Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT] Why should we want a bunch of government dependent types being given jobs by the government?

How about some of that ole American initiative, personal responsibility, work ethic, and so on being rewarded for once?

Tell me there aren't a whole lot of college students out there working for what they want, doing it themselves. Or parents who planned ahead and help pay their children's educations.

Now even college is becoming some huge very costly entitlement program. Maybe if the government got out of that business, tuition rates might come down.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-31-2010 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post and response to same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
The world has truly gone mad.
Don't pay your mortgage
Don't pay your credit cards
Now don't pay your student loans.
Where will it end?
When people stop paying taxes.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's part of a compensation package. Loan forgiveness isn't part of any compensation package. Why do YOU hate the troops?
I would like to know also...what the troops have to do with a study loan is for me a big question.

I know that army personnal can have loans paid for after they have served...but I never heard that some one goes to College and build up a loan, goes into the army later and get a free ride for previous obtained education.

Only for education during the time of serving and for later education after having served. Also when joining Westpoint and probably other army education forms, the education will be paid for by the government if the person furfills all requirement of serving the required time, otherwise it has to be paid back...

Not like the poster is stating who is attacking many others just because she like to get a free ride for her child....

We all like free stuff but realize some one has to pay for it and I will pay for my own children and nobody else has to be responsible and certainly not signing and letting the tax payers pay for it...

Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
[MOD CUT] Why should we want a bunch of government dependent types being given jobs by the government?

How about some of that ole American initiative, personal responsibility, work ethic, and so on being rewarded for once?

Tell me there aren't a whole lot of college students out there working for what they want, doing it themselves. Or parents who planned ahead and help pay their children's educations.

Now even college is becoming some huge very costly entitlement program. Maybe if the government got out of that business, tuition rates might come down.
I'm saying either party should have their college loans forgiven, after ten years. But if it has to be either the government worker, or the private sector employee, it should be the person actually making the money who is already paying the salary of the government worker.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Ok..here we go again..does this sound familiar...

The cost of XXXX is too high..we need to fix it.
Ok..let's subsidize it and then write it off after y years.
Meanwhile the cost continues to rise rather rapidly each year.

If education costs too much, and I agree it does, then FIX THE PROBLEM.
Stop with the government handout bandaids.

Why is education so high and why does it go up so much each year ?
Study that and there will be your answer.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM

507 posts, read 678,706 times
Quote:

Are you serious? Public service (as other people here have mentioned) is not just government jobs. Public service means a lot of things, and many of those professions are absolutely necessary.

I was one of those college students who worked. I worked 40 hours a week as an RA and as notetaker for deaf students, while going to school full time, and I still graduated with debt. The fantasy that you are imagining does not exist. I and all of my friends worked for what we wanted (and education), but we could not work enough to pay for our massively expensive educations in full.

Schools are raising the fees by their own volition. Every year I received a tuition increase notification from my school. This is the reality of our higher education system. We all know that education is important, and having an educated workforce is also extremely important. It keeps this country competitive. So let's not demonize people who are trying to do something positive.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Are you serious? Public service (as other people here have mentioned) is not just government jobs. Public service means a lot of things, and many of those professions are absolutely necessary.

I was one of those college students who worked. I worked 40 hours a week as an RA and as notetaker for deaf students, while going to school full time, and I still graduated with debt. The fantasy that you are imagining does not exist. I and all of my friends worked for what we wanted (and education), but we could not work enough to pay for our massively expensive educations in full.

Schools are raising the fees of their own volition. Every year I received a tuition increase notification from my school. This is the reality of our higher education system. We all know that education is important, and having an educated workforce is also extremely important. It keeps this country competitive. So let's not demonize people who are trying to do something positive.
Did you ever think to ask why it's going up ?
Did you ever think to ask why it's going up double or triple compared to the current inflation numbers ?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Colleges and universities continue to raise their tuition because the government continues to raise the numbers and amounts of grants and loans. It's a never ending cycle and it needs to stop.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Why on earth should someone get taxpayer money to go to college so that they can make MORE money than most of those taxpayers who put them through college so they could attend classes for 15-18 hours each week and have the rest of their hours free, now they're making MORE MONEY than others and expect to not have to repay their loans? That's absurd.

Your daughter is rich thanks to the big loans she was given, it's time she pay back society.
Plus, whenever government steps in to make things better, they screw it up.

By making more and more government funded college loans, all they do is allow colleges to keep jacking up tuition rates, because Uncle Sam and the taxpayers are eager to just keep paying more, which only gives more incentives to raise the tuition again.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM

507 posts, read 678,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you ever think to ask why it's going up ?
Did you ever think to ask why it's going up double or triple compared to the current inflation numbers ?
And your point? You either pay for school or you leave, it's that simple. Leaving was not an option for me. In the tuition notices my university explained the reason behind the rate increase, which was usually a rise in the cost of operation and/or a loss of money by their endowment, and we were told of our new rates. I really don't understand what you are trying to suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies