Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”

George Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,047 times
"Prudence, policy, and a true Christian spirit, will lead us to look with compassion upon their errors, without insulting them." Washington

Maxims of Washington: political ... - Google Books

Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM

“Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”

George Washington

Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM

“The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained”

George Washington

Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
I just watch a few minutes of his show and he had two men from I think from Liberty University. At least one of them said the Founding Fathers were Evangelical Christians - where is the evidence for this notion?

I believe most of them were Deists including Washington and Jefferson - meaning they believed that God created man, but certainly not Christians.
Yes, they were mostly unitarians and universalists who talked about 'creator' anf God but not about Jesus Christ.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.â€

George Washington
Religious quotes that never were

Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, they were mostly unitarians and universalists who talked about 'creator' anf God but not about Jesus Christ.

Nonsense.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
You do now that the book has been long debunked as a pious fraud, right?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM

=Finn_Jarber;14318931]Yes, they were mostly unitarians and universalists who talked about 'creator' anf God but not about Jesus Christ.[/quote]

Samuel Adams
Father of the American Revolution, Signer of the Declaration of Independence
I . . . recommend my Soul to that Almighty Being who gave it, and my body I commit to the dust, relying upon the merits of Jesus Christ for a pardon of all my sins.

John Dickinson
Signer of the Constitution
Rendering thanks to my Creator for my existence and station among His works, for my birth in a country enlightened by the Gospel and enjoying freedom, and for all His other kindnesses, to Him I resign myself, humbly confiding in His goodness and in His mercy through Jesus Christ for the events of eternity.
Patrick Henry
Governor of Virginia, Patriot
This is all the inheritance I can give to my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.

Robert Treat Paine
Signer of the Declaration of Independence
I desire to bless and praise the name of God most high for appointing me my birth in a land of Gospel Light where the glorious tidings of a Savior and of pardon and salvation through Him have been continually sounding in mine ears.
Rufus Putnam
Revolutionary War General, First Surveyor General of the United States

[F]irst, I give my soul to a holy, sovereign God Who gave it in humble hope of a blessed immortality through the atonement and righteousness of Jesus Christ and the sanctifying grace of the Holy Spirit. My body I commit to the earth to be buried in a decent Christian manner. I fully believe that this body shall, by the mighty power of God, be raised to life at the last day.

Benjamin Rush
Signer of the Declaration of Independence

My only hope of salvation is in the infinite, transcendent love of God manifested to the world by the death of His Son upon the cross. Nothing but His blood will wash away my sins. I rely exclusively upon it. Come, Lord Jesus! Come quickly!
WallBuilders - Historical Writings - The Founders As Christians

Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 PM

217 posts, read 125,893 times
He doesn't care. It supports his false idols and ideas so its all true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies