Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

I've seen videos from that kid before. He has a very Moore-esque style of reporting.

Someone in that video mentioned something about him being a journalism student. With his baiting questions and one-sided editing techniques, I'm predicting that he'll have a long career at MSNBC (or he'll be with them for as long as they're in business, anyway).

It's easy to rattle just about anybody, especially if they're just average people that aren't used to having a camera and microphone in their face. Most people aren't in top form when they're put on the spot like that - it's a different kind of pressure than what they might be used to in other aspects of their lives. This kid knows that, and exploits it to further his own political agenda - not very respectable behavior for a journalism student.

All in all, I didn't see much in the video that was very damning. He did manage to find a couple of nitwits, but the majority of people he interviewed were just regular people that were put on the spot. I literally laughed out loud when he asked people what specific sections of the bill they were opposed to - as if he's read it himself...

If you guys are going to try and use this video to make some kind of point about how dumb or uninformed the people that are against this bill (that would be the majority of Americans, by the way) are, then I'd have to say that it says much more about you then it does about them.

I'll be in Searchlight on Saturday, doing my own interviews. I challenge ANY of you to come and let me put YOU on the spot, and publish the resulting footage - after I do some editing of my own, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:01 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It is starting to sound like what tea partiers have in common is violent crime.

First brick-throwing at five different political offices. Spitting at elected officials. Now a tea party member published the home address of what he thought was a congressman, turns out it was someone else--and nearly blew them up by cutting the gas line, along with his four young children.

It's one thing to shout and protest. But this kind of unrestrained and unchecked violence against innocent bystanders who have nothing to do with the political debate is unamerican.

I would like to not paint all tea partiers with the same brush stroke, but I have not yet seen any member condemn these acts of violence, so I can only presume they condone them.
Probably should have call Bill Ayers - he could have told them how to build a proper bomb.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well the FACTS are we are sick of being taxed to death. Now Durbin says this bill will control the people. LOL.. Well I guess some of us do need control.
The tea party people don't speak for me.
Quote:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
This was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, as published in Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin (1818).

Freedom and liberty come at a price and part of that price is to allow stupid people to do stupid things such as willingly go without health insurance.

The current bill does something no other law has ever required and that is that I purchase a product sold by a private company or face government sanctions and fines. This is just plain wrong, it is my money, I earned it and I should be the only one to determine how I will spend it. If I want to **** it away on lotto tickets that should be my option.

If I don't want to buy private health insurance that should be my decision and my decision alone to make. It's stupid not to but that's my decision to make.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

948 posts, read 894,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
They sound like half the posters here. Nothing but talking points and no facts.
So give us some Mr. Peabody.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
So give us some Mr. Peabody.
Mr. Peabody? Well that's fresh.

According to the latest Quinnipiac poll:

77% voted for John McCain in 2008

88% are white

72% have a favorable opinion of Sarah Palin

4% of voters making more than $250,000 per year consider themselves part of the Tea Party movement, while percentages among all other age and income groups are close to the 13 percent overall Tea Party affiliation.

"The Tea Party movement is mostly made up of people who consider themselves Republicans," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "They are less educated but more interested in politics than the average Joe and Jane Six-Pack and are not in a traditional sense swing voters."

National (US) Poll * March 24, 2010 * Tea Party Could Hurt GOP In Co - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut

Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM

948 posts, read 894,706 times
Ain't it? Brings back memories huh?

First off, don't pay attention to polls. To you believe the media any longer? Don't buy the polls. They're all skewed one way or another. Tea party members are mostly normal people of both political persuasions that know they're being screwed without being kissed first. Not Republicans, not Conservatives.

I know all the wacko, lefty libs will scream that because the Tea party is a threat but I say good. You see what the liberal movement has gotten us. Maybe you agree with it. I don't. In fact, in my estimation more than 70% don't. But maybe I'm optimistic because I'd like to think at least 70% of the populace still have some common sense left.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
You mean the lack of restraint like the liberal fruitcake who threw things at Palin from a second story balcony, and all the liberal nuts on this board thought it was great?
First of all, there is a difference between this incident and the cut gas line because:

#1: The Palin incident was actually aimed at the politician, not other people who happened to look like her or share her last name.

#2: No one posted inciting and inflammatory statements encouraging anyone to throw things at Palin

#3: I condemn anyone behaving in such a way against a politician--so there, this is at least one person who does not condone such actions regardless of political ideology. I didn't support it at the time and I don't support that person's actions now. I see no one, not a tea partier, not even a republican, speaking out against these kinds of actions.

THAT is what makes the difference.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Wow, those people are way over the hill and off into lala land. One simple thing speaks the most.

"What part of this bill says x (or you don't like)"

"I don't know, I haven't read any of it."

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
What am I missing here? How is this a positive thing?
For one you are misquoting the fees, the fee will be the greater of $695 or 2.5% of income. The fees will be fairly close to the cost of health insurance, as those that would just pay $695/year would be able to get subsidies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Also, if you read the news, hundreds of business are going to lay off employees. There are tons of restaurants and business with 60 or 70 people who are laying them off to get under 50 employees.
This is clearly a fabrication, the fees for businesses will not exist for another 4 years. Furthermore, the implementation of the fees will not be started until the insurance-exchanges are set-up and these exchanges will greatly simplify the process of getting small business health insurance (it will also lower the costs).

How can a business know its going to lay off employees in 4 years before it even knows the relevant cost structure? Simple...it can't. This is all made up.

If a business could be run by 50 people instead of 60 or 70 then the business would already be running on 50 people.

The reason most small business don't offer health insurance is because it can be rather expensive as the risk pool is so small. Large business does not have this problem. The insurance-exchanges will solve this problem by creating a big pool all small businesses to purchase plans from, so the risk pool will go from 50 people to millions.

Anyhow, the tea bagger movement is just silly.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Now a tea party member published the home address of what he thought was a congressman, turns out it was someone else--and nearly blew them up by cutting the gas line, along with his four young children.
Oh for gods sake post factual information if you can.

Cutting a gas line outside a home does NOT "nearly blow them up".. Its almost impossible to blowup a home this way, (although I assume that was the criminals intent).. In order for the line to "blow up", the fire would need to make its way up the gas pipe which is impossible because of a lack of oxygen.. If fire could go up through a pipe, your home would blow up everytime a neighbors house caught fire..

This is what happens when you light a fire on a gas well

YouTube - Natural Gas Fire (Slow Burn)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies