Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How do you know that his intention was to kill IRS employees? In his state of mind, he probably intended more to make a statement about the injustice of the IRS. Can't Americans sympathize with him even a little because we agree that american life can be very stressful on a man, espec when he has been harassed by the IRS. The muslims did it b/c of their religious belief and knew what they were doing intentionally. The austin guy was just tired of life, knew he wanted to end it all and go out with a bang. I feel sorry for the guy, but at least he fulfilled his last wish.
OMG...are you serious? Did you forget about the part where he set the house (which was not in foreclosure by the way) on fire while his wife and daughter were in it? People have had to endure worse things than this guy and did not fly planes into buildings. As a matter of fact, most people that get harrassed by the IRS (and I know a couple) don't even own planes. Not only did he not consider the innocent lives of people working in that building, he didn't didn't care about his own daughter. He did do this intentionally. Did you read what he wrote? Are you kidding me? Wow...If you think American life is so stressful, you are free to leave. No one is holding you here against your will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
OMG...are you serious? Did you forget about the part where he set the house (which was not in foreclosure by the way) on fire while his wife and daughter were in it? People have had to endure worse things than this guy and did not fly planes into buildings. As a matter of fact, most people that get harrassed by the IRS (and I know a couple) don't even own planes. Not only did he not consider the innocent lives of people working in that building, he didn't didn't care about his own daughter. He did do this intentionally. Did you read what he wrote? Are you kidding me? Wow...If you think American life is so stressful, you are free to leave. No one is holding you here against your will.
That's why I think he's more like the angry depressed father who shoots his family before killing himself. I feel pity for the guy because I think he suffered clinical depression and possibly other mental problems. Had he sought help, all this could have been avoided. Problem is, some people with mental problems don't realize they have a problem. For them, there's nothing wrong with them, it's everyone else that's the problem because in their mind,..."they're all out to get me". My uncle is like that. He tried to kill himself. They brought him to the hospital and eventually put him on a prescription that worked wonders. Sadly, he's begun to stop taking his prescription and is going down hill. His behavior has gotten so bad that hardly anyone showed up for his daughter's wedding, not even his three brothers and their family. The rest of us showed up to be there for his daughter inspite of his behavior.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
No they weren't inside. They arrived home and found the house burning.

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

"Neighbor Elbert Hutchins said he ran to the house while calling 911 and saw flames coming out of an upstairs window. Soon he saw a woman and a girl drive up in a car. Neighbors believe that was Stack’s wife and daughter, who is about 12 years old."

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
That's why I think he's more like the angry depressed father who shoots his family before killing himself. I feel pity for the guy because I think he suffered clinical depression and possibly other mental problems. Had he sought help, all this could have been avoided. Problem is, some people with mental problems don't realize they have a problem. For them, there's nothing wrong with them, it's everyone else that's the problem because in their mind,..."they're all out to get me". My uncle is like that. He tried to kill himself. They brought him to the hospital and eventually put him on a prescription that worked wonders. Sadly, he's begun to stop taking his prescription and is going down hill. His behavior has gotten so bad that hardly anyone showed up for his daughter's wedding, not even his three brothers and their family. The rest of us showed up to be there for his daughter inspite of his behavior.
Okay, I can understand having sympathy for someone with a mental illness. Mental illness is real and just like other illnesses, not something you can control (without medication and treatment). This angle makes more sense but bringing "big government" into it or saying that he did this due to the harsh conditions of American life is ludicrous. I feel sorry for his family and anyone that was injured here but he is gone. You're right, he needed help but he is not a martyr or a hero just because he was angry about having to pay taxes. There is no revenge here, the IRS will take what they want from his estate and his daughter no longer has a father. This is a sad story and this man did not die for a cause. This is not the government's fault.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

"Neighbor Elbert Hutchins said he ran to the house while calling 911 and saw flames coming out of an upstairs window. Soon he saw a woman and a girl drive up in a car. Neighbors believe that was Stack’s wife and daughter, who is about 12 years old."
Well, that makes it OK, then.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Okay so he didn't try to kill them, just wanted them to be homeless and for his daughter to grow up struggling with the thought that her father didn't love her enough to live. That may not be the case, but it's hard for a 12-year-old to understand mental illness.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, that makes it OK, then.
I'm not condoning what he did but people shouldn't post non facts as facts.

Don't you agree ?

If the wife/kid weren't home then he wasn't out to "kill his family" as some posters have alluded to. Given the non-facts as facts one may jump to the wrong conclusion.

He was mad at the IRS and took out an innocent Federal Employee and put several others in the hospital. I don't condone that at all.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Okay so he didn't try to kill them, just wanted them to be homeless and for his daughter to grow up struggling with the thought that her father didn't love her enough to live. That may not be the case, but it's hard for a 12-year-old to understand mental illness.
Who said he had mental illness ?

I think he just cracked under financial pressure.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
I'm not condoning what he did but people shouldn't post non facts as facts.

Don't you agree ?

If the wife/kid weren't home then he wasn't out to "kill his family" as some posters have alluded to. Given the non-facts as facts one may jump to the wrong conclusion.

He was mad at the IRS and took out an innocent Federal Employee and put several others in the hospital. I don't condone that at all.
Yes, I agree with your first sentence. I probably wouldn't have posted what I did if it had been qualified a bit, like "that was still the wrong thing to do", or the like. Been a long day.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You are simply rationalizing this incident to make him sound less threatening. This was a calculated move. He had a grudge against the IRS and had every intent to kill IRS employees as he had even stated so. This was not a guy who was depressed and just wanted to kill himself. He had a specific target and plan and carried it out. His intent was to kill IRS employees. This was a premeditated act just like Hasan premeditated his act and purchased a gun. Both people were likely mentally ill and both had every intent to kill people. You can't have a double standard because this killer was White, Christian and Texan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies