Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Fox News viewing stays pretty much the same but CNN does really well, compared to usual.

MSNBC, not so much. Considering MSNBC can share footage with it's broadcast channel, you'd think they would have the best reporting and video simply because they should have more boots on the ground in Haiti than the other two. Fox has no national news program, just local, and CNN has none at all.

Wednesdays Total Audience Numbers

Beck 3,175,000
Blitzer 1,310,000
Matthews 524,000

O'Reilly 3,688,000
Brown 1,300,000
Olbermann 1,176,000

Hannity 2,697,000
King 1,465,000
Maddow 992,000

Greta 2,292,000
Cooper 1,670,000
Olbermann Second Hour: 764,000

The Scoreboard: Wednesday, Jan. 13 - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

Lets take closer look....

REPORT: Top Fox News programs devote scant coverage to Haiti earthquake

Quote:
On January 13, Fox News' three top-rated programs for 2009 -- The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity, and Glenn Beck -- devoted a combined total of less than 7 minutes of coverage to the earthquake in Haiti, instead choosing to air such things as Beck's hour-long interview with Sarah Palin, Bill O'Reilly's discussion of Comedy Central host Jon Stewart, and Sean Hannity's advocacy for Massachusetts candidate Scott Brown's Senate campaign. By contrast, the content of MSNBC's three top-rated shows underscored the significance of the Haiti disaster; Countdown, The Rachel Maddow Show, and Hardball devoted a total of more than two hours to the earthquake.
REPORT: Top Fox News programs devote scant coverage to Haiti earthquake | Media Matters for America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
One of the things when a disaster occurs is who is on live. Bill O'Reilly's show has the highest number of viewers of the 3 cable news channels and his show is not live. It is taped earlier in the day. Fox isn't going to ditch it's highest rated show but the trade off is, you aren't getting up to the minute coverage except from those two to three minute spots coming out of commercial during his hour. Smith and Baier are live, not sure about the others in primetime.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Nobody claims The Daily Show is news. It is satire that puts a mirror to the political world in a way that nobody else has the balls to do. That's why he's popular. That sense of truth people get from it is Stewart calling people on their hyocrisy and lies - not in reporting news accurately.

I guess you don't watch Daily Show a lot, but he actually goes after everybody - CNN, MSNBC, Obama - pretty evenly. It's just that Fox takes their manipulations to such a ridiculous extreme it's hard to ignore (Olbermann, like Beck, is just a commentator paid to rabble rouse).
I didn't say any one claimed it to be news. I said it often gets spoken about as if it were real news. Stewart is extremely intelligent and yes, I do realize he takes shots at others besides FOX but, his viewers don't bother to talk about those much....they love to hate FOX so, that's what gets repeated.

Quote:
It is satire that puts a mirror to the political world in a way that nobody else has the balls to do. That's why he's popular.
There are lots of comedians that do politics....they just don't have their own daily show (no pun intended....that gets air more than once each day). I used to think Bill Maher was was very witty when he was on network TV doing his show, Politically Incorrect....I liked the selection of people he used to invite on the show too. Now I find his show on HBO to be about that weeks old news which even makes his humor to be predictable (and sometimes even his jokes are already old dor that week).

Dennis Miller is comparable but, of course he's on the other side (if any one is thinking about it, spare me the name calling about Miller). Miller gets to be a bit too much if he's doing stand up though......little five or ten minute interviews on O'Reilly perhaps, is perfect for him. Carlin was always good for some political sarcasm. Colbert I find kind of boring.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
It's ironic that some people are more emotionally excited about the ratings that Fox News is getting for their sparse coverage of this disaster than the disaster itself, isn't it?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Clearly you don't watch MSNBC either. If you did, you would know that O'Reilly and Limbaugh are on the Worst Person list almost daily. Coulter is nowhere near the top of the list.

And if you watched MSNBC, you would have heard Maddow and Olbermann correct themselves and apologize when they got something wrong. Admittedly it doesn't happen often but when it does, they correct it.
Just because I didn't mention O'Reilly or Limbaugh, does that clearly prove I don't watch MSNBC? Did you think I was attempting to make a list because I mentioned just Coulter? O'Reilly and Limbaugh directly compete with Olbermann in the sense that they all have their own daily shows (he used to be in the same time slot as O'Reilly, which made him direct competition)....Coulter has her own column and appears on TV often but, it's not like she competes with him with her own show. An interesting side note though, her first national TV appearance was with MSNBC when they hired her as a legal correspondent (long before Olbermann was hired there).

When I said "retraction", I meant on the bottom of page two in the newspaper....not on TV....not that it meant a lot but, it used to happen often and it made it official. There used to be a fear of being sued for libel when information about a person was incorrectly reported in the news. Celebrities still sue because they want to protect their ability to make money from their name (and it gives them publicity when they do it any way) but, political figures are not going to sue for libel and the media knows it. How would it look if they tried to do that....everybody would jump all over them about free speech (even though it was inaccurate)...besides that, where would they start. On air commentators apologize all the time...O'Reilly has plenty of times (except for Limbaugh....I don't think I've ever heard him do that).

Although, out of all the news I watch...CNN, FCN, HLN, MSNBC as well as network and local news, MSNBC is the one I watch the least.

Last edited by Danno3314; 01-18-2010 at 03:29 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
CNN was giving some good coverage of the relief efforts but Fox had some good coverage as well. I saw Geraldo Rivera interveiwing naval personnel in their efforts to provide drinking water to survivors. MSNBC was sticking to political partisan hack topics as usual, maybe they didn't have the budget to send anybody down there.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Fox News viewing stays pretty much the same but CNN does really well, compared to usual.

MSNBC, not so much. Considering MSNBC can share footage with it's broadcast channel, you'd think they would have the best reporting and video simply because they should have more boots on the ground in Haiti than the other two. Fox has no national news program, just local, and CNN has none at all.

Wednesdays Total Audience Numbers

Beck 3,175,000
Blitzer 1,310,000
Matthews 524,000

O'Reilly 3,688,000
Brown 1,300,000
Olbermann 1,176,000

Hannity 2,697,000
King 1,465,000
Maddow 992,000

Greta 2,292,000
Cooper 1,670,000
Olbermann Second Hour: 764,000

The Scoreboard: Wednesday, Jan. 13 - mediabistro.com: TVNewser
The thread title is"Guess Who News Viewers Tune To For The Haiti Earthquake?" not which channel people are tuning into during the week of the quake. I'm not sure people tune in to the commentary shows to hear about the earthquake, thats what the other time slots do. but even at that, Fox probably rules, although CNN always does a good job covering those types of news stories.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,094 times
I normally watch CNN news coverage on Haiti but was watching re-runs so I found that on Fox News, Geraldo had a two hour coverage, but there was a segment during this with the hateful Anne Coulter being interviewed and asked if she heard Rush L. comment and she said she is hard of hearing, she didn't hear it.
Fox always has to get their HATE commentary on. Those people are the most hateful people I have ever encountered on television. The owner of Fox news is a hateful man. It all trinkles down.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
I stopped watching CNN when I began serving in the Navy and saw how biased they were against our nation's military. Just checked the CNN website for news on Haiti and they merely gave a glancing mention of the US Military's efforts in Haiti compared to the FOX News morning and afternoon coverage in which they actually show what the US Military is doing to provide aid to the Haitians. My wife's nephew is a nuclear machinist mate second class on the USS Carl Vinson who volunteered to go ashore to help. The Navy ships are using their distilling plants to convert sea water into clean drinking water which will be stored in barrels and bladders to be delivered via helicopters. The ships have already begun using their operating rooms to help the most critically wounded. With an estimated 100,000 injured, there are going to be people laying about not receiving treatment. With only one airport runway and horrible road conditions, aid is going to get out slowly.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I normally watch CNN news coverage on Haiti but was watching re-runs so I found that on Fox News, Geraldo had a two hour coverage, but there was a segment during this with the hateful Anne Coulter being interviewed and asked if she heard Rush L. comment and she said she is hard of hearing, she didn't hear it.
Fox always has to get their HATE commentary on. Those people are the most hateful people I have ever encountered on television. The owner of Fox news is a hateful man. It all trinkles down.
Please....stop buying into all that hate monger B.S. People are people no matter who they voted for or what party they associate with. It's about ratings and they all do it....as I just mentioned above, look at Olbermann...he actually has a "Worst Person in the World" segment.

Coulter is Coulter, that what she does. She makes no bones about it either....she creates controversy with her comments. She doesn't do it just on FOX though. She admits to being completely biased but, again it's just about money....it's how she makes a living...it's how to sell books. I mentioned this already but, she actually started at MSNBC...she has a law degree...and we all know lawyers are never critical of any one, right?

BTW, who are "those people"....that sounds like a very broad brush you're using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies