Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 PM

228 posts, read 483,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Well, if you waited until he quoted the bible, you heard most of his address. And it's not like he was prestheltizing here. The entire paragraph in which he mentioned the quote from the bilble follows:

Yeah, that's a real affront to all not Christians, and should be banned from the language. (/sarcasm)

It's that about it offending non-christians, it's about losing your credibility when you refer to a book of tall-tales written by partially mad and sick men when there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. If he would have used an anecdote from the Dhammapadda or the Qu'ran there would have been a huge outlash.

I just don't want to hear anyone refering to a book composed entirely of fairy tales when they are supposed to be leading our country (or at least a state in our country)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'd give it a 9. It refreshed my quickly-diminishing sense of hope a good bit.
This isn't Wicked Wahine is it?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I just wasn't all that impressed with the speech.

He gives a good speech. I acknowledge that. But I thought the substance was hollow. Maybe i'm just Obama-fatigued.
I think you said it nicely. He is a good orator and knows how to sway the masses. Tonight was directed totally at middle America..the ones he is losing; the ones that upset the Dems in Mass.

But I think you hit it when you said "hollow". That's the word I was looking for. A lot of high level talk but little to no details. Sounds more like his wish list rather than what's in store for 2010.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,551 times

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,551 times
I like how the poll shows who voted for what. LOL That's hilarious.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
Watching Obama scold his own party as well as the Republicans, saying how he wants’ the parties to work together to solve the problems of Americans…reminds me that I was right all along: Obama’s sad and short legacy will be the final proof that money and special interests fully control everything and make policy in the USA.

Now we get to watch the whole country march of a cliff... while both parties laugh all the way to the bank (with our money).

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Can't do anything else but citing some book people made up ages ago. Worse than Sarah Palin The GOP just dosen't know anything. It's so sad.
Cited a single sentence from the most read book in the history of the planet to demonstrate a point about the generosity of the the American people, whom he was praising for voluntarily giving to the people of Haiti. Is that really something that needs or deserves to be criticized?

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Another liberal thinking they know republicans when they have no clue.

One minute you are slamming business owners for not paying unskilled workers more money.

That business owners who have been successful and have become rich should share their earnings with others.

Which way do you want it? Because the majority of those businesses will be republican owned business and they will GET RICH AND MAKE A TON OF MONEY. Something the liberals cannot stand!!!

The speech:

Why did it take him ONE FULL YEAR to talk about jobs? Where has he been?
I agree whole heartly, was it a decent speech, yes it was. Surprise coming from me. I don't believe in promises, in a fancy speech, I believe in Action's speak lounder then any words can say. Too little to late, perhaps, why now, These things that should of mattered right along. A good speech maker he is, yes he is good at making promises, but is he going to keep these promises, he so willfully, told us all tonight.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,173 times
Anyone who thought that was a good speech also believes in fairy tales. The same hollow promises he made a year ago, and then forgot the following day. He has no problem lying right to our faces, and some still believe him... Amazing...! He lied about jobs made/saved, he continues to lie about everything.
He didn't get that people hate his plans, which he should have learned in the Mass election of a week ago. He is so self centered he plans to continue to ram a terrible HC bill down our throats. His ideas are a lost cause, and fortunately taking he and his party down the drain.
Like he did before, he stated he is open to ideas, but he said that before, then locked the doors to any who had much better plans.
Everyone understands what he is selling, we just aren't buying it.
The man clearly wants to be king, and it is and will be his undoing..
Terrible speech, full of lies and BS..The man is a complete, incompetent loser, and the next election to dump his butt can't come too soon for the good people of this country...
I wanted to be generous, so I gave him a 2, probably more than he deserves....

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 PM

170 posts, read 473,794 times
Same old speeches. Both parties cannot do anything. To partison. To fractured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies