Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Rules are: No toy guns. Period. End of story. DOn't like the rules? Bring it up to the gov't. Until then, the school did nothing wrong.

inb4 "The rule is stupid!" (which is completely irrelevant.)
Rules are made to be broken, stupid rules are made to be ignored. Someone like you would dance the *** everyday at midnight if the law required it. I bet if this kid had a 2" picture of the 2" toy you'd justify that "rules are rules, one can justify, or be frightened by a picture as being the real toy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Maybe meter maid is right on one point: the mom should have a talk with her son, explaining how he learned a valuable lesson about the way the world works and how in a less than perfect world there are consequences, however unjust, for doing nothing wrong and that until the day comes that he can somehow influence or change the world, he'll just have to settle for being less overt with his toys and things.

"Doing nothing wrong"?

He broke a rule of the school.

No matter how stupid said rule is, it's still wrong.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some of us noted where we were allowed to bring guns to school - for the shooting clubs - and firearms safety classes - taught in school
I should note, that I'm quite a bit younger - as I only left high school less than 5 years ago. I dealt with the zero-tolerance malarkey. And believe me, I would have loved a firearms safety class; I'm quite jealous. In fact, I'm quite positive that proper gun education would yield great results.

Remembering, of course, my philosphy on gun control is "hitting your mark on the first shot".

The point I'm trying to make is that despite how stupid a rule is, the correct response is to either follow it, or change it. Simply breaking the rule and crying foul when caught is not the correct response to a stupid rule.

So, it's a 2-inch toy. This gives the parents excellent ammo (pun, intended) to change the rules. But instead, the mom seems to be quite comfortable with the idea of just suing and getting money.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Rules are made to be broken, stupid rules are made to be ignored. Someone like you would dance the *** everyday at midnight if the law required it. I bet if this kid had a 2" picture of the 2" toy you'd justify that "rules are rules, one can justify, or be frightened by a picture as being the real toy.

And breaking of said rules makes the kid gets into trouble, no matter how stupid the rule is.

There is a no tolerance policy on toy guns at school. Period. Try to change the stupid rule, which I do agree, the rule IS stupid, but don't try to pretend there shouldn't be consequences for breaking the rule. That sets a very bad precedent for the kids.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM

558 posts, read 819,192 times
Quote:
"Doing nothing wrong"?

It's never "wrong" to break a rule just because it's a rule (not that I'm not saying a child should be the judge of what is or isn't a worthwhile rule). We all need to pick and choose our battles, and if I was the parent I probably wouldn't push the issue, but there's a lesson here deeper than that.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
It's never "wrong" to break a rule just because it's a rule (not that I'm not saying a child should be the judge of what is or isn't a worthwhile rule). We all need to pick and choose our battles, and if I was the parent I probably wouldn't push the issue, but there's a lesson here deeper than that.

And I disagree. It is wrong to break a rule. To act otherwise is childish in my opinion. Do I break rules? All the time. Do I harbor any illusions that I shouldn't face consequences for my breaking the rules? Not at all.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
"Doing nothing wrong"?

And the same people will whine and gripe when they get a speeding ticket for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

Speeder: "But it was only 5 miles! I wasn't endangering anyone, there weren't any speed limit signs and most every one else was going faster!"

Judge: "Sorry, the law says do not exceed the speed limit, I find you guilty! Pay a 100.00 fine in 14 days. "

Horray for Strict Liability.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,090 times
Default 9 Year Old busted for 2-inch-long toy gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
An irate Staten Island mom blasted a grade school principal Wednesday for treating her son like a pint-sized Plaxico Burress after he brought a 2-inch-long toy gun to school.

"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable," said Laura Timoney, 44, after her teary fourth-grader was nearly suspended for playing with the tiny toy at lunch.

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52

In reaction to public demand, lots of American school districts adopted these "zero tolerance" policies. Teachers and principals don't have the authority to decide to enforce or not enforce these regulations.

As I understand it, districts with this policy make it clear to students and parents what the rules and consequences are.

Laura Timoney, 44 is an idiot. Maybe her son, too. Wonder where he got it...

Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And the same people will whine and gripe when they get a speeding ticket for going 5 miles over the speed limit.
Nice job of trying to assume how I am. Which, by the way, is completely untrue.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM

558 posts, read 819,192 times
Quote:
And I disagree. It is wrong to break a rule. To act otherwise is childish in my opinion. Do I break rules? All the time. Do I harbor any illusions that I shouldn't face consequences for my breaking the rules? Not at all.
If you believed what you just said you'd turn yourself in.

To discuss the virtues and consequences (or lack thereof) of obedience and disobedience is beyond the scope of this thread, though I think it would make an interesting topic for a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies