Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who said he had mental illness ?

I think he just cracked under financial pressure.
I have been under financial pressure but I managed not to kill myself or anyone else. This is not the norm. The average person is stronger than this. I have seen the IRS clear out someone's bank account, garnish their wages and put a lien on their property. This person did not crack and is still paying the IRS back. They ended up selling their condo and their car. I'm sure if they owned a plane, the would have sold that too.

I had a friend who committed suicide, she was bipolar. She was laid off and her boyfriend broke up with her right before this happened. She's not the only one I know that got laid off or had someone break up with them but she is the only one I know that committed suicide. I know two other people who attempted, they are also bipolar.

Mentally healthy people don't commit suicide because of financial problems, divorce, death, whatever. If you think the IRS is bad (and we all know what happens when you don't pay taxes so it's not like he was tricked), what do you think of the people who spent ten years in prison and later released because DNA evidence proved their innocence? Things could be worse. I assume he is mentally ill because no one should crack so easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I have been under financial pressure but I managed not to kill myself or anyone else. This is not the norm. The average person is stronger than this. I have seen the IRS clear out someone's bank account, garnish their wages and put a lien on their property. This person did not crack and is still paying the IRS back. They ended up selling their condo and their car. I'm sure if they owned a plane, the would have sold that too.

I had a friend who committed suicide, she was bipolar. She was laid off and her boyfriend broke up with her right before this happened. She's not the only one I know that got laid off or had someone break up with them but she is the only one I know that committed suicide. I know two other people who attempted, they are also bipolar.

Mentally healthy people don't commit suicide because of financial problems, divorce, death, whatever. If you think the IRS is bad (and we all know what happens when you don't pay taxes so it's not like he was tricked), what do you think of the people who spent ten years in prison and later released because DNA evidence proved their innocence? Things could be worse. I assume he is mentally ill because no one should crack so easily.
Ok, so your opinion is that he had a mental illness. I won't argue with your opinion but it's not in any of the MSM articles as fact.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 PM

301 posts, read 282,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Okay so he didn't try to kill them, just wanted them to be homeless and for his daughter to grow up struggling with the thought that her father didn't love her enough to live. That may not be the case, but it's hard for a 12-year-old to understand mental illness.
Mentally ill people are just that, MENTALLY ILL. They don't think like people who are not mentally ill. Sounds like he drove himself crazy over those issues, and CRAZY he was! Normal, mentally healthy people do not deal with problems by "acting out".........especially by acting out in such a violent way. Mentally healthy people do NOT kill themselves and try to take other people with them in a rage of violence. However, I would suggest that the anti-government people who tend to think of the guy as a "hero" or someone fighting big government, might do well to check in with their local psychologist for a review of their mental health!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How do you know that his intention was to kill IRS employees? In his state of mind, he probably intended more to make a statement about the injustice of the IRS. Can't Americans sympathize with him even a little because we agree that american life can be very stressful on a man, espec when he has been harassed by the IRS. The muslims did it b/c of their religious belief and knew what they were doing intentionally. The austin guy was just tired of life, knew he wanted to end it all and go out with a bang. I feel sorry for the guy, but at least he fulfilled his last wish.

"If you're reading this, you're no doubt asking yourself, 'Why did this have to happen?' The simple truth is that it is complicated and has been coming for a long time."

"I saw it written once that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different," the online message says. "I am finally ready to stop this insanity. Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let's try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well."

So it's okay if this man killed people because he claimed he was "harassed" by the IRS but when Hasan killed people due to claiming similar reasons of being "harrassed" it's not okay. When people cited mental illness with regard to Hasan, all of you said, it doesn't matter, he killed people and is a terrorist. Yet when this guy did the same thing, all of you are saying he is mentally ill and you feel sorry for him even though he deliberately ran his plane into a building full of people with the intent to take out as many people as he could. You are just proving my point and the point that all of us were saying a few months ago. This just proves that it's more than just terrorism and violence with regard to the Rightwing backlash against Hasan. It also has to do with Hasan being an Arabic and a Muslim.

Remains of 2 found after Austin plane crash - CNN.com

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-19-2010 at 12:13 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Ok, so your opinion is that he had a mental illness. I won't argue with your opinion but it's not in any of the MSM articles as fact.
Do you rely on the MSM to diagnose such a person??Doesn't our own common sense tell you that there was something terribly, terribly sick with the way that man was thinking, not to mention his actions? There are seriously mentally ill people out there who do really crazy stuff; we are not talking about some genius, mastermind criminal who was coldly SANE and just decided to burn his own house down, drive a plane into a building to kill, injure, or otherwise hurt people and kill himself in the process.That man seemed to be the very definition of mental illness.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
"If you're reading this, you're no doubt asking yourself, 'Why did this have to happen?' The simple truth is that it is complicated and has been coming for a long time."

"I saw it written once that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different," the online message says. "I am finally ready to stop this insanity. Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let's try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well."

So he wanted to end his life by deliberately trying to kill IRS employees because of a grudge he had against them? Okay

Remains of 2 found after Austin plane crash - CNN.com
A "grudge"? And you think people kill themselves in such an enormously violent way in order to satisify a "grudge"? The guy didn't get a "pass." He's DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
Do you rely on the MSM to diagnose such a person??Doesn't our own common sense tell you that there was something terribly, terribly sick with the way that man was thinking, not to mention his actions? There are seriously mentally ill people out there who do really crazy stuff; we are not talking about some genius, mastermind criminal who was coldly SANE and just decided to burn his own house down, drive a plane into a building to kill, injure, or otherwise hurt people and kill himself in the process.That man seemed to be the very definition of mental illness.
And yet some true geniuses had real mental disorders.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:

Nope not a fact and would be a HIPAA violation for them to say he did. On top of that he may never have been diagnosed with one. How do you explain to your twelve year old daughter that her father did not chose to live for her? "Daddy was sick" or "Daddy was tired of the IRS and the hard life we have to live in America"? Like I said, people have issues all the time and somehow survive. This is not what normal, sane people do.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
Mentally ill people are just that, MENTALLY ILL. They don't think like people who are not mentally ill. Sounds like he drove himself crazy over those issues, and CRAZY he was! Normal, mentally healthy people do not deal with problems by "acting out".........especially by acting out in such a violent way. Mentally healthy people do NOT kill themselves and try to take other people with them in a rage of violence. However, I would suggest that the anti-government people who tend to think of the guy as a "hero" or someone fighting big government, might do well to check in with their local psychologist for a review of their mental health!
I totally agree.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And yet some true geniuses had real mental disorders.
Yes, and they were still mental disorders. I didn't say that geniuses could not have mental disorders or be mentally ill. I was referring to someone who was sand, cold and calculating about some violent action; clearly, the man in Texas was not that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies