Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here.... ((And probably gonna get scorned for even remotely defending the school, but I don't care))
Come on Rita

This was FLAT OUT STUPID on the part of the school and Principal! The Principal should lose their job!

As a society, we are losing all elements of COMMON SENSE! He is a 9 year old. 9 year olds play with toy soldiers and toy guns!

For crying out loud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
All this is basically going to teach the child is that he can't depend on grown-ups to use common sense and that you can't respect an idiot. Seriously, one of the main reason that kids grow up with a lack of respect for the authority figures in their lives is because kids have a very strong sense of "fair play" and are outraged when they know that what is being done to them is unfair and they can't do anything about it because the person doing it has the authority over them.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
At 9 years old, this kid knows what he's allowed to bring to school.
He's 9, not 3.
If nothing else, his parents know the rules.

Do I think the rules are stupid, perhaps.
However, they are the rules and the families are aware of the rules.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,179,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As a society, we are losing all elements of COMMON SENSE! He is a 9 year old. 9 year olds play with toy soldiers and toy guns!
Tell that to the family of Kayla Rolland - a girl who was shot in the face by a fellow first-grader. Which, if you don't know the case, the boy who shot her was 6.

Or this story (http://wcbstv.com/local/gun.nj.school.2.597476.html - broken link), of a 9-year old who brought a real loaded gun to school.

I had toy soldiers with toy guns when I was 9. Did I bring them to school? No.

People can say "Zero tolerance means zero common sense" until they are blue in the face. But with every new story of a school "over reacting" about things like butter knives, 2-inch guns, etc - there's stories you don't hear where the "over reaction" was completely warranted. ((I can describe three that happened in just my senior year of high school that never made it to the news))

I will agree that the boy with the toy ax should be requested to not bring that in, either.

The age makes no difference. I could pull up article after article of children 9 years of age and younger who are criminals. Not to mention, if you need a link to the story of the 6-year old who shot and killed a student, I'll provide it. Plus, I already posted an article about a 2-inch deadly gun.

So, regardless of the age or size of the toy, where did the school over-react? What specific action(s) were crossing the line?

No need for emotional outbursts attacking the school and calling them stupid. Besides, the only side we're recieving in this story is the upset mommy's. Can't exactly make a true judgment on the matter until I hear the other side.

((And hey, the mom could even use this opportunity to change the rules by appealing to the school bard. Imagine that.))

EDIT TO ADD:

I found another link to the story that has a bit of the school's position on the matter.

You can read it here.

Quote:
The DOE's discipline code says that all imitation weapons are prohibited, but, before considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.

A message left for Principal Evelyn Matroianni was not returned. However, Margie Feinberg, a spokeswoman for the DOE, said there is a no-tolerance policy when it comes to fake guns because they are considered harmful to the school community.

"Toy guns are not allowed in schools," she said, adding that a conference was held among the principal, the parents and the student about the topic.
So, the boy with the ax should have had a parent-student-principal meeting too. But, again, it shows that the school followed protocol.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Man, the world is a changed place. When I was 16 I brought a real (semi auto) AK-47 to school as part of my Vietnam War project in history class, with OKs from the administration. The teacher was honestly thrilled about it (he served in Vietnam) and I got an A.

Kids today are really missing out on a lot. We're doing them a disservice by keeping them so sheltered and trapped under stupid, fanatically enforced rules. They aren't any safer for it either.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM

We had an afternoon shooting class at my high school. We all brought .22 cal rifles on class day.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Yeah, bringing a real gun to school is a smart move.
Ask Columbine students.

BTW, 40 years ago is not today.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Tell that to the family of Kayla Rolland - a girl who was shot in the face by a fellow first-grader. Which, if you don't know the case, the boy who shot her was 6.
I can provide YOU with stories of a 7 or 8 year old picking up a rock and killing another kid - do we now prohibit rocks at school? Or, how about Boots - Western boots? Yep, another weapon.

I'm sorry - we are sheltering our children to a dangerous level IMO

As a society - we can do NOTHING to eliminate every danger out there. We can make people FEARFUL of everything though -

Educate our kids about what they can and cannot bring to school. WE NEED THE PARENTS involvement - and in the cases you cited - there was little of this. The problem is at home Rita.

Frankly - I want the shooting classes back in schools as we had them - it taught people RESPECT for a firearm.

Take a 6 / 7 (and older) to a morgue - let them see dead people - make them watch an autopsy. Don't hide this from kids!

Take kids that have gotten into trouble to a high security prison - turn them over to the inmates for a while - it works Rita!

Stop sheltering little Johnnie

Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times
Wouldn't surprise me if the Principal thought it was a real working gun. I often think that upper-Administration in schools are from another planet.

Absolutely assinine.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if the Principal thought it was a real working gun. I often think that upper-Administration in schools are from another planet.

Absolutely assinine.
If you know the rules, and you knowingly break the rules, you pay the consequences.
Pretty simple, isn't it.
Got a gripe? Take it up with the school board.
Until then, you follow the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies