Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times

Advertisements

Yes and no. I'd say their first response was to try to see what type of political capital they could get from the spill, a little " I told you so" and " they wanted more drilling and we didn't" was probably what they thought would get them some positive press and public support. Then they let it go and nobody knew just how bad a disaster it actually was. Then they had zero plans and zero leadership in trying to push for a response to try to stop it or minimize the environmental impact. Thats what made Obama look like an uncaring fool. He's actually letting his PR get worse with those idiotic vacations and musical galas. Talk about dumb. Bush was deservedly roasted for the governments slow response to Hurricane Katrina but Obama has been an even bigger failure when it comes to the oil spill. You can't trust big companies to look out for people and you can't trust the government to do anything. Or at least you can't trust Obama and crew to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Yes and no. I'd say their first response was to try to see what type of political capital they could get from the spill, a little " I told you so" and " they wanted more drilling and we didn't" was probably what they thought would get them some positive press and public support. Then they let it go and nobody knew just how bad a disaster it actually was. Then they had zero plans and zero leadership in trying to push for a response to try to stop it or minimize the environmental impact. Thats what made Obama look like an uncaring fool. He's actually letting his PR get worse with those idiotic vacations and musical galas. Talk about dumb. Bush was deservedly roasted for the governments slow response to Hurricane Katrina but Obama has been an even bigger failure when it comes to the oil spill. You can't trust big companies to look out for people and you can't trust the government to do anything. Or at least you can't trust Obama and crew to do anything.
The Govt response was immediate. Did they overly trust the Industry to be able to deal with it? Yes. In Katrina, there was no Industry to overly trust, a significant difference.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I kinda wish that the whole southern US could be obliterated off the map myself. It retards the country's progress by leaps and bounds. But I do feel for anyone who earns a livelihood in those states and for the innocent wildlife and fellow citizens who are feeling the pain
Your tolerance is boundless.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
People sem to have had enough of leadership by fingerpointing more and more.
That's because it isn't leadership. There is something...immature...about this administration. The boot on the neck comments, the feigned anger, the painful first visit to the beach.

Hell, just look at the nonsense it took to get a healthcare bill through. Pelosi showed leadership qualities while Obama stood by and wrung his hands. IMO this crisis has exposed Obama for the empty suit he really is and turned him into a one term president.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Right up front, I don't.

But I was listening to economist Larry Kudlow's radio show this morning and I was astonished at the number of people calling in claiming Obama was just following the Cloward/Piven and Saul Alinsky method for the destroying the economy.

I just think Obama is a terrible manager and has no one on his staff good enough to help him. Surround yourself with academics and you get a lot of pithy talking points, but these folks couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, much less a crisis the magnitude of this oil spill.
You mean within 15 minutes of the explosion Obama wasn't in a wet suit diving down , assessing the damage?

Do you mean that he waited to hear assesments/FACTS of the damage before responding?

WHAT did you expect him to do faster?

WHY are you taking BP's and Halliburton's RESPONSIBILITY and shoving it off on Obama? More Fascist style Corporate Worship?

How about:

...Do You Think Halliburton Being Involved In Creating ANOTHER Republican Mess for Obama to Deal With Was On Purpose?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,929 times
No.

But according to Congressman Don Young of R-AK.

"This is not an environmental disaster, and I will say that again and again."

I guess he didn't see the oil saturated Pelicans on the Beaches.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

How about:

...Do You Think Halliburton Being Involved In Creating ANOTHER Republican Mess for Obama to Deal With Was On Purpose?

Cute. That might work for you and others of your ilk, but the ineptness of the Obama administration has been exposed to the American public, and only the diehard true-believers think this guy knows what he's doing.

This has nothing to do with Bush, or Cheney, or Halliburton or any of the other bugaboos you libs like to frighten yourselves with. This is all about Obama's inability to manage a crisis.

And don't think Iran isn't watching.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Cute. That might work for you and others of your ilk, but the ineptness of the Obama administration has been exposed to the American public, and only the diehard true-believers think this guy knows what he's doing.

This has nothing to do with Bush, or Cheney, or Halliburton or any of the other bugaboos you libs like to frighten yourselves with. This is all about Obama's inability to manage a crisis.

And don't think Iran isn't watching.
Once AGAIN the great UNanswered questions that Repugs can't answer)

W H A T did you expect Obama to do sooner?

W H Y don't you think the BP CORPORATION is not responsible and Obama is??

IF BP/Halliburton/Transoceanic didn't know what to do(oil "EXPERTS") why do you think Obama should've known what to do?

(See what happens when you repugs TRUST corporations? NOW you want government(Obama) to have more power...LOLOLOLOL)

It's REALLY all about Bush's miserable response to a PREDICTED disaster....now Repugs think they can twist it......ain't working among THINKING people...

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 06-07-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 AM

418 posts, read 1,090,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Do Lemon Aid stands provide bandages for wounded lemons? Or perhaps you mean lemonade? Do you think the President is as articulate as you?
OK,OK Lemonade, there I fixed it, he still is the very worst.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

It's REALLY all about Bush's miserable response to a PREDICTED disaster....now Repugs think they can twist it......ain't working among THINKING people...
Sigh. Bush again. It will always and ever be GWB with you folks. Makes life easy, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies