Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,457,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Of course I expect a response for the other side or why bother posting. I like hearing the other side of an opinion. Your view may be that something is "instructing" when in fact it's just another opinion and calling it "instructing is just another tool to try and discredit someone's opinion you don't agree with which is the norm from the left.
The type of "instructing" to which I refer is a method of communicating that is voicing an opinion in such as way as to discourage civil discourse. There is no back-and-forth that is desired by the "instructor" and when contrary opinions are put forth the tone of the comments from the "instructor" becomes ever more belligerent. I think you understand what I'm describing and have encountered these types frequently.

Quote:
I like hearing the other side of an opinion.
Are you certain about this statement? I ask because you then follow with:

Quote:
. . . which is the norm from the left.
All of us from "the left," which I suppose is anyone who doesn't buy into to your theories, can, and often do, say exactly the same about "the right." So such a statement is fruitless and does not beg for civil discourse but confrontation instead. If you're interested in "hearing the other side of an opinion" as you wrote, then why approach in such a posture?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I suspect left wingers are more prone to crying to a moderator to remove a post if they don't like what you say.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I suspect left wingers are more prone to crying to a moderator to remove a post if they don't like what you say.
Come on. Has it really come down to this?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Do you also get lost when liberals called terrorist and suicide bombers freedom fighters?
heh
Getting lost is not the same thing as having someone lose you.
I get the feeling that you are on a mission, citigirl, and that's fine.
I am no bleeding heart, and I certainly agree with trying to see all sides of an issue, I just don't think that video (what I saw of it) especially promotes independent thought.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
"I suspect [right] wingers are more prone to crying to a moderator to remove a post if they don't like what you say."

Do either of us—should I make such a useless statement in earnest—have any way of substantiating the suspicion?

Don’t statements such as this and the opinions of those who do not genuinely want to engage in discussions belong at places such as Free Republic and whatever counter-group there is for the “other” side?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
Quote:
Not only do I show them the video, I give the the web address so they can pass it around to their friends. Anytime someone or a group attacks others by calling them names if someone wants to consider all opinions is hiding something, like the truth.

Yesterday's education; When I was in school we were taught both creation and evolution. We, even as children, were taught all sides of an opinion and our teachers did not force their opinion on us. I loved learning about both and felt empowered to make my own decisions about what I decided made sense to me. It created curiosty to seek more information. The liberals are terrified of people that look for the facts, so if they even question, they are called names to shut them up or try to make them feel they are haters.

We got your number.
I find you very blind as to what is going on in today's world.

Why should schools teach about creation when there is little scientific facts to back it up? What about the kids who don't believe in God (yes, they exist) and what about the parents who don't take their kids to church (yes, they exist too)? It most definitely isn't the school's right to impose any religious beliefs on their students, unless, of course, it's a private Catholic or other religious institution. Public schools have the job to teach kids Math, Science, Writing, Reading and social skills. Teaching and practicing religion is the job of your local church.

You say that liberals are terrified of people who look for facts, but what facts are you talking about? The facts about evolution stare you in the face, but you choose to blindly ignore them. Are you talking about facts when it comes to religion? Because facts and religion cannot even be grouped in the same sentence. That's why it's called "belief."

I think you're doing something very wrong if you're showing young kids that video. You say you want them to make up their own mind, but let them do it without you imposing YOUR beliefs on THEM. That's called brainwashing and if you have kids, I feel very, very bad for them. The same goes the other way around; if a liberal was showing random teenagers videos on why republicans are the roots of all evil, that would be damaging.

And you can't attack me and call me a liberal. I'm the moderate who laughs at the excessiveness of both sides, and how in their arguments, they end up accusing each other of the same things. You can only go so far to the right before you hit left, and vice versa.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
You can only go so far to the right before you hit left, and vice versa.
Well said! And please allow me to add that the Left is not always right and the Right is not always wrong.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
sil is the epitome of one who doesn't understand policy and simply pushes empty rhetoric from entertainer liars on the right like Rush, Hannity and O'Reilly. They dumb down America and push that thought is bad (evil elitists don't ya know) and education in general is not good. Science is the latest liberal conspiracy.
I think her name is Cil, and she is a moderator. Best not to attack one. .

Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I think her name is Cil, and she is a moderator. Best not to attack one. .
I wondered about that, too. I think it might be a mistaken reference; another poster was probably the intended recipient of the comments.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Pretty likely from context that 'Sil' was meant to refer to Silas, not Cil...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies