Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You can one stop shop at Wal-Mart instead of traveling all over town hence, cutting down on the gas burned.
That reminds me of a funny exchange in a previous Walmart hating thread. Somebody was ranting how the economic impact of Walmart coming to a town can be felt as far away as 30 miles. I pointed out that this meant people were traveling 30 miles to buy things that they can now buy right in their home town. Think of the savings in time and money -- two very important things for most of us. That was pretty much the end of that thread as I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wallyworld has destroyed the entrepreneurial spirit of community that USED to be Main Street, U.S.A., and replaced it with a low paying jobs that have little or no health benefits as the new number 1 employer in the U.S..

What the supporters of Wallyworld cannot understand, and what is never mentioned by FOX News, Rush Limbaugh or where ever else they get their "news" is the number of stores closed as a result of this Big Box giant. Main Street U.S.A. lies shuttered while the sheep flock to the lowest prices found at Wal Mart.

Thats the real reason I dont shop there. I refuse to add to their bottom line.

Sears, Penney's and Montgomery Wards were accused of the same things in the early days of the last century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
The REAL reason "people hate Wal-Mart":

The riff-raff of society shops there. It's just that simple.

The end.
God didn't make no junk!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
I LOVE walmart. They keep us all from getting raped and pilliaged when we go grocery shopping each week. I spent $154 in groceries last week and no doubt would have blown nearly twice that at the local mom and pop grocery store dump. Go wallmart!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
I love Walmart. It has everything I need right there an low prices.

Of course, I wouldn't by my clothes and furniture from Walmart, but I think it's great for grocery shopping, etc.

I find your generalization of Walmart shoppers very inaccurate. Why is buying a bookbag, Milk, pencils, paper, chips, carrots, batteries, video game, weedkiller, flowers, wheelbarrow, axe, fishing poll, basketball, spare car keys, movie, radio, diapers, skateboard, lightbulbs, etc. at Walmart so much worse than buying it at another place?

What other store provides all what Walmart provides under one roof?

Without Walmart, I'd have to go to Food-Lion, Radio Shack, Sports Authority, Car Dealership, and home-depot for all the aforementioned items.
You need help.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
I just don't get why everyone thinks Walmart employees get such terrible pay. I will agree that the Health benefits are lousy.

They're not Rocket Scientists, they're Walmart workers. For what they do, I'd say they get a fair wage.

Plus, Assistant managers, CoManagers and Store Managers make very good money. Most of the time, the managers were once cart pushers, stockers and cashiers themselves. Walmart is very good about promoting from within.

I had friends that worked at WalMart in college so thats what I'm basing my info off of.

I've heard that it isn't hard to make $200,000 a year after bonuses as a store manager. Many of whom were pushing carts 10 years ago. Doesn't sound like a bad place to me.

Plus they employ more elderly and handicapped then any company in the U.S.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
The real reason people hate walmart is... walmart is cheap.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post

Plus they employ more elderly and handicapped then any company in the U.S.
Yes they do

I went there to buy paint with my husband and son. We were waiting a long time at the paint department. So, my husband starting groaning "Doesn't anyone work here, no one knows what they are doing here, incompetent place, let's get someone who knows what their doing over here, etc....We told him to calm down and have someone paged. When the employee starting walking over, my husband said to us "Finally, now we're getting somewhere.'"

As the employee came closer, it was apparent he had a very slow walk, almost dragging one leg. My son chuckled, and said "This is the guy who is going to mix our paint?" The employee preceded to mix our paint. It took quite a while. It seemed very trying for him to do so.

During our wait, he told us about his brain surgery. It was a very touching story.

When we left, my husband told my son how he thought it was wonderful that Walmart hired handicapped people to work there. My husband said, Geez, it's not like they hired him to work in Sporting Goods.

Guess where he had been paged from? Sporting Goods

The Paint came out perfectly, by the way

Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Good god, Wal-Mart is a train wreck and so are the people who shop there. Their business practices are appalling.

How the hell can some of you defend them? Just because you save a few bucks? If Al Qaeda opened a store with prices lower than Wal-Mart, would you shop there? Some of you probably would.

Anyway, their prices are often not any better than their competitors.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-18-2010 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Wow I was unaware people hate Wal Mart. What were their sales last year.......

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Good god, Wal-Mart is a train wreck and so are the people who shop there. Their business practices are appalling.
I have shopped Walmart for many years. And, in all honesty, have NEVER found them to be a "train wreck" as you describe.

Could you possibly expound on your ill feelings towards WalMart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies