Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Your taxes have not increased during the Obama administration.
Obama JUST passed the largest tax increase in history yesterday when he signed the healthcare bill. How can you possibly say this and be serious about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And we can find numerous liberals here who support the bill but have no clue in it...
But they're not the ones out tea bagging (this thread is about them... stick to it).

Quote:
Obama JUST passed the largest tax increase in history yesterday when he signed the healthcare bill. How can you possibly say this and be serious about it?
And I don't mind paying more taxes if it comes down to it. Heck, you've not worried about paying higher premiums for health care insurance, now have you? I do mind begging to China and Japan to pay for programs while we cut taxes (for the wealthiest)... see MMA, 2003. How big was that bill, again?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But they're not the ones out tea bagging (this thread is about them... stick to it).
The video displays individuals who dont know whats in the bill. I'm still on topic..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The only thing the tea party people have in common with each other, is they are upset about the out of control spending by the federal government, and upset about the state of the economy and unemployment, and they blame the federal government for causing these things to happen, or exacerbating them.

There is no common ideology, no specific political party affiliation, race or gender that draws these people together, just a distrust for government, and a collective cry to stop ruining our country.

So trying to paint the tea party people with a broad brush is useless.
They should have spoken up nine years ago.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Mr. Peabody? Well that's fresh.

According to the latest Quinnipiac poll:

77% voted for John McCain in 2008

88% are white

72% have a favorable opinion of Sarah Palin

4% of voters making more than $250,000 per year consider themselves part of the Tea Party movement, while percentages among all other age and income groups are close to the 13 percent overall Tea Party affiliation.

"The Tea Party movement is mostly made up of people who consider themselves Republicans," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "They are less educated but more interested in politics than the average Joe and Jane Six-Pack and are not in a traditional sense swing voters."

National (US) Poll * March 24, 2010 * Tea Party Could Hurt GOP In Co - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut
That right there is the deal breaker.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
The video displays individuals who dont know whats in the bill.
Yep. But that doesn't stop them screaming their lungs out as if they knew it all.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM

839 posts, read 982,370 times
What bothers me generally is that people in this country (on both sides of the political spectrum) seem more and more willing to develop incredibly strong, stubborn opinions about political issues and legislation based on nothing more than talking points and nasty, typically misleading rhetoric offered by a few ideologues.

In terms of the current healthcare bill, there is a scary number of radical right-wingers who are currently threatening armed revolution, who are threatening the lives of Congressmen and their families and who are damaging property belonging to the Democratic Party... These people are becoming violent, yet they are doing so without actually knowing what they are talking about. I'm not saying that its not legitimate to be opposed to the healthcare legislation, that it's not legitimate to disagree with it. But to be calling for revolution and threatening lives over it is obscene, especially since it's apparent that a lot of these individuals actually don't have any clue what the bill does. A lot of the things being attributed to the bill by these people who apparently are willing to harm others aren't actually in the bill! Yet, these people are willing to threaten violence BEFORE checking to actually understand what is in the bill...

Now, I recognize that my example is picking on radical conservatives. This is simply because the current issues and political configuration of the country exacerbates the visibility of the radical-right. The radical-left has done bad things, too, their just not visible right now because Democrats are in power.

Essentially, my problem is that people develop opinions and hold them so strongly that they are willing to harm others without actually knowing anything about the thing they have opinions on.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The only thing the tea party people have in common with each other, is they are upset about the out of control spending by the federal government, and upset about the state of the economy and unemployment, and they blame the federal government for causing these things to happen, or exacerbating them.

There is no common ideology, no specific political party affiliation, race or gender that draws these people together, just a distrust for government, and a collective cry to stop ruining our country.

So trying to paint the tea party people with a broad brush is useless.
Yeah, I mean they're totally bipartisan. They're only swooning over people like Scott Brown (Republican) Sarah Palin (Republican) and Glenn Beck (Only slightly to the left of Genghis Khan) while only rising to prominence after the election of a Democrat POTUS.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

I won't pay them for years, and then they'll have to pay for all my medical treatment, and then I won't pay them again. This will be totally legal under the new laws. I'll just pay like a month or two of premiums and the insurance company can pay for my major surgeries and hospital stay, and I'll cancel again. This is genius! Free enterprise at it's greatest!

How will insurance companies stay in business?
Hmm...I wonder if this will be legal.

If not it is an interesting scenario, and hopefully the Government will compile many example scenarios like the one you've presented to prevent and pursue fraud which could cost the taxpayers money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Also, if you read the news, hundreds of business are going to lay off employees. There are tons of restaurants and business with 60 or 70 people who are laying them off to get under 50 employees. Otherwise they have to buy health insurance for all of their employees. One company said that they have so many employees it is going to cost $100 million to insure everyone (it's a big company) so they are going to have MASSIVE lay offs to help save the $100 million that they now have to pay.

This is going to lead to tens of thousands of lost jobs. Companies that are barely scraping buy have a huge new expense. Every company in the country with over 50 employees must provide insurance.
Interesting.
Can you please provide us a link to the news source.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Anyone here live through the civil rights era, the Vietnam era?
Protest and scary stuff.
We will get through this also. People just need to speak their mind. That is what we are.
Anyway, it is a done deal no matter if you like or not.
Life is full of backroom deals and they are aplenty here.
What I like is that so many thought they were getting free health care but now time to pay the bill....
Forget seeing a doc, you will be seeing NP (and they do a great job mind you) and your family members will be wiping up the doodoo cause there will not be nurses to do your basic cares anymore. The good thing is that the nurses that hang in there will be there for the dedication to the profession again. The pay will not be there anymore.
Brave new world that the unfortunate young will have to pay for. Just my two and one-half cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies