Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

I suspect pro-abortion women who want an abortion on demand will simply travel outside of Nebraska to get that if this measure passes. They don't have to go far, only to Kansas, to get a partial birth abortion. Why all the fuss from the pro-abortionists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect pro-abortion women who want an abortion on demand will simply travel outside of Nebraska to get that if this measure passes. They don't have to go far, only to Kansas, to get a partial birth abortion. Why all the fuss from the pro-abortionists?
Because we want pro freedom and pro choice in ALL states unlike the anti American "prolife" hypocritical liars.

"Christian" Republicans "pro life" mantra: "Pro life" til you are born. After that, **** you.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Because we want pro freedom and pro choice in ALL states unlike the anti American "prolife" hypocritical liars.

"Christian" Republicans "pro life" mantra: "Pro life" til you are born. After that, **** you.
Isn't that up to the states to decide for themselves? Don't like it, don't move to Nebraska. Move to Kansas where you can still ignore the choice of a developing fetus in the womb to move away from pain in attempt to live, where you can get abortion on demand at the late Dr. Tiller's office.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Isn't that up to the states to decide for themselves? Don't like it, don't move to Nebraska. Move to Kansas where you can still ignore the choice of a developing fetus in the womb to move away from pain in attempt to live, where you can get abortion on demand at the late Dr. Tiller's office.
No. It is not up to the state to decide if freedom is allowed at all. EVERY state should allow it. Sorry you disagree. Maybe you and your "prolifers" (Anti Freedom people) can move.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I'm pro life....I don't believe in killing unless it's to defend my family, so why would I want to do what you beleive should be done to other living beings?

I won't stoop to that level

LOL..."Wah wah wah! Cry all you want" ...this statement proves my point about the maturity level and capability of understanding that pro choice people relate to. You don't see me dismissing your love of killing babies by dismissing it with immaturity like what you posted.
I'd say you not only did stoop to that level, you sunk below it

Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
so a poor woman who has no car or way to get to another state finds her self in medical need of a late term abortion should she have have a fundraiser to get enough money to travel to another state on a bus or would you prefer she hitch hiked? seems rather punitive

Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, many women do know relatively early that they're pregnant, but assuming that "most" know by week five (you're talking the period being one week late? Week five LMP?), is by no means solid...I'm sorry. This may be even more true of teenagers, who often have a few years of irregularity before settling into an every-28-days-or-thereabouts routine (or however many days turn out to be normal for them--or more notably, whatever *range*...which makes an exact "week five" knowledge scenario even less likely for the majority).

Some women have symptoms; some don't. Some women spot at "period time" and think that's their period (I spotted at that time with my second, but we had been "trying" so I tested anyway). As for morning sickness and other symptoms, they may not necessarily start until somewhere between weeks seven and nine.

Once the woman discovers that she is in fact pregnant, it's not like she leaves the doctor's office for an abortion clinic which ushers her right in. Or I don't believe it's like that. Most women want to think at least a few days, if not a week or two, about this decision, which is a HUGE one. You seem to be envisioning a world of extraordinarily "regular" (menstrual cycle-wise) women automatically running for an HPT at Day 29 when the period hasn't yet shown up, having the test be correct, managing to get a doctor's appointment for that very day to confirm the pregnancy with a blood test, having the blood tests miraculously come in within hours instead of a couple of days, then saying, "Oh, I guess I need an abortion, then" and running to some clinic or other and just going for it, all in a day's work. I don't think this is the most common scenario, sorry.

That aside, you said "...That leave (sic) more than 10 weeks to 'make up her mind'." Right, which is why the vast, overwhelming majority of abortions DO happen before this time.

The whole idea of this huge number of late-term abortions happening is a complete myth.

Here's a chart I posted previously:

(From the Guttmacher Institute.)

It is not a myth. Taking your own stats from this website : 1.21 million abortions were performed in the United States in 2005. Over 13,000 of those were after 21 weeks and 42,000 after 16 weeks. Sounds like a lot to me.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanolvera View Post
It is not a myth. Taking your own stats from this website : 1.21 million abortions were performed in the United States in 2005. Over 13,000 of those were after 21 weeks and 42,000 after 16 weeks. Sounds like a lot to me.
It is one percent over the age of 20 weeks. From the way anti-choicers typically state things, it's made to sound like millions of women each year casually decide at six months pregnancy to abort, based on how "uncaring" they are...and that is just NOT true...period. The huge, overwhelming majority of women at least attempt to receive the procedure much sooner...way, way before viability. And certainly before anyone's definition (or theory) so far of the threshold where a fetus can feel pain, even the extremists'.

The issue in the OP is after 20 weeks gestation, or 22 weeks LMP (what any typical person would call "22 weeks pregnant"), at which time the percentage of ending such pregnancies is very, very, very small...under a percent. It has never, ever been a huge problem among the population or a genocide or any of the other terms used by extremists. No woman in her right mind wants to attempt to abort a fetus at that age, IMO...if the idea is that "women are selfish" or it's "me me me," that only reinforces the desire to terminate the pregnancy earlier rather than go through more and more weeks of pregnancy; not to mention how obviously much more harrowing a late-term abortion is. So the "women are just selfish" thing doesn't fly, either.

Post-20 week abortion has never, ever been an overwhelming epidemic in the U.S. Ever.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It is one percent over the age of 20 weeks. From the way anti-choicers typically state things, it's made to sound like millions of women each year casually decide at six months pregnancy to abort, based on how "uncaring" they are...and that is just NOT true...period. The huge, overwhelming majority of women at least attempt to receive the procedure much sooner...way, way before viability. And certainly before anyone's definition (or theory) so far of the threshold where a fetus can feel pain, even the extremists'.
And to add to that amniocentesis is performed between 16 and 20 weeks gestation. Resulting terminations from unfavorable test results add to the numbers in the 16-20 week period.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And to add to that amniocentesis is performed between 16 and 20 weeks gestation. Resulting terminations from unfavorable test results add to the numbers in the 16-20 week period.
Yeah. Which is a horribly sad scenario. That is indeed the time period for amnio being performed, after which there's a waiting period for results. I was told in 2003 that it was a ten-day (ten work days) period before full results were in. The FSH initial tests could be in sooner but the whole panel would not be ready by then. (I didn't ask for an amnio during my last pregnancy in 2006 so I don't know whether that time frame still holds, but I'm assuming it does.)

Not every 20-week-plus abortion is due to women casually carrying a pregnancy for five months (is there any way to casually carry a pregnancy for five months?) and then suddenly screaming "girl power!" (to quote some misogynistic comments I've seen of late) and just...getting an abortion, just like that. It in fact takes a period of days (usually two) of cervix preparation before the procedure can even begin. It is NOT a case of waking up one morning very pregnant and saying, "I think I'll get an abortion today."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies