Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Somewhere there is a Nordstrom shopper saying the exact same things about Target and you.
Back in 1999 I was working for Dillards in the Dallas/Fort Worth area doing elevator/escalator repair. There were three women talking near where we were working. One of the three walked away. After she left, one of the two ladies said to the other lady,..."You shouldn't talk to her. She shops at JC Pennys." My co-worker overheard this and exclaimed loudly, "whooo, she must be RICH!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,328,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Target sells the same crap Walmart does, just like before walmart there was KMART!!!
I think walmart is an example of china's cheap labor and that is why everything is "cheap".
Sure, it is all made in China at the end of the day but they are not the same quality. Just look at the linen specs next time you're at Walmart and you see Walmart really does get that lowest price by lower quality. The thread count will be rock bottom, the same with their clothes, they'll sell TVs with fewer features because they want to beat the last penny out of the suppliers so they'll eliminate the extra HDMI ports, etc.. Most of their clothes aren't pre-shrunk because they've beaten the supplier for the last half penny and he has to cut every corner possible to make money.

Target and other big box discounters like Costco simply don't do that. Sure, they still try to negotiate low prices with suppliers but they have higher quality standards (higher thread count requirements for clothing and linens, extra features like spare spare HDMI ports on TVs, clothes are pre-shrunk, etc...) so you end up buying a higher quality and better product while only paying about 5%-8% more. Personally, I'd rather go for the better quality product then the slightly cheaper but lower quality product. You're free to buy junk if you want but I voted with my purchasing dollars with the stores I think offer a better price to quality value and that doesn't make me or anyone else "a liberal elitist" as some of the knuckle draggers in this thread have claimed. It makes me a smart consumer who knows what he values.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
People don't like WalMart because they either watch one sided videos online or their parents are still footing their bills.
Or maybe we went out and did what it took to qualify ourselves for high paying jobs and have made a rational decision about what we want and the types of businesses we want to support. I can afford to shop else where and I do it because I don't like the low quality stuff they sell nor do I like their business practices; it's my money and I'm still free to spend it as I please. You're free to continue posting hasty generalizations and other logical fallacies if you like but it's likely few people will take your posts seriously if you do.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Somewhere there is a Nordstrom shopper saying the exact same things about Target and you.
I find most of the Nordie's shoppers are actually pretty down to earth people who have just done well in life. Sure, some of them are snobs but most of them are upper middle class people who just want to buy something really nice of very high quality. If Nordies had to relay only on the truly rich most of their stores would fold. Personally, I like to go there for my dress shoes as they have an outstanding selection, carry even the rarest sizes and options, plus their individual service just can't be beat. I do wait for their twice yearly sale normally though because I hate over paying when I can get the exact same item and service for 30% less.

I also like their suit selection and the on staff tailors but the truth is I can get the exact same suit and tailoring in LA's fashion district for much less even though the decor isn't as nice. Also I go over seas for business at least twice a year so I'll usually get my custom made suits done in China or Korea instead of in the US.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM

720 posts, read 707,136 times
Why I hate Walmart.
1. Long lines and no cashiers on duty. I absolutely hate that.
2. Discontinuing products after selling them for years.
3. Too many Imports.
4. Trying to be politically correct.
5. destroying small business

Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
I've both worked and shopped there. I don't have any problems with them.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times
Oerdin, my wife and I sleep on 350 thread count sateen sheets we purchased at Walmart. I agree with you on SOME clothing sold at Walmart but if you actually shopped there you would know that there are name brand clothing available depending on the type of clothing you're buying like jeans and underware for example. There are many things I don't like about Walmart but I don't hate Walmart. By choice, for hardware and lawn and garden supplies I go to Lowes. For meat and produce and some groceries we buy from a local supermarket. For electronics (stereo, computer, software) we go to Best Buy. For just about everything else we go to walmart.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,931,194 times
I sleep on 600 count...not available at Wally-World. Between 8-11pm is the best time to pick up easy dates at Wal-Mart.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Or maybe we went out and did what it took to qualify ourselves for high paying jobs and have made a rational decision about what we want and the types of businesses we want to support. I can afford to shop else where and I do it because I don't like the low quality stuff they sell nor do I like their business practices; it's my money and I'm still free to spend it as I please. You're free to continue posting hasty generalizations and other logical fallacies if you like but it's likely few people will take your posts seriously if you do.
This is hilarious. The whole premise of this thread is to make disgusting, judgmental, classist-elitist generalizations about the kind of people who shop at Walmart, and yet it's GloryB's generalization you choose to chastize. You can disguise your judgmental classism as "my success allows me to shop elsewhere" but your selective criticism of the generalizations posted here suggests you're on board with the premise of the original post.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I sleep on 600 count...not available at Wally-World. Between 8-11pm is the best time to pick up easy dates at Wal-Mart.
Those are the kind that come pitted?

I don't need sheets to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies