Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

This is one of the most assinine reasons to fire someone! I as a blackman do not use it or condone the use of the word, but in proper context it can be very pwerful. This man used it to make a point and in NO WAY was it been used in a demeaning manner. Whoever the COWARD who reported this man should be forced to apologize for wasting everyone's time with this garbage. Blacks as well as whites and everyone in between the racial and color spectrum KNOW when the word is used in such a manner in order to insult them. I'm more offended by the stupidity of the SNITCH who dared not post their name then the actual use of the word!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
And then what? Once it's completely obliterated from the language which word will people get offended by and need to remove next? AND what other ideas and concepts and thoughts will it apply to next?

Respect isn't about words, it's about actions and ideas.

You can ban all the words you like with a hair trigger but unless you actually spend the time having the discussion and understanding that "meaning" and "context' are what you need to be looking at we're all going to be walking around assuming the worst just by saying hello.

Case in point what have you already assumed about me based on what I've said so far in this thread with regard that particular word?
Respect isn't about words? Now that's a laugh. I once dated a f'ing psychotic who in all actions & ideas was a loving individual but if we were fighting, watch out. He said all sorts of nasty crap about me, my friends & even my family. You don't think that's disrespectful? I sure as hell do. It's called emotional abuse & I guess you've never dealt with that, nor have you ever dealt w/maybe a friend, family member, co-worker, total stranger on the street saying hateful things to you. The N word has a history of abuse & negative connotation, it shouldn't be surprising that it is a word that is hateful & should never be used.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Respect isn't about words? Now that's a laugh. I once dated a f'ing psychotic who in all actions & ideas was a loving individual but if we were fighting, watch out. He said all sorts of nasty crap about me, my friends & even my family. You don't think that's disrespectful? I sure as hell do. It's called emotional abuse & I guess you've never dealt with that, nor have you ever dealt w/maybe a friend, family member, co-worker, total stranger on the street saying hateful things to you. The N word has a history of abuse & negative connotation, it shouldn't be surprising that it is a word that is hateful & should never be used.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I will use any word I damn well please. We can't ban words, it's rediculous. By continuing to focus on this and make it a sacred cow we are just creating something way worse than it would be otherwise.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
How about "whitey" and "honky" coming from the other group? I have never allowed those words to bother me unless I knew they were being used in the very way that so many think the N word is often used.

I liked it much better in 1954 when my best buddy and I called each other these names and people backed off knowing there was about to be a fight. Actually my buddy, a black man, and I did this just to excite others. Neither of us ever meant it in a derogatory manner but we did have a lot of fun watching the reactions of both races when we went after each other. We had so many laughs about all that that it wasn't fair for us to get by with it.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
For some reason that word you used in describing your one time boy friend makes me feel worse than the word we are talking about here. My first wife said the word should never be used in her presence and I respected her enough not to do it. My present wife said the same thing and I have always respected her right, also. Go ahead and use it because it doesn't make me respect you any more.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is one of the most assinine reasons to fire someone! I as a blackman do not use it or condone the use of the word, but in proper context it can be very pwerful. This man used it to make a point and in NO WAY was it been used in a demeaning manner. Whoever the COWARD who reported this man should be forced to apologize for wasting everyone's time with this garbage. Blacks as well as whites and everyone in between the racial and color spectrum KNOW when the word is used in such a manner in order to insult them. I'm more offended by the stupidity of the SNITCH who dared not post their name then the actual use of the word!

The snitch probably wasn't even paying attention to the lesson 'till he/she heard the word.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
For some reason that word you used in describing your one time boy friend makes me feel worse than the word we are talking about here. My first wife said the word should never be used in her presence and I respected her enough not to do it. My present wife said the same thing and I have always respected her right, also. Go ahead and use it because it doesn't make me respect you any more.
That's hilarious. You cry about the word psychotic & not the n word? Now that is some seriously screwed up thinking roy. I could care less if you respect me or not, the things I've seen you write on this forum makes me have no respect for you. How about if I introduce you to my psychotic ex-boyfriend & see if you think that word is warranted or not, shall we?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How about "whitey" and "honky" coming from the other group? I have never allowed those words to bother me unless I knew they were being used in the very way that so many think the N word is often used.

I liked it much better in 1954 when my best buddy and I called each other these names and people backed off knowing there was about to be a fight. Actually my buddy, a black man, and I did this just to excite others. Neither of us ever meant it in a derogatory manner but we did have a lot of fun watching the reactions of both races when we went after each other. We had so many laughs about all that that it wasn't fair for us to get by with it.
Ah yes, the good ole days where blacks were relegated to the back of the bus & the woman stayed barefoot & pregnant. Nostalgia.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Thumbs down Not everyone can use the 'N' word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Life isn't Fair. Go to College get a degree in Black Studies and then you have my permission to use it
Duh! I don't need your permission to use it! Black studies in college, you have to be kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies