Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Really?

No, it has not been concluded that the Founding Fathers were Christians. And Catholicism was not the major religion in England at the time.

Make up your mind. "it has not been concluded that the Founding Fathers were Christians." "what I said was that some of the Founding Fathers were Christians"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditTheFed View Post
Anyone who advocates for the American system to be over thrown and something else put in place IS NOT a "real" American. Real Americans love and fight for this country HOW IT WAS INTENDED TO BE, not some progressive utopia that will never exist. The Constitution even refers to these people as the "Enemy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you need to watch a bit more of Beck since those two men and others he has had on have held forth about the things Washington and Jefferson said in letters and speeches that indicate much more than Deists.

Why would Washington have allowed that painting of him praying on bent knee on the battlefield?
Prayer is not part of a Deist's religion. To argue that Washington was a praying Deist is an oxymoron. Deists don't believe in prayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
"and don't let my body be put into the vault in less than three days after I am dead."

Why do you suppose the significance of that is to a Deist? Why would he care?
Quote:
Deists aren't afraid of being buried alive?

Remember the bells that used to be placed graveside. It was a Victorian practice because people feared being interred while still alive. It wasn't just a fear during Victorian times. It was a fear that is frequently referenced throughout history.
No, I don't remember. I'm not quite that old.

So you think Washington was afraid of being buried alive? Then, why specify 3 days and not 2 or 4?

I think "3" is very significant here. Does it not make you think twice?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Make up your mind. "it has not been concluded that the Founding Fathers were Christians." "what I said was that some of the Founding Fathers were Christians"
Do you speak English as your first language?

When I responded to another poster's claim, "It's been concluded that the Founding Fathers were Christians", by saying "No, it has not been concluded that the Founding Fathers were Christians.", I was refuting his statement that was an absolutism. I further refute absolute statements about the Founding Fathers with qualifiers ("some" is a qualifier) in my own assertions. The poster I responded to made an absolute statement. I refuted the absolute statement. My own assertion was qualified. That's how the English language works.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Prayer is not part of a Deist's religion. To argue that Washington was a praying Deist is an oxymoron. Deists don't believe in prayer.

No, I don't remember. I'm not quite that old.

So you think Washington was afraid of being buried alive? Then, why specify 3 days and not 2 or 4?

I think "3" is very significant here. Does it not make you think twice?
Deists don't believe in prayer? Why not?

They're not atheists. They believe in a god. Why not prayer?

Nope, "3" doesn't make me think twice. I think 2 days without food and water I could still be alive, 4 days, probably dead. 3 days is a happy medium.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Please list the Founders who were not Christians. Full names.
Benjamin Franklin as he writes, in his own words, in his autobiography:

"Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."

Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Nope, "3" doesn't make me think twice. I think 2 days without food and water I could still be alive, 4 days, probably dead. 3 days is a happy medium.
Deists don't believe in prayer because they don't believe God is involved with us mere humanity. They believe God created and set us loose and turned His back on all of us and does not communicate, nor hear our prayers. So, they don't pray. To them, there is no such thing as "divine providence".

As to your comment about viewing "3 days" as a happy medium - - OK, but there might have been another reason for Washington to specify no burial before 3 days are up.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,525 times
Quote:

"Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."
You provided one name you believe is not a Christian.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:

I think the general idea among Deists (and I may be one, depending on how you define the term, except for weekends, when I am a Taoist) is that prayer is pointless in terms of "asking" for things.

The idea is God either isn't listening or doesn't care, or doesn't care in "that way."

But prayer for purposes other than asking for Divine Intervention...sure, why not? A prayer acknowledging the beauty and wonder of the Universe? Sure.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM

214 posts, read 120,389 times
Quote:

WOW a whole ONE! Well folks there you have it, the founders were definitely not Christians.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I think the general idea among Deists (and I may be one, depending on how you define the term, except for weekends, when I am a Taoist) is that prayer is pointless in terms of "asking" for things.

The idea is God either isn't listening or doesn't care, or doesn't care in "that way."

But prayer for purposes other than asking for Divine Intervention...sure, why not? A prayer acknowledging the beauty and wonder of the Universe? Sure.
But who is there to hear or receive it but oneself? So, what's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies