Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And they love talking about gay issues in general. Hmm.

Why would someone who is anti-gay want to talk about homosexuality all the time? Hmm.
And then notice how they quickly disappear? Probably for a little alone time after getting themselves worked up by having thought about the forbidden fruit that they soooo desire.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
And then notice how they quickly disappear? Probably for a little alone time after getting themselves worked up by having thought about the forbidden fruit that they soooo desire.
Indeed.

A nice little ditty that was psoted in another forum.

Caution, adult words and themes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHjsaEK4vnw

Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Then you miss the entire premise of the OP of this thread.

The OP intended to suggest that Civil Rights history include the fight for Equality for the GLBT community, nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, between your "lifestyle" comments and your need to pigeon hole me as gay speak quite elequently of your position on this matter. Did you hate your gay cousins as well too?

sigh--if you see hate here than you have a more serious issue than adjusting to your lifestyle----how bout i pigeon hole you as gay defensive----btw---my closest brother is gay--he would laugh at your comment

Old 01-10-2010, 11:34 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
When did I ever say that my beliefs should trump everyone else's?

I'm not sure how anyone can say that our sexual orientation doesn't play a role in how we experience life and relate to each other. You'd have to be burying your head in the sand in order to not see it.

One big difference: Gays are much more likely to suffer from depression or commit suicide.

Suicide and the GLBT Community (http://www.soulforce.org/article/653 - broken link)

Are you going to tell them that their sexual orientation doesn't matter?

You said you're a teacher. I find it hard to believe that a teacher could be so insensitive to these issues.
in the mental health field gays DO NOT suffer more from depression or suicide than the general public----speaking as a mh professional

Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
in the mental health field gays DO NOT suffer more from depression or suicide than the general public----speaking as a mh professional
I'm just quoting the research.

gay minority stress - Google Scholar

Also, a majority of Americans say that gays "face a lot of discrimination". I would have serious doubts about a mental health professional who doesn't believe that this leads to more stressful lives for gay people.

"More than six-in-ten Americans (64%) say gays and lesbians face a lot of discrimination, more than any other group asked about in the August 2009 survey."

Pew Forum: Majority Continues To Support Civil Unions

Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
sigh--if you see hate here than you have a more serious issue than adjusting to your lifestyle----how bout i pigeon hole you as gay defensive----btw---my closest brother is gay--he would laugh at your comment
1. Your continued use of "lifestyle" shows where your true opinion is, that of the anti-gay crowd.

2. I am a father of three and a grandfather. I am not gay.

3. So what happened to your "several cousins"? They suddenly turned into your "closest brother" somehow? That sound was the rest of your creditibility hitting rock bottom.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Strange that you should "work in the field" and be unaware of some basic findings that show that gay teens exhibit more depression, and are more at risk for suicide then other catagories of teens.

Then again you seem to tend to raise the bar for yourself whenever the need arises, according to your posting record.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,307 times
Maybe the reason some people get off this site at times is because they have a life outside of the internet. The reason I said that about historical figures was in response to some of the suggestions on this site. I repeat do not have a problem with mentioning the fight for gay rights when discussing history. However, the timeline on Wikipedia that was mentioned would not be suitable for school because much of it is not even reference based. Also, who cares who everyone slept with? The timeline talks about using adolescent boys for sex, and that is never an appropriate topic in school.
That would also not send a positive message about gays, and isn't that what this whole thread is about? And why are some of the posters so quick to label people anti-gay? It seems to me you are being extremely judgemental, something you are quick to call others.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
A nice little ditty that was psoted in another forum.
That was brilliant, thanks for sharing.

To say that sexual orientation has not been included in curriculums to date in inaccurate. When studying English Literature, History, Art History, Music History we often learned about historical figures private lives, if they were married, had children, or were "single". What is wrong with learning who was gay. It would have made a lot more sense in retrospect. Maybe it's just hard for people to acknowledge some of their favorite icons were not so straight.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If so, at what age/grade would it be "appropriate" to introduce said history into the curriculum?

For those of you who are voting no, could you give some reasons for your objection?
No it should not be taught. Why should the sexual acts people engage in, or their preferences be taught at all in school?

School is for teaching reading, writing, math, economics, science, geography, and history - not sexual preferences, nor various sex acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies