Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
[It's kinda like if my house burned down yesterday, and today I call for fire insurance and then they have to fix my house.
I'm tired of this worn-out analogy. Who started this one? Rush? Sean? Glenn?

<snip>

Quote:
Also, if you read the news, hundreds of business are going to lay off employees. There are tons of restaurants and business with 60 or 70 people who are laying them off to get under 50 employees. Otherwise they have to buy health insurance for all of their employees. One company said that they have so many employees it is going to cost $100 million to insure everyone (it's a big company) so they are going to have MASSIVE lay offs to help save the $100 million that they now have to pay.

This is going to lead to tens of thousands of lost jobs. Companies that are barely scraping buy have a huge new expense. Every company in the country with over 50 employees must provide insurance.
Oh, baloney. Conservatives predict that every time the minimum wage goes up. Doesn't happen. They predicted it with the passage of the FMLA. Didn't happen.

Quote:
Even if someone has insurance. Case in point, my husband is covered by my insurance and has declined insurance from his employers in the past in exchange for a better pay rate. Now they will be forced to buy him insurance.
1. Not every employer works that way. Most just pay you the same if you are working enough hours to qualify for benefits.

2. Unless you guys are getting ins. from your employer, you are being very foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh for gods sake post factual information if you can.

Cutting a gas line outside a home does NOT "nearly blow them up".. Its almost impossible to blowup a home this way, (although I assume that was the criminals intent).. In order for the line to "blow up", the fire would need to make its way up the gas pipe which is impossible because of a lack of oxygen.. If fire could go up through a pipe, your home would blow up everytime a neighbors house caught fire..

This is what happens when you light a fire on a gas well
So the fact that it wouldn't cause an explosion makes trespassing on someone else's property and committing vandalism OK? And you guys are worked up about the Tea Party bus in Nevada getting egged? Gimme a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Anyone here live through the civil rights era, the Vietnam era?
Protest and scary stuff.
We will get through this also. People just need to speak their mind. That is what we are.
Anyway, it is a done deal no matter if you like or not.
Life is full of backroom deals and they are aplenty here.
What I like is that so many thought they were getting free health care but now time to pay the bill....
Forget seeing a doc, you will be seeing NP (and they do a great job mind you) and your family members will be wiping up the doodoo cause there will not be nurses to do your basic cares anymore. The good thing is that the nurses that hang in there will be there for the dedication to the profession again. The pay will not be there anymore.
Brave new world that the unfortunate young will have to pay for. Just my two and one-half cents worth.
Yeah, nurses are really raking it in now. Why I'd do it for half the pay, my salary is so high. . . NOT! Don't be rididulous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So the fact that it wouldn't cause an explosion makes trespassing on someone else's property and committing vandalism OK? And you guys are worked up about the Tea Party bus in Nevada getting egged? Gimme a break!
Exactly.

Also, had this been a Repub whose propane was messed with, they would be coming unglued and likely telling us how the trespassers would have been lucky to escape with their lives.

But yeah, the egging a LEASED bus is a big deal.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh for gods sake post factual information if you can.

Cutting a gas line outside a home does NOT "nearly blow them up".. Its almost impossible to blowup a home this way, (although I assume that was the criminals intent).. In order for the line to "blow up", the fire would need to make its way up the gas pipe which is impossible because of a lack of oxygen.. If fire could go up through a pipe, your home would blow up everytime a neighbors house caught fire..
You are just flat wrong on this.

House explosion rattles Edina: 'Everything shook' | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/85086522.html - broken link)

Quote:
Becca Virden, a spokeswoman for CenterPoint Energy, said that the house exploded after a contractor for a cable company severed an underground natural gas main nearby

Old 03-28-2010, 07:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
For one you are misquoting the fees, the fee will be the greater of $695 or 2.5% of income. The fees will be fairly close to the cost of health insurance, as those that would just pay $695/year would be able to get subsidies.

This is clearly a fabrication, the fees for businesses will not exist for another 4 years. Furthermore, the implementation of the fees will not be started until the insurance-exchanges are set-up and these exchanges will greatly simplify the process of getting small business health insurance (it will also lower the costs).

How can a business know its going to lay off employees in 4 years before it even knows the relevant cost structure? Simple...it can't. This is all made up.

If a business could be run by 50 people instead of 60 or 70 then the business would already be running on 50 people.

The reason most small business don't offer health insurance is because it can be rather expensive as the risk pool is so small. Large business does not have this problem. The insurance-exchanges will solve this problem by creating a big pool all small businesses to purchase plans from, so the risk pool will go from 50 people to millions.

Anyhow, the tea bagger movement is just silly.
There is no Bill, there is the Law, further discussion is a waste of breath

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Your taxes have not increased during the Obama administration.
Mine have

Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There is no Bill, there is the Law, further discussion is a waste of breath
Why is discussing health care issues a waste of breath?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I realize that you're a totally lost cause, and that you think everybody involved in the movement is a racist, but I'll try to give you some insight into what we're about. Whether or not you choose to read the link below and release that false perception you have is up to you.

core values
Yeah I bet that little paper was written on January 21st 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies