Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
As I read the article it links the cut to the Senator from Klantucky blocking the Unemployment Extension. Is that what he is saying?
I don't think most in Kentucky belongs to the Klan

Yep - Bunning's hold out would affect other federal programs as well, like federal highway construction, Department of Transportation workers, as well as the 21 percent cuts in Medicare and Tricare to doctors. The bill also includes help for employers to get an exemption from payroll taxes on new workers if they have been unemployed for two months.

Over 1M will loose unemployment benefits at end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't think most in Kentucky belongs to the Klan

Yep - Bunning's hold out would affect other federal programs as well, like federal highway construction, Department of Transportation workers, as well as the 21 percent cuts in Medicare and Tricare to doctors. The bill also includes help for employers to get an exemption from payroll taxes on new workers if they have been unemployed for two months.

Over 1M will loose unemployment benefits at end of the month.
It's going to cost millions to undo the harm this moron is doing.
This could be bigger than when Newt shut down the government

Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
Ummm... sorry, but demos and repubs are THE only political parties avail. All others are just wannabes and will not have the backing.
OK, so dissolve all "party" affiliations, and let people run as individuals. They would have to explain their own ideas and goals, without being bound to a party "platform". On the flipside, voters would have to focus on the individual candidate, rather than blindly checking off "Democrat" or "Republican".

While I am not naive enough to believe this would eliminate corruption and political hypocrisy, it certainly would put responsibility for an informed vote back into the hands of the citizens.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
When government workers start feeling what the general public is feeling, we will be headed in the right direction. Lay offs and wage cuts for the government!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
It's going to cost millions to undo the harm this moron is doing.
mmm. cost millions, or billions..
I'll take the millions thank you..

btw, this "moron" isnt doing any harm.. Its Democrats who ARENT FUNDING the bill being proposed right after Democrats made it LAW to pay as you go..
Quote:
This could be bigger than when Newt shut down the government
Which led to a balanced budget (or so Democrats like to proclaim).. You arent criticizing balanced budgets now, are you?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Never benefit ? Are your parents or grandparents still alive? In the days before Medicare and Social Security, lving beyond age 60 wasn't an issue
because you didn't. In the 1930s less than 5 % of Americans lived beyond age 65 and the average lifespan was 57. What were the largest killers of Americans back then ? The flu and pneumonia followed by disentary. 1930s medical technology was able to treat people with these problems. So why didn't doctors use it in the 1930s? I think we know the answer and it is the same answer today. The problem is Medicare has been too sucessful today 1/3 of all Americans are older than age 60 and a majority of these people will live to age 75 and many will live beyond age 85. Think of all those medical bill for 75 million people in 2020? Today the average Medicare client uses $10,000 of services so that is 750 billion dollars and divided up among those of you still working thats 3500-4000 dollars each year. So what is your FICA tax? Now lets get back to 1930s America, is spending quality time woth you Pop or Mom worth this or is standing over their grave stones an adequate substitute? Are you even human enough to notice their absense?
Spare me the history lesson of 1930's lifespans, mortality rates, and causes of death, but how on Earth is that relevant to anything I've stated in this thread? Medicare is a broken and defunct government program and has been since its inception. The original recipients of medicare never paid into the program and its continued mismanagement has sealed its insolvent fate. It has only survived as long as it has because in the past there were more than enough workers (taxpayers) to cover the retired's benefits. That's no longer the case. Nor has the government prepared for this inevitibility in any way, shape, or form.

Where do you get off suggesting that I wish the death of my parents or grandparents? Is that your logical solution to medicare? I think my grandparents and parents would have been better off investing their own money over the lifespan of their careers than allow the government to extract funds with the promise that benefits will be paid.

Using your logic, shouldn't we push the age at which people are eligible to receive benefits upwards to 75-80 considering the historical comparison between lifespans and eligibility age? Medicare has morphed into some sort of retirement plan that now has millions dependent on it, yet the government has no ability to continue to pay out the benefits it has promised.

Also, your assumption that people are living longer BECAUSE of medicare is so laughable that it doesn't even warrant a rebuke. I suppose people living the worldwide who are also enjoying expanded lifespans also have medicare to thank for that? Yeah, didn't think so.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Apparently, you dont understand that its DEMOCRATS stopping such care.

ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS FUND IT and SUPPORT THEIR OWN LAW..

It's already passed the HOUSE - One hold out in the Senate Bunning - one man filabuster.
Bunning also did not vote on Health Care reform back in December 2009. He is not seeking a third term in the
Senate. He is 77 years old
Does he care about the affects it will have on so many people struggling today. As he so eloquently stated "Tough ****"

Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It's already passed the HOUSE - One hold out in the Senate Bunning - one man filabuster.
Bunning also did not vote on Health Care reform back in December 2009. He is not seeking a third term in the
Senate. He is 77 years old
Does he care about the affects it will have on so many people struggling today. As he so eloquently stated "Tough ****"
Whats his age have to do with anything? There are much older Democrats in Congress than Bunning.

Bunning is doing his job.. Democrats passed paygo, now live with it.. How many of you Democrats stood up and touted paygo as examples as to "democrats are responsible"? Now all of a sudden, just a month later, you want Republicans to violate laws that were just put into place..

Its simple.. FUND THE BILL.. Why arent you whining at Democrats for not funding the bill?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If it took them this long to realize it, then they may be beyond help. This has been a topic for fierce debate for 30 years, so if they didn't know it, and didn't prepare, then they have only themselves to blame. Don't you find it strange that these are the same people who have been preaching personal responsibility all these years, and now it turns out they allowed themselves to become dependent on the government?
You are making a lot of inaccurate assumptions here. Who says nobody realized the problems with medicare? You, yourself just stated it's been a topic of fierce debate for over 30 years, so obviously people "knew" of it. Who said that everyone opposed to medicare has also allowed themselves to become dependent on it and didn't plan for their own futures? I oppose medicare and I'm not getting a single penny from it and doubtfully ever will.

Why can't people point out the problems with the ways medicare is and has been mismanaged without you accusing them of not planning for their futures, allowing themselves to become dependent on the system, and being ignorant in general.

Should people happily continue to pay into a corrupt and defunct system just because that is status quo, all the while knowing full well that it will never benefit them? How stupid is that? Seriously. That is the epitome of dumb.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I suppose people living the worldwide who are also enjoying expanded lifespans also have medicare to thank for that? Yeah, didn't think so.
Nope - they don't have Medicare, they have some type of Universal Health Care.

The United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care system.

Life expectancy in US is an average of 78.14 years, which ranks 47th in highest total life expectancy compared to other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies