Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSailor View Post
It's not clear to me that there's a difference in the choices. Southern culture and history is about racism slavery and segregation. That plus a few writers is about all the south has ever produced.
About as accurate as saying the only thing Boston ever produced is beans and the stray Alcott.
Southern history brought you the War of Regulation, the first free public library, the Halifax Resolves, several presidents, and Kitty Hawk.
Southern culture has a depth that encompasses shrimp & grits, Jim Henson and Jonathan Green, writers as varied as Pat Conroy and William Faulkner, music ranging from Elvis to Molly Hatchet to the Rev. Horton Heat to Outkast to Jessye Norman...I could go on, but your eyes have already glazed over and you've no doubt written me off as a Confederate Flag waving loon. (In fact, my people were on all sides of that Great Unpleasantness, including the one where they went up in the mountains and married Cherokee while hiding from slave-catchers. I value them all equally.)

Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It's not clear to me that there's a difference in the choices. Southern culture and history is about racism slavery and segregation. That plus a few writers is about all the south has ever produced.

Originally Posted by TKramar Except most of the nation's Presidents...

Wow I'll have to go back to history class. I didn't realize that Virginia had produced over 23 presidents. How many of those were slave owners?
You need a geography lesson. Virginia is not the sum total of the South. And actually, it's a bit over a third, more if you count Texas.

Last edited by Aconite; 02-20-2010 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: forgot Texas.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
You need a geography lesson. Virginia is not the sum total of the South. And actually, it's a bit over a third, more if you count Texas.
?

It wasnt a geography-related exchange.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I agree with you; the Southern Culture accepted and embraced slavery. When they could no longer enslave, they resorted to segregation and other mode of oppression. Exactly my point. Thanks for making it.
Unlike more enlightened places, like...say...South Boston. And of course Brown v. Board of Education was a result of problems in that notorious Southern state of...er, Kansas.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Wrong, it is the job of government to rule the people and control them.

Just....eww.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
?

It wasnt a geography-related exchange.
It was an exchange asking about what the South has contributed. The parameters were changed to "Virginia". It was either a case of poor geography, or duplicitousness.
I prefer to believe he's ignorant rather than dishonest.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM

392 posts, read 559,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Within the past year, there was an arrest of a man who headed a local financial investment company. This man was responsible for handling 10's of Millions of Dollars of clients monies - he was a very bright, articulate, intelligent man. He was no hillbilly. He was not a "red neck". But, he was a member - the head actually, of a Neo Nazi group. He is now in jail.

He was / is no "retard"
He is in jail is he not; ok the matter is settled.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 AM

392 posts, read 559,891 times
Quote:
Just....eww.
I find it amazing that people have selective hearing and omit other important parts to this statement.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
I find it amazing that people have selective hearing and omit other important parts to this statement.
So it is your idea that the government ruling and controlling people is true freedom?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bro...en_Eighty-Four)

Old 02-20-2010, 08:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
It was an exchange asking about what the South has contributed. The parameters were changed to "Virginia". It was either a case of poor geography, or duplicitousness.
I prefer to believe he's ignorant rather than dishonest.
?

It was a reply to a comment that Virginia has produced "most of the nation's presidents." The reply questioned "most."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies