Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should GLBT History Be Taught in Public Schools?
Yes 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
sigh--tired of the word "gay"--and the need for those practicing the homosexual lifestyle to be attention seeking in EVERY aspect of human life--"gay"history taught in school---what's next__"gay math,english,spelling,reading,science(let's study the dissection of "gay"frogs)---puhleazz--------btw--grew up with several cousins in the homosexual orientation WITHOUT any major issues cause the focus was on the person not the sexual orientation
Ski the Slippery Slopes much?

The entire premise of this thread is merely adding the GLBT community to Civil Rights History education in school.

BTW, sicne you, apperently, have "several gay cousins", feel free to explain how their "lifestyle" is any different than yours or mine.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Ski the Slippery Slopes much?

The entire premise of this thread is merely adding the GLBT community to Civil Rights History education in school.

BTW, sicne you, apperently, have "several gay cousins", feel free to explain how their "lifestyle" is any different than yours or mine.
it is not really--(except 2 of them whine more)- that is my point---why should it matter if some historical event associated person had a straight or homosexual lifestyle??

gay history----or history of being "gay"---how do you plan to teach that---when in your mind did being "gay"(in history) start--are you talking about introducing to students when the "gay"oriented groups started?--splain yourself--------------

are there "gay"historical events no one talks about------besides validation for the lifestyle what DO YOU WANT----besides wanting to feel special cause your sexual orientation is not straight-------all i can say is siigghhh!

as to harvey milk i am sure most older students know who he is----as to the younger ones they can just be greatful that he invented milk toast(works great during teething)

Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
it is not really--(except 2 of them whine more)- that is my point---why should it matter if some historical event associated person had a straight or homosexual lifestyle??
Because gay people are a part of the world, and sometimes they do historic things. If the husbands and wives of historical figures are mentioned, I don't see why anyone would be in favor of censoring information about same-sex partners.

It's also important for kids to hear some positive things about gays as they're learning. God knows they're going to hear plenty of negative things from their peers.

Quote:
gay history----or history of being "gay"---how do you plan to teach that---when in your mind did being "gay"(in history) start
Here's a good outline to start with:

Timeline of LGBT history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
I still don't really get why you believe homosexuals are a minority. Does that mean than anyone that believes or practices something different from that of the majority of people is a minority? I thought minorities were about race. Just think of all the minorities we would have if we used different believes as a criteria. Wow, how about NASCAR followers? Would they deserve a mention in history? Do ALL religions get a mention no matter how obscure?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I voted NO as I don't see why sexual orientation matters when it comes to any accomplishments worthy of historical merit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People who broke new ground for gay rights (like Harvey Milk) certainly did accomplish something worth historical merit. "Harvey Bernard Milk (May 22, 1930 – November 27, 1978) was an American politician and the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California..." Harvey Milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know that and I don't need to be schooled about Harvey Milk, et al. Here's what I was going to include in my earlier post but took out because I didn't thing it needed to be said: "Okay, okay, before the anal retentive types jump on me, if the school is having a class about gender orientation, then the contributions of GLBT persons are appropriate to include." Here's an example: Edison invented the light bulb. His sexual orientation is of no importance . . . UNLESS it had a bearing on the matter.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
Well when you were in grade school did they tell you "George Washington was the First President of the U.S....oh yeah and he liked chicks" No they didn't. No need for it. If you did something noteworthy enough to be included in a history book who you like to sleep with should not be included.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Well when you were in grade school did they tell you "George Washington was the First President of the U.S....oh yeah and he liked chicks" No they didn't. No need for it. If you did something noteworthy enough to be included in a history book who you like to sleep with should not be included.
Yeah, no student ever heard his wife Martha mentioned in class.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:

gay history----or history of being "gay"---how do you plan to teach that---when in your mind did being "gay"(in history) start--are you talking about introducing to students when the "gay"oriented groups started?--splain yourself--------------

are there "gay"historical events no one talks about------besides validation for the lifestyle what DO YOU WANT----besides wanting to feel special cause your sexual orientation is not straight-------all i can say is siigghhh!

as to harvey milk i am sure most older students know who he is----as to the younger ones they can just be greatful that he invented milk toast(works great during teething)
Then you miss the entire premise of the OP of this thread.

The OP intended to suggest that Civil Rights history include the fight for Equality for the GLBT community, nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, between your "lifestyle" comments and your need to pigeon hole me as gay speak quite elequently of your position on this matter. Did you hate your gay cousins as well too?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
I still don't really get why you believe homosexuals are a minority.
Uh, because they are.

Quote:
Does that mean than anyone that believes or practices something different from that of the majority of people is a minority?
By definition, yes, they are.

Quote:
I thought minorities were about race.
"Minority" has many definitions:

Minority Definition | Definition of Minority at Dictionary.com

Quote:
Just think of all the minorities we would have if we used different believes as a criteria. Wow, how about NASCAR followers? Would they deserve a mention in history?
If NASCAR followers think it's important to be mentioned in the history books, they can fight for that.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-10-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
I am not, and you don't know me, so you can't judge. I just think there is no reason to think that your beliefs trump everyone elses. What difference does a person's sexuality really make? Why do we need to know? I have no problem with mentioning the fight for gay rights in a history class, but that would be the end of it. If you want us not to mention the wives or husbands of famous people, that is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies