Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Excellent point, and by the way, you were very lucky. I was educated by Dominicans, back in the day when the nuns had no choice of careers, and most of them were horrible teachers, and acted as though they hated children. . . BUT. . . . the only teaching that made any sense to me at all was "follow your own concience". . . I did, I do, and now do not identify as Christian, and am an unashamed liberal. God Bless those Catholic schools!
While there's much in Catholicism that I disagree with, I do enjoy Catholic art and architecture. I sometimes attend mass in many of these traditional churches just to gawk at the art.

And yes, some of these Catholic (Jesuit) schools are just awesome, especially the prep schools like Welcome to Saint Ignatius College Prep They can be expensive and elitist, but just gawking at and walking around in the campus makes you admire the resiliency of Catholic tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
To be religous you have to have a standard of morals. Many on the left have no morals.
Morality was around a LONG TIME before Christianity. Don't you think for one second that we invented morals.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,206,104 times
Because I think organized religion is regressive. I'm more of a realist and a man who follow scientific logic. Worshiping some supernatural being who I believe does not exist is a waste of time.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,674,760 times
Quote:

Most people in this country who believe in a creator try and follow the 10 Commandments. Many on the left are not religous because they then would have to follow the 10 Commandments.

Thou shall not steal. Many on the left believe it is OK to "steal" money, in the form of taxes, and give that money to those who did not earn it.

Thou shall not covet thy neighnors wife. Many on the left have no problem with politicians who have strayed form their marriage. "They apologized" all is forgiven even though the apology is only because they got caught.

Thou shall not kill. Abortion.

To be religous you have to have a standard of morals. Many on the left have no morals.
Wow that is hilarious. What a blanket statement. You realize how many so called religious conservatives have been busted for cheating on their wives, stealing, cheating on taxes, ... Priests molesting children, stealing from parishioners... I mean wow, what a narrow view of the world you have.

Yes, all us libbies are horrible people without morals becuase we are not religious.

Again, people who need religion to be moral scare me a lot more than people who don't.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM

15,101 posts, read 8,652,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The word "creator" is not used in the bill of rights... and you called them "God given rights", which they are not.

The Bill of Rights: A Transcription

Just checked the majority of the Federalist Papers and no mention of "creator" there either...

The Federalist - Contents
You are correct, to the best of my knowledge, however, the declaration of independence is rife with references to God, Creator, Divine Providence, etc., which surely demonstrates that the framers of the constitution believed in God.

Furthermore, "secularists" would have you believe that the absence of specific references to God in the constitution is proof that the framers were secularists, ignores the fact that what they base their secularist ideology on is Darwinism and the theory of evolution which did not even exist in 1787. The theory of evolution was not postulated by Darwin until the mid 1800's.

Given the attention the framers of the constitution observed in the careful selection of language used, the obvious conclusion is that references to God were specifically omitted to guard against the possibility of misapplying such language as an endorsement of a theocracy, which would have been the antithesis of the type of government envisioned ... a government of the people, by the people and for the people.

One can easily support that conclusion by closely examining the individual writings and comments of the those who drafted the constitution which clearly shows a majority belief in a "creator".

Citing the language of the constitution by itself as proof of the secular views of the framers, while ignoring all contextual support contradicting such a conclusion, the secularists would have everyone abandon common sense in order to embrace such nonsense.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,906,340 times
Most religions require the human to adopt a set of second hand standards. Free thinking liberals/conservatives prefer to discover our own truths, and we have the option of taking a lot, and little or nothing from pre set religions.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM

768 posts, read 943,699 times
Democrats are statistically more educated. Non-believers are statistically more educated.

Thus, well, you get it.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM

22 posts, read 38,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I would be very curious of the "religious" people on the right. Are they really religious or are they just putting in their time at church every Sunday? Do they wear religion as a empty label or do they live a truly religious life? I think of myself as spiritual, but I live a much more "religious" life than most of the Christians that I know (according to the Bible).

If you truly believe, you should not go to Church like you would traffic school. Just putting in your time for appearance sake.
This makes me think of that saying, "For some people, standing in a church and calling themselves Christian is like standing in a garage and calling yourself a mechanic."

Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Oh yes, and all of the right have high morals.
Evangelical ministers who do drugs; rant against gays when they have homosexual relationships themselves; accept and praise the murder of those who think differently from you; the ones who steal from their congregations; the pedophiles protected by their churches.

Yep, you've got the moral high ground.
No doubt.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Wow that is hilarious. What a blanket statement. You realize how many so called religious conservatives have been busted for cheating on their wives, stealing, cheating on taxes, ... Priests molesting children, stealing from parishioners... I mean wow, what a narrow view of the world you have.

Yes, all us libbies are horrible people without morals becuase we are not religious.

Again, people who need religion to be moral scare me a lot more than people who don't.
I don't think you read my post in detail.

I know of many conservative who have been caught etc. What happenned to them? They resigned. What happenned to the dems? They stayed in office Bill Clinton come to mind.

I did not say ALL as you claim, I said MANY.

Didn't say people need religion to be moral. But, people who are religous tend to be more moral than those who aren't religous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies