Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
most people I know struggling with student debt are contributint NOTHING to society because they got a worthless degree.
Funny you made me think about a person I used to know and quit all ties to when I found out this person had 3 felonies. This person had 2 felonies before going to College and get a degree in one of the easiest subjects (sounds great to put a sticker on your car with the name of your school, incl. the tag plate on the car, etc...), then got a real estate license and got away with getting a license which this person never should have gotten (felonies in shoplifting/Grand theft, fraud with checks)....

Even for a job in public office it would be hard to get one with a felony...and hopefullly this Obama crazy loan forgiving will never pass any House!

This person recently lost their house to foreclosure and couldn't file for bankruptcy due to the felony...also this person obtained homestead which is illegal under Florida law if you are a felon!

So in the end the degree didn't help much only causing more debt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 PM

768 posts, read 943,290 times
Quote:
most people I know struggling with student debt are contributint NOTHING to society because they got a worthless degree.
My brother isn't struggling per say, but he's not wealthy. He's an MD/PHD doing cancer research. He's got six figures in student loan debt as required in pursuit of his education. I'd say he's contributing.

And let's get serious-95% of us are ignorantly going through the motions, working for companies that do more harm than good anyway. We're contributing to the cycle of American Economics, but we're not "contributing" in any meaningful moral way.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
My brother isn't struggling per say, but he's not wealthy. He's an MD/PHD doing cancer research. He's got six figures in student loan debt as required in pursuit of his education. I'd say he's contributing.

And let's get serious-95% of us are ignorantly going through the motions, working for companies that do more harm than good anyway. We're contributing to the cycle of American Economics, but we're not "contributing" in any meaningful moral way.
95% of us are willy nilly getting degrees to work in meaningless industries. Yeah ok. I suppose you are part of the 5%?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:16 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not here in Texas..tuition went up this year and they've announced it's going up again next year. I've been taking classes (one per semester) and I can tell you my tuition is NOT lower now than 5 years ago.
Plus there are additional mandatory "fees" now that weren't there in 2005.

Austin Community College (Texas residents)
cost per credit in 2005: $100/credit
cost per credit in 2010: $137/credit
Tuition went up all over Wisconsin too. At the four-year UW campuses, tuition grew in 2009 by 5½ percent.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:20 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
For most of these loans, the government makes the money up out of thin air (either electronically, or by printing more worthless paper). I don't have a big problem with this proposal.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Poor guy, no matter what he does it is wrong in the someones eyes.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
For many, there's no jobs right now, in many subjects that were previously good income producers. We need to turn around the outsourcing of jobs for one thing.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Couldnt agree with this policy more...Post Secondary education is a joke anyway..at least university education is a joke...the reality is that with the trends of outsourcing so prevalent, degrees from universities hardly mean anything nowdays..."Well arh..ya shoulda went tah Harverd" you'll say. Sure, and who can pay for that?..and how many open seats does a Harvard caliber school even have available to students?...

Since degrees dont guarantee, and truthfully they dont even imply that someone will earn more money in their career (relative to what they spent), student loans should definitely be forgiven. Universities arent producing skilled workers..they are producing slaves to lending companies. Employers dont necessarily make pay rates commiserate with the debt that degree holders incur anyway. Thats if a degree holder can even get a $9 an hour job anymore..you never know, he may be "overqualified". So in truth, the economic return on investment of college education is already negative for many degree holders.

I predicted that this would happen eventually. Too many young people are unable to pay back their loans due to undercompensation, in its myriad forms within the workforce. Eventually that reduces the amount of young people willing to take on the risk of incurring a lifelong enslavement to lenders, which impacts tuition revenues of state run universities. As long as results (jobs, employment opportunities) do not correlate with the investment in education, fewer people are going to be willing to pursue the crapshoot that has become college education.

They can either forgive people their debt within a certain amount of time, or concede college education altogether when people lose interest in university didactics, and thus we will end up with an uneducated and likely malevolent society of youngsters.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
95% of us are willy nilly getting degrees to work in meaningless industries. Yeah ok. I suppose you are part of the 5%?
Hell no.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Couldnt agree with this policy more...Post Secondary education is a joke anyway..at least university education is a joke...the reality is that degrees from universities hardly mean anything nowdays..."Well arh..ya shoulda went tah Harverd" you'll say. Sure, and who can pay for that?..and how many open seats does a Harvard caliber school even have available to students?...

Since degrees dont guarantee, and truthfully they dont even imply that someone will earn more money in their career (relative to what they spent), student loans should definitely be forgiven. Universities arent producing skilled workers..they are producing slaves to lending companies. Employers dont necessarily make pay rates commiserate with the debt that degree holders incur anyway. Thats if a degree holder can even get a $9 an hour job anymore..you never know, he may be "overqualified". So in truth, the economic return on investment of college education is already negative for many degree holders.

I predicted that this would happen eventually. Too many young people are unable to pay back their loans due to undercompensation, in its myriad forms within the workforce. Eventually that reduces the amount of young people willing to take on the risk of incurring a lifelong enslavement to lenders. As long as results (jobs, employment opportunities) do not correlate with the investment in education, fewer people are going to be willing to pursue the crapshoot that has become college education.

They can either forgive people their debt within a certain amount of time, or concede college education altogether when people lose interest in university didactics, and thus end up with an uneducated and likely malevolent society of youngsters.
This is a very good abstract in arguing against a social science degree, but nothing more.

Computer science, engineering, health careers, and other mathematically strong degrees are expanding rapidly, and will for a long time. My view- oversimplified but generally fair- is that previous economies were so damn good short-term that even the relatively unskilled dummies could parlay their way into upper middle-class stability with a college degree. You get your "management trainee" gig or whatever it is, and the massive beast of consumerism drives your mediocre company to the top. Now, those jobs are gone. Corporations don't have room for psuedo-sales/marketing/nothingness unskilled social science majors who weren't smart enough to handle math. They need raw talent now; they need people who have the capacity to push the company forward into the 21st century.

Liberal arts majors produce unlearned, dead weight in mass. There use to be a place for that in the economy. Now there isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies