Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 AM

153 posts, read 238,308 times

Advertisements

As far as history goes, President James Buchanan was described as an "Aunt Nancy", which was probably a term for gay at the time. I don't think it was much of an issue, though, because if he was, they didn't make it an issue.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
No it should not be taught. Why should the sexual acts people engage in, or their preferences be taught at all in school?

School is for teaching reading, writing, math, economics, science, geography, and history - not sexual preferences, nor various sex acts.
Again, only the anti-gay community is suggesting the claptrap you posted.

ONCE AGAIN, the OP is suggesting that the fight for Civil Rights and Equality the GLBT community has engaged in, and still does today, be included in the general Civil Rights History cirriculum.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM

238 posts, read 766,865 times
How about we just stick with American history to be taught? They've changed those books too many damn times that our kids don't know jack.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
My objection to this subject being introduced into the public school curriculum ie; civil rights system is simple. Kids these days are extrememly smart and and do not need a seperate class on the sexual orientaion of famous people. I understand the gay minorities want for "their people" to be recognized, but whatever happened to merit? Everything is he's black or she's transgender, so what? Can't we just teach the kids and I think their smart enouph to look at a bio and know if someone is a minority. And anyway; should that have anything to do with the person's abiltiy to have attained historical status? This purposed class is an elective in college for someone who wants to personally pursue it for their studies. Want to spend more money in public schools and make a real difference in a kids life? Bring back gym, mandetory everyday until graduation.

Last edited by tyvin; 01-11-2010 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
My objection to this subject being introduced into the public school curriculum ie; civil rights system is simple. Kids these days are extrememly smart and and do not need a seperate class on the sexual orientaion of famous people. I understand the gay minorities want for "their people" to be recognized, but whatever happened to merit? Everything is he's black or she's transgender, so what? Can't we just teach the kids and I think their smart enouph to look at a bio and know if someone is a minority. And anyway; should that have anything to do with the person's abiltiy to have attained historical status? This purposed class is an elective in college for someone who wants to personally pursue it for their studies. Want to spend more money in public schools and make a real difference in a kids life? Bring back gym, mandetory everyday until graduation.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
1. Your continued use of "lifestyle" shows where your true opinion is, that of the anti-gay crowd.

2. I am a father of three and a grandfather. I am not gay.

3. So what happened to your "several cousins"? They suddenly turned into your "closest brother" somehow? That sound was the rest of your creditibility hitting rock bottom.

sigh--several people include bros and cousins------for your own mental health get counseling--it will help with your anger and misreptesentations towards others

Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
sigh--several people include bros and cousins------for your own mental health get counseling--it will help with your anger and misreptesentations towards others
Might want to warn you that your entire posting history is publically accessable, including your rather clear statement of "several cousins" with no mention amde of the brother who you alternatly cannot stand, and then love dearly.

But hey, gotta give you credit where credit is due. Your credibility is like a roomba, it destroys itself.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Good Gods, don;t people read threads before replying?

The O N L Y people suggesting sepcial cirriculum centered on famous gay people are the anti-gay crowd.

What the OP merely suggested was adding the ongoing fight for Equality and Civil Rights the GLBT community is engaged in to the Civil Rights courses already offered in public schools.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
I am sorry but the poster AnUnidentifiedMale is the one who suggested the history timeline on Wikipedia. How many of you have actually read it? No one would agree with using it, because it is not based on face and completely inappropriate. I believe the OP has an idea that most people would not have a problem with at all. It is everybody else that is suggesting different ideas, and some of these posters appear to be gay/lesbian. Maybe people are just trying to stir up other people or make the issue cloudy.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Good Gods, don;t people read threads before replying?

The O N L Y people suggesting sepcial cirriculum centered on famous gay people are the anti-gay crowd.

What the OP merely suggested was adding the ongoing fight for Equality and Civil Rights the GLBT community is engaged in to the Civil Rights courses already offered in public schools.
Not only do I read the thread prior to posting, I also use the spell check. It is the OP that put the question out to get people's opinions as to their objections to why they are for or against it. Most of the posts/replies I read of yours lead me to believe you are an experienced and educated person (I smell a male). I would think you know that never and always only apply in death, so I'm curious - who are the O N L Y people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies