Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I disagree. If truth and light can shine forth from a person, deception and darkness must also be able to do the same.

I will agree that this is an issue of decency but also disagree that it does not incorporate liberal vs conservative biases. I am willing to say that a vast majority of those persons defending Thomas' inane remarks are political liberals, i.e., Democrats.
Defending Helen Thomas versus defending her most recent comments are actually two entirely different things.

Sadly, when I hear the rightwingers latch on to these issues, and demonize someone (in this case Helen Thomas, next week, someone new) I also realize
their utter ignorance in understanding the body of work put forth, or the uncomfortable questions other journalists were too fearful to ask and that Helen Thomas was not.

A profile in journalistic courage.

She can misspeak, or she can hold a view I dont agree with, but that certainly does not detract from her accomplishments, and they are many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
More double standard in Washington . When the conservative reporters ask the hard questions , they are ignored , lectured , demonized , threatened to lose their credentials , etc. But , Helen Thomas is a " profile in journalistic courage " ? Keep telling yourself that , if it makes you feel better .

Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
An ugly outward appearance is not within one's control.
Ugliness on the inside is.

It's not a lberal issue, it's not a conservative issue, it's an issue of decency.

It would be shocking if she is permitted in the whitehouse, let alone continuing to work as a "journalist".
Nah, she must keep the job, otherwise antisemites will go nuts and blame jews for her losing her job. Everyone knows she's an antisemite now. Whomever takes her seriously still is an antisemite as well when it comes to issues of Israel.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times
You have to admit, the media isn't really talking about this at all. This is from youtube, blogs, and some convservative leaning news sources. Had a famous journalist said something like that about blacks, it would have been on every major network.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
You have to admit, the media isn't really talking about this at all. This is from youtube, blogs, and some convservative leaning news sources. Had a famous journalist said something like that about blacks, it would have been on every major network.
Ahh , somebody " get's it " .

Old 06-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
She can misspeak, or she can hold a view I dont agree with, but that certainly does not detract from her accomplishments, and they are many
BTW , what ARE her many accomplishments ?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Defending Helen Thomas versus defending her most recent comments are actually two entirely different things.

Sadly, when I hear the rightwingers latch on to these issues, and demonize someone (in this case Helen Thomas, next week, someone new) I also realize
their utter ignorance in understanding the body of work put forth, or the uncomfortable questions other journalists were too fearful to ask and that Helen Thomas was not.

A profile in journalistic courage.

She can misspeak, or she can hold a view I dont agree with, but that certainly does not detract from her accomplishments, and they are many.
Ah yes, relativism at its best. The utter ignorance appears to have been in this woman who made such a unenlightened statement and those who excuse it.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Good idea.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ah yes, relativism at its best. The utter ignorance appears to have been in this woman who made such a unenlightened statement and those who excuse it.
Actually, its about ignorant people who twist it out of context to suit their agenda, the same one that thinks President Obama was born in Kenya or Indonesia.

How much attention should really be given to these people?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
But let Jan Brewer sign legislation aimed at sending illegal aliens back to where they came from and the double standard is unfurled........

Oh yeah, that's different......gotcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies