matter as well?

And the OP did indeed ask everyone's opinion, and almost everyone went off on some wild left field tangent about some imagined dedicated class just for "gay history".

Including myself for a little while until the OP clarified themselves.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,574 times
Quote:
I don't cheat and use a spell checker.

What you see is what you get, an arthritic person who doesn't even bother to proof read most times.

And what does my gender ahve to do with anything? How about me being a grandparent, does that matter as well?

And the OP did indeed ask everyone's opinion, and almost everyone went off on some wild left field tangent about some imagined dedicated class just for "gay history".

Including myself for a little while until the OP clarified themselves.
I would like to apologize to everyone who uses spell check; I do not believe you are cheating .
I empathize with your medical condition as I have a few myself. Being male has nothing to do with anything , but thank-you for the confirmation. Being a grandparent is a plus as without them we would not be here.
Perhaps to add to the OP a thought on the protected classes in America. If one is deemed neccessary to teach in public school, than all should be taught (that means bringing in religion). Just a thought. Anyway I do not want my grandson (when he's in Kindergarten) to have to read "and Tango makes Three."

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Anyway I do not want my grandson (when he's in Kindergarten) to have to read "and Tango makes Three."
Have you read it? It's a great book, one of my children's favorites

Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 PM

981 posts, read 806,744 times
Quote:
I would like to apologize to everyone who uses spell check; I do not believe you are cheating .
I empathize with your medical condition as I have a few myself. Being male has nothing to do with anything , but thank-you for the confirmation. Being a grandparent is a plus as without them we would not be here.
Perhaps to add to the OP a thought on the protected classes in America. If one is deemed neccessary to teach in public school, than all should be taught (that means bringing in religion). Just a thought. Anyway I do not want my grandson (when he's in Kindergarten) to have to read "and Tango makes Three."
Religion cannot be incorporated into a history lesson in public schools if it means subjectively advocating it, proselytizing, or advocating any kind of ritual associated with it. Seperation of Church and State.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Indeed, mystery sir.
Yes, AUM is quite mysterious.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Religion cannot be incorporated into a history lesson in public schools if it means subjectively advocating it, proselytizing, or advocating any kind of ritual associated with it. Seperation of Church and State.
My stance is that GLBT history is a subject that doesn't need to be introduced as a course in public schools. If we are going to start bringing in specific courses about civil rights, then lets represent them all. There are about 9 groups that are protected classes in America today. Gays are in that group but so is religion. The purposed subject of GLBT history is not suppose to be an advocacy for gay rights but to teach about historical figure's sexual orientatoin. Well then, give all their due. What about all the historical figure's religious beliefs, or lack of, etc...? My point is that these are college elective courses in and of themselves. Why not incorporate somethng with gay rights month to bring awareness? Want to spend more federal tax dollors in the public school system? How about bringing back gym class every day until graduation.

Last edited by tyvin; 01-12-2010 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: syntax

Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
People are confusing cultural specific programs, like gay tolerance programs, with Civil Rights history.

I, myself, do not agree with such cultural specific programs. I feel that including the GLBT community in the Civil Right cirriculum will provide "tolerance education". I also feel that such programs only go to futher marginalize all minorites, including racial minorities.

I was still in school when "Black History Month" began. Even then I thought to myself, why do we need a special class to leanr about Carver, for example. Why isn't he and his accomplishments taught in those applicable classes alongside white inventors and scientists.

However, this topic involves merely adding the GLBY community's fight for Equality and Civil Rights in the American Civil Rights cirriculum.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
My stance is that GLBT history is a subject that doesn't need to be introduced as a course in public schools. If we are going to start bringing in specific courses about civil rights, then lets represent them all. There are about 9 groups that are protected classes in America today. Gays are in that group but so is religion. The purposed subject of GLBT history is not suppose to be an advocacy for gay rights but to teach about historical figure's sexual orientatoin. Well then, give all their due. What about all the historical figure's religious beliefs, or lack of, etc...? My point is that these are college elective courses in and of themselves. Why not incorporate somethng with gay rights month to bring awareness? Want to spend more federal tax dollors in the public school system? How about bringing back gym class every day until graduation.
You're wrong and do not have the right perspective on this, at all. See post #327.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You're wrong and do not have the right perspective on this, at all. See post #327.
I respect your opinion though disagree. I did look back at #327 and you present your views well.
Thank-you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies