Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It's a nation with lots of Christians and that's a good thing. Lots of people dont like it and like to coddle muzzies but there's a reason we're a first world nation and they live in sand.
LOL. As if being Christian has anything to do with being a "first world" nation. Ever heard of Latin America? Or sub-Saharan Africa? They are majority Christian, and many countries in those areas are considered third world, and in fact include some of of the most impoverished countries in the world. Conversely, ever heard of the UAE? Or Japan? Not Christian, highly developed.

America is a secular nation that has a Christian majority. Christians and non-Christians alike should respect the fact that there is the Establishment Clause, because it protects their right to believe in what they choose to believe.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
There's nothing there
Please, allow me to help.

Religious Affiliation of U.S. Founding Fathers
=================================
Episcopalian/Anglican ...................54.7%
Presbyterian ..............................18.6%
Congregationalist .......................16.8%
Quaker...................................... 4.3%
Dutch Reformed/German Reformed ..3.7%
Lutheran ....................................3.1%
Catholic .....................................1.9%
Huguenot................................... 1.9%
Unitarian ....................................1.9%
Methodist.................................. 1.2%
Calvinist ....................................0.6%

Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahw View Post
Since around 80% of Americans are Christians and this nation have the world's largest Christian population by number, is it fair for the government to declare the United States as a Christian country with no specific denomination/sect?
The government favor Christians and Christianity in many ways around anyway.
I would say 80% is far too high an estimate. I would say the real number of actual believing Christians is closer to 65%.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The 'god' of Islam? No, certainly not. He is nothing but an invention of guy names Mohammed.

Yes, certainly, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all go back to Abraham and all three have for hundreds of years been acknowledged as the "three great (or Abrahamic) religions

Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM

33,574 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its a christian nation but we are not acting like it.
most aggressive nation on the planet.
highest prison population on earth.
what is scary is this is interpreted by the incarcerated as a discrimination issue, not a behavior issue or religious backsliding issue at all.
the seculars kicked God out of their lives and are making sure the Bible or the word of God does not appear anywhere. Of course it is a nation going backward.. primitive with no refinement.

TV is the reflection of the United States. Greed, pleasure, materialism , sex and bad language. Even the ten commandments say to not take the Lords Name in Vain , It is now cool to post or say OMG or Oh My God today. That is taking the Lords name in vain. Secularism has trained the people to disrespect anything good today and make every thing bad as cool..

In the last days, it is written ... good is bad and bad is good. The people of this nation are not acting very Christian.

Last edited by Taratova; 07-08-2012 at 04:29 PM..

1,327 posts, read 3,182,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
It is a secular nation that fights and sometimes dies to protect your right to be a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic atheist or any one of thousands of other religions even ones you invent yourself.
How does America's warmongering protect my freedom?

In fact, one of the earlier definitions of Pagan, or maybe infidel I forget, was "anybody who isn't a Jew, Christian, or Muslim" In the Koran the phrase "people of the Book" refers to all three

Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I t doesn't matter.

They did NOT start a RELIGION, they formed a country.

They were all WHITE, too....so you folks who claim this is a "christian" country because christians started it are also claiming it's only for whites.....that's very christian but quite disgusting.

The founders were all MALE , too, so you "christian" folks are also claiming this country is for males only....that's very chrsitian but very disgusting also....

They all wore wigs, too, ....so....???

Hey, just following your "christian " excuse for logic....

Oh, BTW, many had slaves, many screwed their slaves, so as good "christians" I'm sure you approve and want slavery brought back, right?
Sorry, I forgot to ask all you white male wig wearing slave raping christians why you made such a mess of this country???

Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
I voted secular but I don't care at the end of the day if we call it Christian.

[it's just a label like Coke or Pepsi]

Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It's a nation with lots of Christians and that's a good thing. Lots of people dont like it and like to coddle muzzies but there's a reason we're a first world nation and they live in sand.
Actually we're a New World nation, as opposed to the Old World
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies