Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Yes, it is about how stupid the rule is.

What happened to this kid because of the stupid rule only brings to light how stupid the rule is and how lacking in common sense the adults are who made and enforce the rule.
And when some kid comes in and kills or maims another kid with a toy-like gun, y'all are going to be the first people to freak out and ask why the school didn't do something to keep it from happening.

There is no pleasing some people. I'd rather err on the side of caution and let some irreverent, disobedient children get suspended. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Tell that to the family of Kayla Rolland - a girl who was shot in the face by a fellow first-grader. Which, if you don't know the case, the boy who shot her was 6.

Or this story (http://wcbstv.com/local/gun.nj.school.2.597476.html - broken link), of a 9-year old who brought a real loaded gun to school.

I had toy soldiers with toy guns when I was 9. Did I bring them to school? No.

People can say "Zero tolerance means zero common sense" until they are blue in the face. But with every new story of a school "over reacting" about things like butter knives, 2-inch guns, etc - there's stories you don't hear where the "over reaction" was completely warranted. ((I can describe three that happened in just my senior year of high school that never made it to the news))

I will agree that the boy with the toy ax should be requested to not bring that in, either.

The age makes no difference. I could pull up article after article of children 9 years of age and younger who are criminals. Not to mention, if you need a link to the story of the 6-year old who shot and killed a student, I'll provide it. Plus, I already posted an article about a 2-inch deadly gun.

So, regardless of the age or size of the toy, where did the school over-react? What specific action(s) were crossing the line?

No need for emotional outbursts attacking the school and calling them stupid. Besides, the only side we're recieving in this story is the upset mommy's. Can't exactly make a true judgment on the matter until I hear the other side.

((And hey, the mom could even use this opportunity to change the rules by appealing to the school bard. Imagine that.))

EDIT TO ADD:

I found another link to the story that has a bit of the school's position on the matter.

You can read it here.

So, the boy with the ax should have had a parent-student-principal meeting too. But, again, it shows that the school followed protocol.
It's called mind control, Winston. The thought police. But don't worry, you're safe ... nothing to control, nothing to police.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
An irate Staten Island mom blasted a grade school principal Wednesday for treating her son like a pint-sized Plaxico Burress after he brought a 2-inch-long toy gun to school.

"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable," said Laura Timoney, 44, after her teary fourth-grader was nearly suspended for playing with the tiny toy at lunch.

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52
Not only is this incident bizarre, but the fact this thread has gotten this long... how can anyone mistake this for anything but nutsville on steroids?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder how many parents even know what is their district's discipline policy? Have you read it? Did you know that there is a committee that writes that policy and that it is mandated to have a certain number of community parents on that committee? How many of you go to school board meetings? Watch them on tv? Have ever called a board member? Seriously, your child's experience in school can be impacted by decisions that a group of tired people make at the end of a long meeting just to finally be able to go home to bed. It use to amaze me how few parents cared enough to show up and make their feelings known about even the most serious matters. How few even called to complain about what was going on. And believe me, just a few calls from angry parents can shake up a board and if those angry parents start showing up at school board meetings and making their feelings known they really CAN change things. Try it. You'll find out I'm right.
That's just it.
You (generic), as parent, are responsible to read the policies.
If you don't like the policies, you appeal to the school board.

Parents don't show up for school board meetings, PTA meetings, etc.
Then they complain and say that they didn't know.
Policies are on school district websites.

If parents took an interest in their kids school life, they'd attend PTA meetings.
If they did, they could overturn the stupidity.
Except that most of the stupidity comes from the people who actually attend PTA and school board meetings.

One of the best "zero drug policy" cartoons I ever saw had a school in the background, a zero tolerance sign and a truck full of ritalin being dumped at the back door of the school.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
My kid got suspended for bringig a figernail clipper to school. No common sense, period.
mine was suspended for a squirt gun in kindergarden.

When I told him he was suspended, he responded with "But dad, its only a toy"...

I immediately stopped being upset with him

Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
The principle probably has many more important things to be doing than taking time to think over a minor situation like this so it was easier to just adhere strictly to the zero tolerence policy.

I mean, really...we don't want to have those in charge of our chilrens education to have to waste time thinking or having to use good judgement do we?

Actually, it's good training for kids and setting a good example for them to become good citizens......... just follow the rules....follow the rules.......

Old 02-05-2010, 07:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's just it.
You (generic), as parent, are responsible to read the policies.
If you don't like the policies, you appeal to the school board.
Pretty much.

The policy reads:

Quote:
The DOE's discipline code says that all imitation weapons are prohibited, but, before considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.
So. A prohibited item was brought into school. Child with item was brought to the principal's office and the parents were called. It appears that they discussed that, although it was "only a toy", that it was not permitted on school grounds.

Just appears to me that people around here have this grand idea of: "Hey, if I don't like the rules, I just won't follow them. And when I get in trouble, I'm gonna baw my eyes out and cry foul!" ((Oh, wait. That does sound mighty familiar. ))

And people wonder why kids have zero respect for authority....?

As it's been stated, the mom should do what it takes to change the rules so that her kid can bring the toy instead of kvetching about his hand being smacked for breaking the rules.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And when some kid comes in and kills or maims another kid with a toy-like gun, y'all are going to be the first people to freak out and ask why the school didn't do something to keep it from happening.
We aren't talking about "toy-like guns", we're talking about toys. And any adult who can't tell the difference between that particular toy and a "toy-like gun" shouldn't be in the position of responsibility because s/he is an idiot.

Quote:
There is no pleasing some people. I'd rather err on the side of caution and let some irreverent, disobedient children get suspended. Thanks.
You aren't erring on the side of caution, you are being irrational, controlled by hysterical fear.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
We aren't talking about "toy-like guns", we're talking about toys. And any adult who can't tell the difference between that particular toy and a "toy-like gun" shouldn't be in the position of responsibility because s/he is an idiot.
For those who haven't read, the policy reads:

Quote:
all imitation weapons are prohibited, but, before considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.
We are talking about a toy whose shape imitates a weapon.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
For those who haven't read, the policy reads:

all imitation weapons are prohibited, but, before considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.

We are talking about a toy whose shape imitates a weapon.
We are talking about a 2 inch long gun. Want to list a few guns that are 2 inches long but real?

You must have missed the SIZE.. SHAPE, WEIGHT, APPEARANCE part of your own posting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies