Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Man, the world is a changed place. When I was 16 I brought a real (semi auto) AK-47 to school as part of my Vietnam War project in history class, with OKs from the administration. The teacher was honestly thrilled about it (he served in Vietnam) and I got an A.

Kids today are really missing out on a lot. We're doing them a disservice by keeping them so sheltered and trapped under stupid, fanatically enforced rules. They aren't any safer for it either.
You mentioned some good points. And yes your right, for following the rules, they are not any more safer for following the rules. But again, rules are rules, and i guess, not meant to be broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
The DOE's discipline code says that all imitation weapons are prohibited, but, before considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.

The "rule" itself specifies that it is up to a principal to make a sensible decision before considering suspension. It is clear that this principal does not have the ability to make a sensible decision. Lacking such basic reasoning ability would suggest he is not capable of being a principal. Of course, as I learned as a member of our local school board, firing a principal is harder than defying the laws of gravity. But this kid deserves an apology and the reassurance that not all adults in his world are nuts.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
I am sure this isnt going to go over well for some but I say we let them go outside and kick each others butt if you have that serious of a problem with each other. Like they use to do . No gun, No knife hand and foot to butt. No I am not saying violence is good but my brother got into a few fights. Never took a gun to school never took a knife to school. They settled their problems with a fist fight and it was over. No you have kids packing weapons because fighting fair isnt there or allowed anymore

Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We had an afternoon shooting class at my high school. We all brought .22 cal rifles on class day.

Things have changed drastically. What about kids, who beat the crap out of each other, with their fists, and truly do a lot of damage to the victim. Fists in those cases, can also be lethal weapons. Some of the victims, in cases where nothing but the fists were used, ended up doing serious damage, and operations were done on some victims. Are we going to ban using the fists to.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Things have changed A LOT since the early 90's. We built and FIRED a cannon at school as a project. The firing of the cannon wasn't allowed, but we did it anyway when the teacher was gone (vocational class with a shop) and nobody died or got suspended. Today we would have been expelled and probably put in prison!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Out of curiosity, can kids even have gun or hunting magazines in school these days?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Out of curiosity, can kids even have gun or hunting magazines in school these days?
I doubt it.

But its probably okay to have pop culture crap mags.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Please a 2 inch toy is NOT a weapon, zero tolerance not zero intelligence

Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
"zero tolerance" is a bad policy no matter how you try to apply it.

On the other hand, it's the mom blowing this up bigger than it needs to be...and threatening to sue. She can't deal with her own annoyances and anger issues so she goes public. How typically low class and immature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies