Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
The world has truly gone mad.
Don't pay your mortgage
Don't pay your credit cards
Now don't pay your student loans.
Where will it end?

Its called liberalism.

Reward losers. Let them be free and steal off of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In Europe the most jokes are about employees in public office since most of the employees (Europe) start the day with coffee and talking and doing nothing( discussing the games they watched over the weekend, etc.). After a couple of hours of doing nothing they go to lunch and can't wait till it is 5 pm to go home and hardly anything is done...sorry I'm not saying it all is true but many have experienced the long lines of waiting in city halls, the bureaucracy and weeks of waiting due to the slow process.
I work in the American private sector, and that prettymuch sounds like my day .

Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't know why I missed that part...I probably was getting ready to go to bed and was already in disbelieve on what the president said during the State of the Union...

He wants to forgive a student loan if the student takes a job in the public office..
I actually heard the speech and he said "jobs in public service". That can include teaching, health care in a non-profit, police work, and other jobs of that nature.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
This is just more government crapola. If someone borrows money from someone else then they should be required to pay it back.

I agree about the moral of paying someone back. When i borrow a 100 or 200 bucks from someone fair and square i have always paid it back...but i don't agree with situations where they make thinsg seem one way when you enter but along the way things pop up and they ********* over but you are forced to spend a life paying them back...i don't agree with the schools getting to raise tuition so high nowadays...and i should be informed at the start that the "fancy named job" they tell you pays a certain amount when you graduate really only pays 9 bucks an hour....it kinda defeats the purpose of going to school anymore if you're stuck there with thousands of dollars to pay back when you do graduate and cant find work in taht field...and schools play games too sometimes so they can just make money off of people..i mean the schools make a killing off of the way they price books, materials, parking spaces, ect...and in my school at DeVry if you fail a class twice that's it for you..you aren't allowed to take it again...i dont know if that's still their policy since i havent been there in 5 years but that's what it was 5 years ago..i mean i did fail one class and was under pressure going into this class the second time like lots of others who failed because they didnt get (understand) that professor...it was a physics-2 class... i thought that rule was stupid because i am paying my money to learn..and its not fair to to say that someone cant try as many times as they please if they are paying money for something...so basically u get screwed if you are weak in one area of studies and dont get a degree after almost finishing the program...well i went on to the next semester with a few others who failed the same coarse and we all did good except this one guy because we had a different professor...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
This is just more government crapola. If someone borrows money from someone else then they should be required to pay it back.

I agree about the moral of paying someone back. When i borrow a 100 or 200 bucks from someone fair and square i have always paid it back...but i don't agree with situations where they make things seem one way when you enter but along the way things pop up and they Eff you over but you are forced to spend a life paying them back...i don't agree with the schools getting to raise tuition so high nowadays...and i should be informed at the start that the "fancy named job" they tell you pays a certain amount when you graduate really only pays 9 bucks an hour....it kinda defeats the purpose of going to school anymore if you're stuck there with thousands of dollars to pay back when you do graduate and cant find work in taht field...and schools play games too sometimes so they can just make money off of people..i mean the schools make a killing off of the way they price books, materials, parking spaces, ect...and in my school at DeVry if you fail a class twice that's it for you..you aren't allowed to take it again...i dont know if that's still their policy since i havent been there in 5 years but that's what it was 5 years ago..i mean i did fail one class and was under pressure going into this class the second time like lots of others who failed because they didnt get (understand) that professor...it was a physics-2 class... i thought that rule was stupid because i am paying my money to learn..and its not fair to to say that someone cant try as many times as they please if they are paying money for something...so basically u get screwed if you are weak in one area of studies and dont get a degree after almost finishing the program...well i went on to the next semester with a few others who failed the same coarse and we all did good except this one guy because we had a different professor...

Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Loan forgiveness has been going on for years you guys. Specific jobs and/or actions can wipe out some or all of your debt after a certain amount of time. Obama didn't invent this idea.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Loan forgiveness has been going on for years you guys. Specific jobs and/or actions can wipe out some or all of your debt after a certain amount of time.
I was wondering when someone would mention this obvious fact. It's even in the Constitution! (Imagine that, rightwingers. )

Article 1, Section 8:
[...]

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

[...]

Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
Privatise healthcare, privatise education and you're immediately creating a problem.

Some things should NEVER be run for a profit.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Privatise healthcare, privatise education and you're immediately creating a problem.

Some things should NEVER be run for a profit.
Indeed. Modern industrial nations owe their success to the education and health of their citizens. I'm astounded by those who can't see beyond their own personal interests to realize that insuring a highly educated and healthy population is beneficial to all.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:23 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I actually heard the speech and he said "jobs in public service". That can include teaching, health care in a non-profit, police work, and other jobs of that nature.
Or volunteer in service to America. The numbers continue to rise in the people joining AmeriCorps, while the numbers continue to rise in unemployment. Does any one see a connection here? or is it just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies