Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM

124 posts, read 369,065 times

Advertisements

hahahahahaha I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the inaccuracy of this list. My home state of Illinois should easily be in the top 5, along with New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and California.

No, this is a "bash the conservative Southern states and ignore places where corruption is most rampant"-list. I mean, c'mon...Chicago is renowned for its corruption and mismanagement of government funds. So many bureaucrats work for Cook County Government offices, which has long had problems of illegal hiring and cronyism. Not to mention the Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Housing Authority, and Chicago Transit Authority, all of which have extremely tainted ethical records (to say the least). Oh, and then we have Springfield that can NEVER produce a balanced budget.

Plus, let's not forget that stinking swamp that is the Chicago political machine has produced such "virtuous" leaders as Rod Blagojevich, Richard M Daley, and Barack Hussein Obama.

This list was an absolute joke. Mississippi, South Carolina, NEBRASKA...all more corrupt than Illinois? Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Where does your state stand?

Mine is #6.

The Most Corrupt States

The Most Corrupt States - The Daily Beast

As money pours into the Gulf, The Daily Beast crunches the numbers, from public embezzlement to private sector fraud, for all 50 states to rank which play dirty—and which have cleaned up their act.
I was surprised California, New York, and New Jersey ranked relatively low on corruption. Sometimes I think the real crimes are what's legal. I think the criteral used are too narrowly focused.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
hahahahahaha I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the inaccuracy of this list. My home state of Illinois should easily be in the top 5, along with New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and California.

No, this is a "bash the conservative Southern states and ignore places where corruption is most rampant"-list. I mean, c'mon...Chicago is renowned for its corruption and mismanagement of government funds. So many bureaucrats work for Cook County Government offices, which has long had problems of illegal hiring and cronyism. Not to mention the Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Housing Authority, and Chicago Transit Authority, all of which have extremely tainted ethical records (to say the least). Oh, and then we have Springfield that can NEVER produce a balanced budget.

Plus, let's not forget that stinking swamp that i Chicago political machine has produced such "virtuous" leaders as Rod Blagojevich, Richard M Daley, and Barack Hussein Obama.

This list was an absolute joke. Mississippi, South Carolina, NEBRASKA...all more corrupt than Illinois? Get real.

There are so many daily occurrences of corruption in Chicago, you get numb to them after awhile.
Daley,Stroger, Burris, Blago, Madigan, Chicago Alderman who are made mafia members...

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 05-13-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 02:26 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Governments can be inept but the private sector is inimical.
IMO they're made inept deliberately. This is the offhand price of allowing well heeled private sector to unduly influence. I'll break your engine, then claim myself to be hero fixing your car. Here's the bill.

These guys are pointing at our system but haven't figured out a clear alternative quite yet. The American Political Price System TNAT info. The North American - Google Docs

Luck the appearance of excess corruption in Jersey has more to do with population density and concentrations of wealth attracting the crime. 5,000 employees doing the right thing never make headlines.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For heavens sake, did you see where the study came from? What would you expect?

Nita

Looks like some kind of leftist blog out of the dark mind of Hollywood's elites. Just a guess.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
We're #1! We're #1!

I've often wondered about this type of rating, and the frequency of how often you hear about this official or that official getting arrested for corruption of one kind or another...

Does that mean the state is more corrupt or is more effort being done to catch and arrest people? For example, living in Tennessee now, you hear fairly often about an official of one kind or another being arrested, charged, convicted etc., but when I lived in Washington and Oregon, I rarely if ever did.

LA, NJ, Illinois, NV--there's no way that Tennessee, GA, or #10 SC could touch the level of corruption of the aforementioned states. LOL--eventually a Southerner will let the secrets slip.

I didn't like the way the article was laid out. Time Consuming to click through the picture gallery and then I had to scroll right to see the paragraphs, not that anyone at the Daily Beast would care about that.

Are people in WA and OR more pure? Seriously doubtful.
Tennessee Tarheel?

I was surprised at that. White Lightning must take its toll.

I think GA was #11--we have a few centuries of skeletons in our closets no doubt about that.

I was puzzled at how the percentages in each category were compiled.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
DC is a district, not a state. But, you're right.
It's #36 on the list linked to in the OP. That's why I mentioned it.

(Yes, really, I do know DC isn't a state.)

Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Wow, I thought Illinois would be MUCH higher, if not the highest on the list. Look at some of it's Hall of Fame/Shame members:

You forgot to put the corrupt Republicans on the list.Besides if it weren't for you St. Louisans and Kansas Citians, Missouri would be much lower on the list.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I was surprised California, New York, and New Jersey ranked relatively low on corruption. Sometimes I think the real crimes are what's legal. I think the criteral used are too narrowly focused.
I'm not shocked that my home state ranked relatively low in that survey. The problem with what goes on in Albany (that's the capital of New York State, for anyone who hasn't got an atlas handy) isn't so much corruption as it is plain, outright incompetence. Yeah, there's a nice side dish of corruption, but our wonderful state government has a lot to get past before corruption is the #1 culprit in these parts.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post

Plus, let's not forget that stinking swamp that is the Chicago political machine has produced such "virtuous" leaders as Rod Blagojevich, Richard M Daley, and Barack Hussein Obama.

I think it's interesting to note that NY attorney general is Dem busting a Dem. Seems they haven't gone very far out of their way to protect crooks in their own ranks.

I recall a (R) sheriff in Texas having a hell of an uphill fight busting (R) DeLay. I'd say he had considerable more corruption to deal with when networking is afoot protecting weasels because 'he's one of our own'. I'm glad he's out there doing his job impartially just the same. We all need more like him.

So many of the stories highlighted involved mortgage fraud on multi million $ scale. The deregulation involved feeding criminals was sponsored by whom, what party, and who won/ lost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies