Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We are talking about a 2 inch long gun. Want to list a few guns that are 2 inches long but real?

You must have missed the SIZE.. SHAPE, WEIGHT, APPEARANCE part of your own posting..
Check my first post of the thread. I did link to a gun that was not only 2 inches in length, but fires a bullet at almost 300mph.

But I shall link to it again: Two-inch deadly gun.

And if you don't want to read the article, here's just a picture of the gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Check my first post of the thread. I did link to a gun that was not only 2 inches in length, but fires a bullet at almost 300mph.
I checked the image in your link, it looks like it would have moving parts.. The kids did not
I checked the link and it says the gun cost 3000 (converted to american money $4600) Are you telling me you think the kid was carrying a gun that cost $4600?
I checked the link and it says its banned in the usa.. Are you telling me you think the kid was carrying a banned weapon?
I checked the link, the "real" 2 inch gun seems to be made out of metal, the kids gun was plastic
I checked the photo, it looks like the real gun has a chamber, the kids fake plastic gun did not
The kids fake gun, if real, looks like it would be used in the battleground, the one in your op.. doesnt look like it'll be used to help take over countries anytime soon.
the fake gun has a scope, do you really think it worked? (pretty cool if it did though)
the fake gun had a magazine, do you think it was removable to fill with bullets?

You seriously are not telling me you cant tell the difference?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
It amazes me about some people who parse, phsyco analyze, all in a guise to support or justify such rubbish. People like this have no common since and or have an ulterior motive with such nonsense that mainly focuses on boys. To dislike little girls or girly behavior is a sin but beware of those little boys who act like boys. A 2" plastic toy.........please.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
For those who haven't read, the policy reads:
Quote:
all imitation weapons are prohibited, but, before considering suspension, it is up to a principal to decide whether a fake gun looks realistic, by evaluating the color, size, shape, appearance and weight.
You're only proving that the person responsible for the suspension is a total idiot. Unlike the real 2 inch gun you so proudly linked, the one in question in no way, shape or form looks realistic. Not even close.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 AM

530 posts, read 780,107 times
I nearly spit out my coffee when I saw this story on the news this morning! I immediately thought of my friends son who has gotten all into legos recently, him and his friends spend hours setting up a town complete with people animals gas stations and yes guns, I understand the "zero tolerance" but as was said it is up to the administrators of the school to use good judgement as to a course of action. I fail to see how threatening suspension based on this "toy" is at all using good judgement.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It amazes me about some people who parse, phsyco analyze, all in a guise to support or justify such rubbish. People like this have no common since and or have an ulterior motive with such nonsense that mainly focuses on boys. To dislike little girls or girly behavior is a sin but beware of those little boys who act like boys. A 2" plastic toy.........please.
Again, I had toy guns as a kid. I even had real guns available in the household - of which I knew how to use.

Did I any of them to school? No. Why? Because they were items prohibited from the school.

If I didn't like the rule, tough cookies until I (or my parents) went about changing the rules. That's how these things worked.

Quote:
You're only proving that the person responsible for the suspension is a total idiot. Unlike the real 2 inch gun you so proudly linked, the one in question in no way, shape or form looks realistic. Not even close.
There was no suspension. There was a meeting between the principal, the kid, and the parents.

Sounds pretty civil to me.

And you're proving my point that: people around here have this grand idea of: "Hey, if I don't like the rules, I just won't follow them. And when I get in trouble, I'm gonna baw my eyes out and cry foul!"

Kid broke the rules, kid got in trouble.

If the parents don't like the rule, then they need to get the rule changed. Or should we really teach kids that "Rules you don't agree with are stupid and you don't have to follow them"? ((Oh wait, society has been. And look what happens...))

Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Did I any of them to school? No. Why? Because they were items prohibited from the school.
Some of us noted where we were allowed to bring guns to school - for the shooting clubs - and firearms safety classes - taught in school

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Rules are: No toy guns. Period. End of story. DOn't like the rules? Bring it up to the gov't. Until then, the school did nothing wrong.

inb4 "The rule is stupid!" (which is completely irrelevant.)

Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some of us noted where we were allowed to bring guns to school - for the shooting clubs - and firearms safety classes - taught in school

Which, again, is completely irrelevant to the point. You might've done so in your day, but that's not how things are done anymore.

Lots of things have changed with school systems.

Integration, for one.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 AM

558 posts, read 818,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Come on Rita

This was FLAT OUT STUPID on the part of the school and Principal! The Principal should lose their job!

As a society, we are losing all elements of COMMON SENSE! He is a 9 year old. 9 year olds play with toy soldiers and toy guns!

For crying out loud!
Maybe meter maid is right on one point: the mom should have a talk with her son, explaining how he learned a valuable lesson about the way the world works and how in a less than perfect world there are consequences, however unjust, for doing nothing wrong and that until the day comes that he can somehow influence or change the world, he'll just have to settle for being less overt with his toys and things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies