Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM

768 posts, read 1,088,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How do you know that his intention was to kill IRS employees? In his state of mind, he probably intended more to make a statement about the injustice of the IRS. Can't Americans sympathize with him even a little because we agree that american life can be very stressful on a man, espec when he has been harassed by the IRS. The muslims did it b/c of their religious belief and knew what they were doing intentionally. The austin guy was just tired of life, knew he wanted to end it all and go out with a bang. I feel sorry for the guy, but at least he fulfilled his last wish.
The guy is a hero in my book. Think of how many people's lives were ruined by IRS audits and harassment. Does the IRS really think payback wouldn't be forthcoming some day. Sure, I wish the employee wouldn't have died but then again, perhaps that is the risk one takes working for an agency like the IRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Obama administration finally admits that Ft. Hood massacre was a terrorist act. Only took them three months to figure that out. Yep, this country's in good safe hands with Christian-haters and Islamic apologists in the driver's seat.

Ft. Hood Attack Publicly Called “Terrorism” « Liveshots

Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
The guy is a hero in my book. Think of how many people's lives were ruined by IRS audits and harassment. Does the IRS really think payback wouldn't be forthcoming some day. Sure, I wish the employee wouldn't have died but then again, perhaps that is the risk one takes working for an agency like the IRS.
I can't believe there are folks that actually think this way. This is the exact thought processes of a terroist. They viewed the US as being evil (infidels) so what if a few thousands were sacrificed on 911 ....

Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Obama administration finally admits that Ft. Hood massacre was a terrorist act. Only took them three months to figure that out. Yep, this country's in good safe hands with Christian-haters and Islamic apologists in the driver's seat.

Ft. Hood Attack Publicly Called “Terrorism” « Liveshots
Nice try but on this forum both Conservatives and Liberals identified Hasan as a terrorist. However, only Liberals idetified Stack as a terrorist whereas Conservatives were defending him and saying he was just a mentally ill person instead of a wilfull terrorist. One only needs to examine the responses on this thread to see the Right Wing defend Stack and make exceptions for Stack. I guess terrorism only applies to Muslims in the eyes of Conservatives.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,867 times
Well, 'mentally ill' or hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
The guy is a hero in my book.

I'd say your 'book' needs some major reworking. From a professional if you can afford it.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Exactly. Coercion is a fundamental part of how we define terrorists. If an act lacks coercive elements, it cannot be defined as terrorism.
Except coercion was used in this case. If Stack merely wanted revenge, he would have just ran his plane into the side of the building and left it at that. However, he deliberately left a manifesto to be read and threatened the IRS and claimed others feel this way. Stack was trying to send a political message. This was an act of coercion on his part and this was clearly an act of terrorism. Terrorism isn't excluded to religious motivation.

I'm amused that you are ignoring the method in which he carried out his act. If revenge was his sole purpose then why not simply shoot IRS employees as they left the building? Why would he deliberately use a plane as his mode of violence. Do you really think his use of a plane was not used to attract attention. He clearly sought attention in this case and the evidence clearly supports that (use of a plane, a 6 page manifesto to be read after his act).

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-02-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
Does every mentally ill murderer kill and behave in the exact same way?NO.What makes you think that suffering from a bout of depression is the same thing as being seriously mentally ill? Have you ever taken a look at the DSM?
And if you've read the DSM, you would understand that a person doesn't have to be mentally ill to commit a violent act. I never claimed a bout of depression is the same as being seriously mentally ill. Don't twist my words. However, if you have ever read the DSM, you would recognize the difference between conditions like adjustment disorders and schizophrenia. In adjustment disorders, the timeline and stressor are key components and this person had nothing to warrant that. And thus far, there hasn't been any documented evidence that this person was sufferring from schizophrenia or experienced auditory or visual hallucinations. So if you have any tangible evidence to confirm mental illness aside from your unsubstantiated opinion then I would love to hear it. In the real world, psychiatrists do not provide a FORMAL diagnosis based on what they saw on television.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why isn't he referred to as a domestic terrorist.
Because...
- His ideology bodes well with many conservatives, so they're out to make him a hero (kinda like what radical Islamic militants do to those who commit suicide for their cause)
- He is not a Muslim.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
. I simply said that the 9/11 terrorists were not insane.
This is what is interesting. Even though you are not a psychiatrist or have any formal training diagnosing mentally ill individuals, you are quick to diagnose Stack as being mentally ill although you have not examined him personally, and never looked at his medical history. However, you know for certain all the 9/11 terrorists were not mentally ill? So how is it that you can confirm that none of the 9/11 terrorists were mentally ill but can state without a doubt that Stack was mentally ill? It's interesting that you are choosing to view the 9/11 attackers as being terrorists but Stack as being a mentally ill non-terrorist based on no real evidence. You are just confirming my point

Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Except coercion was used in this case. If Stack merely wanted revenge, he would have just ran his plane into the side of the building and left it at that. However, he deliberately left a manifesto to be read and threatened the IRS and claimed others feel this way. Stack was trying to send a political message. This was an act of coercion on his part and this was clearly an act of terrorism. Terrorism isn't excluded to religious motivation.
The coercive element depends entirely upon his confidence that the inherent threat of others acting in a similar way would be realized. I don't know if he was that confident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies