Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

The teacher and principal over-reacted. The teacher should have explained to the child that this type of toy is no longer allowed in school. The teacher should have asked for the toy, telling the child that it would be returned at the end of the day. The teacher should have put it in a sealed envelope with a letter to the parents explaining the situation and reminding the parents about the rules.

If it is required to report it to the principal, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Cut to the chase: Nine year old boys like guns. So do a lot of young girls.

If there is no toy gun available, they will use a broom handle and pretend it is a rifle. If there is no stick available, they will point their index fingers at each other and yell "BANG!".

If the principal doesn't understand this, he is the world's stupidest man.

If he never pointed his finger and yelled "BANG!" when he was an adolescent, he is also the world's wimpiest principal or a damned liar) and shouldn't be allowed near children.

Just when I thought the world couldn't get any more ridiculous, it does.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The teacher and principal over-reacted. The teacher should have explained to the child that this type of toy is no longer allowed in school. The teacher should have asked for the toy, telling the child that it would be returned at the end of the day. The teacher should have put it in a sealed envelope with a letter to the parents explaining the situation and reminding the parents about the rules.

If it is required to report it to the principal, so be it.
Probably good they didn't find the toy in the boy's underwear.

Might next time, though.

It's possible that kids will grow up to be as stupid as the rules, or their teachers.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Out of curiosity, can kids even have gun or hunting magazines in school these days?
I know a kid who responded to a note asking what he was going to do after school by writing back "I'm going to go home, get my gun and go hunting". It was small game season. The boy's came from a hunting family. Those were his plans for the afternoon. He was suspended for 45 days.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Maybe the principal should have explained to the kid, that if he were allowed to play with a toy like that in school, that it would be highly likely that by 10th grade, he would kill several teachers and other kids he didn't like - maybe even the PRINCIPAL!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Maybe the principal should have explained to the kid, that if he were allowed to play with a toy like that in school, that it would be highly likely that by 10th grade, he would kill several teachers and other kids he didn't like - maybe even the PRINCIPAL!
The kid wouldn't buy it.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
The kid wouldn't buy it.
I think you're right - he's too young to be that stupid.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
I wonder how many parents even know what is their district's discipline policy? Have you read it? Did you know that there is a committee that writes that policy and that it is mandated to have a certain number of community parents on that committee? How many of you go to school board meetings? Watch them on tv? Have ever called a board member? Seriously, your child's experience in school can be impacted by decisions that a group of tired people make at the end of a long meeting just to finally be able to go home to bed. It use to amaze me how few parents cared enough to show up and make their feelings known about even the most serious matters. How few even called to complain about what was going on. And believe me, just a few calls from angry parents can shake up a board and if those angry parents start showing up at school board meetings and making their feelings known they really CAN change things. Try it. You'll find out I'm right.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
zero tolorence is stupid. it gives idiots power they are to stupid to deal with

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder how many parents even know what is their district's discipline policy? Have you read it? Did you know that there is a committee that writes that policy and that it is mandated to have a certain number of community parents on that committee? How many of you go to school board meetings? Watch them on tv? Have ever called a board member? Seriously, your child's experience in school can be impacted by decisions that a group of tired people make at the end of a long meeting just to finally be able to go home to bed. It use to amaze me how few parents cared enough to show up and make their feelings known about even the most serious matters. How few even called to complain about what was going on. And believe me, just a few calls from angry parents can shake up a board and if those angry parents start showing up at school board meetings and making their feelings known they really CAN change things. Try it. You'll find out I'm right.

My kids are now all adults. But when they were youngesters, i sure made my voice heard, if i did not like the way something was going, i felt were wrong. I went to the pta meetings. Talked to the principle, if i did not like something, use to help out in my kids class rooms as a helper. And your absoutely right, too many parents send their kids off to School, and that was it. Their is much more to School then just sending your child there. A responsible parents gets involved with their children's education from elementary school. With the PTA, talke to the principle if there is a problem make suggestions, you feel would benefit the school, help out in your child's classroom, your child, also will appreciate what you are doing.I use to love helping out with the day outings. They were always fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies