Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,414,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

The NYT article has been proven false. You got any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,414,092 times
Rotflmao!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
those liars!
No wonder right wingers enter "misleading" thread titles -- they think it's all right to, since fox does it.
And no wonder right wingers are so... Misled.

Anyway this is already a thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...there-has.html
he admitted he was disorganized -- he didnt "make a u-turn" by any means.
according to mr harrabin, colleagues of professor jones said ‘his office is piled high with paper, fragments from over the years, tens of thousands of pieces of paper, and they suspect what happened was he took in the raw data to a central database and then let the pieces of paper go because he never realised that 20 years later he would be held to account over them’.
...he denied he had cheated over the data or unfairly influenced the scientific process, and said he still believed recent temperature rises were predominantly man-made.
how can any of you say fox doesnt lie, with headlines like that?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! what a great thread!

Thanks Old Gringo for the fodder!
I knew it was trivial amount but I didn't realize it was that trivial . I did some calculations for houses too but went with total oil consumption instead because I could get total US usage for oil easily. For the houses assuming 200 million BTU per year which is somewhere around the average for 2000 sq. foot home in the northeast you would have to heat a house that size for every person on the earth for one year to equal the sun for one hour.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you lost me at gold standard.

Some have to have a picture.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I knew it was trivial amount but I didn't realize it was that trivial . I did some calculations for houses too but went with total oil consumption instead because I could get total US usage for oil easily. For the houses assuming 200 million BTU per year which is somewhere around the average for 2000 sq. foot home in the northeast you would have to heat a house that size for every person on the earth for one year to equal the sun for one hour.
just brilliant! thanks for that! I really enjoyed it.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:07 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Flat earthers again, they'll all be that way when the FundiMENTAList School boards in Texas get done. The earth is cycling warmer but look at DC, more snow than Buffalo. Vancouver where they are trucking Snow to the Winter Olympics

Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Source 1 (Earth Institute):

http://iri.columbia.edu/~bhoch/bergen/pdf/lec14notes.pdf

Is a information sheet with no citation or reference to research that supports its claims.

Source 2 (Environmental Defense Fund):

Blueprint Lays Out Clear Path for Climate Action - Global Warming - Environmental Defense Fund

No citations or sourcing provided. It is simply a call to action, hot air claims (opps I made a funny) that are assumptive politically driven claims that provide no evidential support, nor does it even support general implications to which the wiki entry suggests. This isn't even a source as much as it is wasted opinion based text.

Source 3 (Kenneth M. Hinkel; Frederick E. Nelson (2007));

http://www.geography.uc.edu/~kenhinke/uhi/Hinkel&Nelson_JGR-A_2007.pdf

The conclusions state no links to AGW nor even suggest such. They merely state an increased temperature in urban areas.

This is obvious and it is a point of fact that has been brought up numerous times when evaluating the surface record temperature trends. That is, the drastic warming attributed to AGW is in fact cherry picked sites that show bias due to UHI.

Yes, we know asphalt and other urban influences will show a warmer reading. Water by the way is also wet. Care to provide some support to the link that this is causing climate change?

Source 4 (National Weather Service):

NWS Publications: Heat Wave

This link also does not create a link between UHI and climate change. It simply states a known fact that temperatures in such areas will show an increase compared to many rural (Not always, as some forms of vegetation areas will show higher than urban). Again though, this as I said does nothing to support the link to climate change. It is more of a safety awareness sheet.

Source 5 (EPA)

http://www.epa.gov/hiri/resources/pdf/HIRIbrochure.txt

Much like source 4, this is simply an information sheet and suggested steps to help reduce UHI. It provides no citation nor does it suggest a link to climate change.

Of the Statement in Wiki:

Its only direct attempt at support for climate change is source 2. Which is:

1)Without any proper citation to support to the claim the wiki article mentions or that of a cause to climate change. The wiki implies it, but doesn't support it with the citation.

2) The main link of support is to the Environmental Defense Fund. A known environmental advocacy group and one that has had no problems stepping all over its face in the display of the the facts concerning the science.

None of the links provided even remotely support your conclusion and that is beside the fact that it is an obvious slanted entry attempting to find support for a political bias.

Here is a tip. Do not use wiki as your source. It is extremely poor for primary source is subject to errors, bias and agenda.

Can you actually discuss the science past posting "I am new to the internet" sites that only make you look ignorant of the topic? Seriously, I have seen you ridicule people in numerous posts for being "stupid", "Ignorant" and "uneducated" and yet you provide us with such amateur arguments and support that a first grader could defeat without even trying? Where is your "intellectual" position? So far, all I see is a lot of UHI coming from your side of the fence.
Not only do the heat engines (internal combustion, turbines, steam) that Old Gringo mentioned release huge amounts of heat into the environment, but many other daily activities do, too.

Your refrigerator runs 24/7 and it releases heat into the environment.

Your furnace (obviously) releases heat into the environment.

Your air conditioner releases heat into the environment.

Most of your electrical appliances (TV, radio, stereo, etc) release heat into the environment.

The power plant that provides the electricity (even if it's nuclear) to run your appliances releases huge amounts of heat into the environment.

A couple of billion motor vehicles running every day release heat from their exhaust and cooling systems into the environment.

Add a few million planes, trains, and ships operating daily. All releasing heat into the environment.

It adds up. Those of you pretending that it has no effect are fooling yourselves or else you're unaware of the reality.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It wont work on an ideologue. They have rejected reality.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
The NYT article has been proven false. You got any others?

It's from NASA, not the NYT.

It has been proven accurate, just like the earth getting warmer has.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Flat earthers again, they'll all be that way when the FundiMENTAList School boards in Texas get done. The earth is cycling warmer but look at DC, more snow than Buffalo. Vancouver where they are trucking Snow to the Winter Olympics
The Old Farmer's Almanac predicted a longer and colder winter than normal.
They are usually spot on the money.

Last winter was mild as was last summer as far as extreme weather conditions. You shouldn't go making assumptions based on one cold winter with lots of storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies