Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That's a bunch of crap.
Care to back that one up?
Quote:

You can earn a living if you want to.
I know someone that spent a year looking for a job after she graduated from collage. 3 hrs a day spent looking for a year. She had a job during that time but people are looking for some kind of work for that long.
Quote:

Maybe not in your chosen field, or your dream job, but there's work out there if you want it.
OK if you play with the definition of “if you want it” then I'll grant you that. But you have to play fast and lose with that definition. What you have to say is that the one in four workers or would be workers that don't have work don't have it because they don't really want it. You have to ignore that fact that a lot of jobs have left the economy permanently and until those jobs are replaced then the people that were doing them will be out of work. Not individually but that fraction of the population.
Quote:

I(f) we all live within our means, we don't get into trouble.
And if we don't loan money to people that can't pay it back then we don't get into trouble as well. It take two to tango.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
There is work out there but not enough jobs that pay a living wage for everyone. If your are not paid enough to pay for rent and food then it does not matter if you live within your means.
There isn't enough work even for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
My argument is valid.

Who is responsible for your needs?
You are. That is individually. We all are collectively responsible for all our needs taken in aggregate. When I say this I mean that we are currently in trouble with too much debt and saying that it is on one group of people or another that we got here doesn't make it go away. We are all responsible for letting the government run up a huge debt and to commit more money to spend each year than it will ever collect in taxes. We need the income to pay for these commitments and obligations. We need to stop wasting our time doing stuff in the US that pays less than $30 hr.

Quote:
Dude. Get a grip.

We have the fattest poor people in the history of man.

Don't believe the hype.
That is a function of having the cheapest food ever.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
It takes money to start a business. You have to have some area of expertise to do your business you can not just start a business in anything. If a bunch of people start businesses there will not be enough business for all them to succeed.
Here, be inspired...go be part of the solution instead of just complaining about the problem. These people did something.

from-unemployment-startup-cnnmoney: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/113572/from-unemployment-startup-cnnmoney;_ylt=AvOu9mADmGhkTip2OJku.20Jo9IF;_ylu=X3 oDMTFhMmdjODNzBHBvcwM1BHNlYwNmZWF0dXJlZEFydGljbGUE c2xrA2Zyb211bmVtcGxveQ--?mod=career-selfemployment - broken link)

Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What do you think we need?
I have this theory based entirely off of nothing that if we increased the minimum wage to something that IS livable, that we may have less poverty. Less welfare cases. Etc.

I understand everyone's life is different. What one may think is a good wage, someone may think it's crap.

The min wage I believe in NJ is like $7.75. Let's say they slightly doubled it to $15. $15 an hour, IMO, is something that is livable. Especially in a dual income home. There would be no need for welfare, there would be enough for these people to pay their rent (or mortgage), pay their bills, and even have money left over to buy stuff. Buying stuff is a good thing. It stimulates the economy.

If more people have disposable money, then more people will be out there spending money. This way, the companies that DO pay the crappy min wage now..would eventually make up for now doubling the salaries of their workers.

I mean, it makes sense to me. But what about someone else?
Or is this a system to make people feel better about themselves compared to other people?
Well, let me see. Let us suppose I have a business. You make me pay more to my employers so I raise the mandatory minimum wage. What I do? I add that extra pay to the price of the gallon of milk I sell. You now go to the store and complain that the milk is to expensive. The worker I paid more now pays more for milk so what is happening now?

You and the worker now want the minimum wage to go higher so you can pay for exorbitant milk prices and the cycle of life keeps going on and on and repeating.
Oh! and it besides the added increase in minimum wages for the transportation company that takes the milk to your store, the worker that puts it in the shelve for you, the cashier that rings it for you, the owner of the store that has to pay more on minimum wage so he wants to make up for that so he keeps more money for himself to make up for it also. Oh! also, he adds the extra pay for the company that does his taxes. I am sure I missed so many others in the chaing but I think I provide a fair picture. Take care.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Well, let me see. Let us suppose I have a business. You make me pay more to my employers so I raise the mandatory minimum wage. What I do? I add that extra pay to the price of the gallon of milk I sell. You now go to the store and complain that the milk is to expensive. The worker I paid more now pays more for milk so what is happening now?

You and the worker now want the minimum wage to go higher so you can pay for exorbitant milk prices and the cycle of life keeps going on and on and repeating.
Oh! and it besides the added increase in minimum wages for the transportation company that takes the milk to your store, the worker that puts it in the shelve for you, the cashier that rings it for you, the owner of the store that has to pay more on minimum wage so he wants to make up for that so he keeps more money for himself to make up for it also. Oh! also, he adds the extra pay for the company that does his taxes. I am sure I missed so many others in the chaing but I think I provide a fair picture. Take care.
Hmm. If your company was making money by selling milk for $1/gl then you do a 4X on the minimum wage then your company should be able to make as much money on $4/gl. This is because at $1 it was making money on the entire wage structure. But the debt in the nation doesn’t magically do a 4X so we are all better off, and we can put a freeze on government spending when the bump goes through and that will tend to reduce the deficit. As the price of houses goes up then you can get an equity loan and spend some money and the economy will grow.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Here, be inspired...go be part of the solution instead of just complaining about the problem. These people did something.

from-unemployment-startup-cnnmoney: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/113572/from-unemployment-startup-cnnmoney;_ylt=AvOu9mADmGhkTip2OJku.20Jo9IF;_ylu=X3 oDMTFhMmdjODNzBHBvcwM1BHNlYwNmZWF0dXJlZEFydGljbGUE c2xrA2Zyb211bmVtcGxveQ--?mod=career-selfemployment - broken link)

Great, two guys who started a joint venture with $1,500 each, and a guy who started with $30,000.

Now that's certainly within easy reach of everybody.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Great, two guys who started a joint venture with $1,500 each, and a guy who started with $30,000.

Now that's certainly within easy reach of everybody.
Roll your eyes all you want, the point is that you can start from almost nothing ($1,500) and build from there. People seem to want to leap to making tons of money without putting in the work and effort up front.

I used to have a ton of credit card debt from when I was unemployed for 2+ years on and off and had to charge everything. I had a hard time paying it all off even with a well paid full time job once I got back to work, so I started my own VERY small business with about $400 of my own money, and now I generate up to 2x than that every month. I've been able to pay off about 95% of the debt, and I've also been socking away some of the money into my retirement account and in another savings account that I will use to try and start another small business once I have enough in there. Not bad for a $400 investment, and a lot of time and hard work developing my business. You are right though, its much easier to say "ehh, too hard" than it is to actually take a risk and do something to start improving your situation.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Roll your eyes all you want, the point is that you can start from almost nothing ($1,500) and build from there. People seem to want to leap to making tons of money without putting in the work and effort up front.

Where's that thread about how umpteen gazillion people couldn't come up with $1,500 in 30 days?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where's that thread about how umpteen gazillion people couldn't come up with $1,500 in 30 days?
Not sure what thread that would be, but it doesn't change my point, if you want something bad enough, and are willing to be patient, work hard and be creative, 90% or more of us can find a way to improve our situations. It took me 3 years to get where I am with this now, and it might take another 3-5 to get to the next level, but I'm willing to work through and see if I can do it, at worst its a learning experience.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Not sure what thread that would be, but it doesn't change my point, if you want something bad enough, and are willing to be patient, work hard and be creative, 90% or more of us can find a way to improve our situations. It took me 3 years to get where I am with this now, and it might take another 3-5 to get to the next level, but I'm willing to work through and see if I can do it, at worst its a learning experience.
Got any proof of that? Some people can but if you are not intelligent you may not be able to improve their situations. Come back from fantasy land. But I guess you want to find any reason to blame the poor for their situation right? It couldn't possibly be that all the poor can do is a min wage job. It does change your point though because you have yet to show how people without that kind of money can start a business. It takes money to start a business which some people do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies