Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You called me a liar. I will be reporting that. That's not allowed even when a person is lying, but I'm not. I don't lie.

CNN is a news channel. They cover news. Fox News and MSNBC are more commentary. Fox News does cover more news than MSNBC but both had news coverage Saturday. MSNBC set aside their normal weekend programing and covered the earthquake almost non-stop. Fox News had news coverage as they do on Saturdays. Their main story was the MA election. The second story was the earthquake. Their earthquake coverage was much less than MSNBC's or CNN's. I know. I was flipping between all three channels until the football game started. Anyone who wasn't wouldn't be able to make the comparison. Most Fox News junkies don't watch anything but Fox News.
Careful of saying you will report anyone for saying you are a liar when you make statements like this and several of you past posts. Just because you believe your statement does not make it true>

BTW, how in the world would you know that "most Fox News junkies don't watch anything but Fox News"? Do you have proof or is your statement a lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
No.
Oh, it is another oxymoron, not the one you cite.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Careful of saying you will report anyone for saying you are a liar when you make statements like this and several of you past posts
so true.....

Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
If you watched it you would know. When I try to discuss story after story with my left wingers in the family that watch CNN, they have never heard of the news. I have been able to shame a few of into waking up that CNN is filtering the news for only the stories they want people to be aware of.

In fact that is how I became aware of FOX NEWS. Friends were always talking about news I had never heard of. I dumped CNN like so much trash. It's nothing more than a left winger propaganda machine.
Fox News creates much of what they call news out of nothing.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Quote:
What a shock that people turn into CNN for news. CNN is a news network. Fox News and MSNBC are mostly political commentary. You want news, put on CNN.

That said, I was flipping between the three channels throughout the day yesterday when all had on news, not commentary. CNN and MSNBC covered the earthquake as the major story. Fox News covered the election in MA as the major story.
Quote:
You called me a liar. I will be reporting that. That's not allowed even when a person is lying, but I'm not. I don't lie.

CNN is a news channel. They cover news. Fox News and MSNBC are more commentary. Fox News does cover more news than MSNBC but both had news coverage Saturday. MSNBC set aside their normal weekend programing and covered the earthquake almost non-stop. Fox News had news coverage as they do on Saturdays. Their main story was the MA election. The second story was the earthquake. Their earthquake coverage was much less than MSNBC's or CNN's. I know. I was flipping between all three channels until the football game started. Anyone who wasn't wouldn't be able to make the comparison. Most Fox News junkies don't watch anything but Fox News.

You admit you only click through the channels so you could not possibly know what FOX is mostly reporting on. People that watch FOX NEWS will know the truth. Unlike CNN FOX reports all the news going on. CN would prefer you not know all the news and all the truth. I don't run to my mommie when left wingers say things I do not like.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
You admit you only click through the channels so you could not possibly know what FOX is mostly reporting on. People that watch FOX NEWS will know the truth. Unlike CNN FOX reports all the news going on. CN would prefer you not know all the news and all the truth. I don't run to my mommie when left wingers say things I do not like.
I clicked through the channels leaving each on for as long as I left it on. Fox News was on for hours on my one TV. And the two stories covered were the MA election -- which was the top story each new cycle -- and the earthquake. WTF? I'm not faulting them for it. I made no judgement. I just made the observation. Get your panties out of your crack.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
One possible explanation is the addiction some seem to have for FOX "News"; i.e., they'll watch it no matter what's on.

REPORT: Top Fox News programs devote scant coverage to Haiti earthquake
On January 13, Fox News' three top-rated programs for 2009 -- The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity, and Glenn Beck -- devoted a combined total of less than 7 minutes of coverage to the earthquake in Haiti, instead choosing to air such things as Beck's hour-long interview with Sarah Palin, Bill O'Reilly's discussion of Comedy Central host Jon Stewart, and Sean Hannity's advocacy for Massachusetts candidate Scott Brown's Senate campaign. By contrast, the content of MSNBC's three top-rated shows underscored the significance of the Haiti disaster; Countdown, The Rachel Maddow Show, and Hardball devoted a total of more than two hours to the earthquake.
If people truly wanted to find out what was happening with the earthquake in Haiti, FOX "News" was not the place to check. Personally, I went with CNN.
This is Mediamatters article is a bunch of baloney but, those who love to hate FOX news, suck this stuff right up....it goes right over their heads. Just because the 3 top shows at FOX cable news reported little about the earthquake in Haiti on July 13Th, it doesn't mean FOX news report very little about it. Live news is broadcast all day long on FOX and on the 13Th all it had on it was the earthquake in Haiti. Going into the evening, Neil Cavuto is live at 4PM...then Beck's show airs at 5PM (which was taped earlier)....at 6PM Bret Brier is live and at 7PM Shepard Smith is live....and the O'Reily and Hannity air at 8PM and 9PM (which both were....and almost always are.....taped earlier). In other words, the 3 top shows were taped earlier.

If you read the article on Mediamatters is says:

Quote:
Other Fox News shows -- such as Special Report with Bret Baier and The Fox Report with Shepard Smith -- did devote extensive coverage to the earthquake.
.....whom both report the live news broadcasts at FOX (as I mentioned above...between 6-8PM).

By contrast over at MSNBC....Hardball airs at 5PM and again at 7PM (which I believe is live at 5PM)....Countdown airs at 8PM and is live and Rachel Maddow is at 9PM (but, I don't know if it's taped or live). If it's a live show, of course they're going to report on the earthquake.

Why didn't FOX do special live reports for the earthquake instead of showing shows that were taped earlier? The same reason they always show taped shows in the evening....after reporting live news all day, how many times can you report it (in one hour segments) before your viewers tune out and your ratings go down (they do brief updates during breaks throughout the taped programs). It only takes 30 minutes to report the news (you can spread it out to an hour) but, after that you're going to start repeating yourself if all you do is report live news. This is why HLN changed it's format from when it first started (and MTV as well...for a similar reason....people tuned out when a video came on they didn't like and never tuned back in). If you can't maintain viewers, you don't get high ratings and ratings are used to determine what you can charge for advertising...which is the bottom line.

What would make sense is to go look at the ratings for all those shows on the 13Th and see if there was a noticeable decline in any of FOX's typical ratings during those shows and a noticeable increase in any of MSNBC's ratings for their shows at those same time slots. Then if there is, you could argue that the public wanted to see more coverage of the earthquake and FOX didn't come through for them and they had to tune to MSNBC (or CNN....check their ratings too for any increase).

Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
If you watched it you would know. When I try to discuss story after story with my left wingers in the family that watch CNN, they have never heard of the news. I have been able to shame a few of into waking up that CNN is filtering the news for only the stories they want people to be aware of.

In fact that is how I became aware of FOX NEWS. Friends were always talking about news I had never heard of. I dumped CNN like so much trash. It's nothing more than a left winger propaganda machine.
Don't kid yourself, FOX does the same sort of filtering that any other TV news does.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
And what about the people who don't care what's happening in Haiti [raises hand]?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Don't kid yourself, FOX does the same sort of filtering that any other TV news does.

It's a little harder to do when they always have liberals on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies